Re: Another question about S927 becoming S918 - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: Another question about S927 becoming S918 - Hewlett Packard ; Now that I know the boards are not interchangable and the chassis is completely different, I have another question for you (by the way, thanks a million to all who responded), can I take the internal disk drives from Series ...

  1. Re: Another question about S927 becoming S918

    Now that I know the boards are not interchangable and the chassis is completely different, I have another question for you (by the way, thanks a million to all who responded), can I take the internal disk drives from Series 918RX (it has MPE i/X 7.0 and all the information I would need) and put them into 927LX.
    I also would need to add 10/100 Nic card to 927LX (and the internal disk drives from Series 918RX already have all the right software and the configuration for the NIC card).

    Will this work with no problem if I just change the boot path for 927LX?? My main goal is to have MPE i/X 7.0 and Nic card on 927LX.?

  2. Re: Another question about S927 becoming S918

    Greg, 7.0 won't boot up on a 9x7 system.

    CDR Paul Edwards USNR Ret. HP 3000 Certified Consultant
    Paul Edwards & Associates
    1506 Estates Way Phone: (972) 242-6660
    Carrollton TX 75006 Cel : (214) 384-8728
    Email: pedwards@gte.net Web : www.peassoc.com
    Now that I know the boards are not interchangable and the chassis is
    completely different, I have another question for you (by the way, thanks a
    million to all who responded), can I take the internal disk drives from
    Series 918RX (it has MPE i/X 7.0 and all the information I would need) and
    put them into 927LX.
    I also would need to add 10/100 Nic card to 927LX (and the internal disk
    drives from Series 918RX already have all the right software and the
    configuration for the NIC card).

    Will this work with no problem if I just change the boot path for 927LX?? My
    main goal is to have MPE i/X 7.0 and Nic card on 927LX.?

  3. Re: Another question about S927 becoming S918

    Greg,

    I don't think you want a 10/100 card on your 927.

    IIRC the 10 mb half duplex is a "smart" network card and does not put a load on your CPU.

    The 100mb full duplex will require CPU interrupts, and hence more CPU.

    The 927 is just not powerful enough to fully utilize the CPU.

    -Craig

    > Now that I know the boards are not interchangable and the
    > chassis is completely different, I have another question for
    > you (by the way, thanks a million to all who responded), can
    > I take the internal disk drives from Series 918RX (it has
    > MPE i/X 7.0 and all the information I would need) and put
    > them into 927LX.
    > I also would need to add 10/100 Nic card to 927LX (and the
    > internal disk drives from Series 918RX already have all the
    > right software and the configuration for the NIC card).
    >
    > Will this work with no problem if I just change the boot
    > path for 927LX?? My main goal is to have MPE i/X 7.0 and Nic
    > card on 927LX.?
    >

    > * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list
    > settings, *
    > * etc., please visit
    > http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html *

  4. Re: Another question about S927 becoming S918

    --- On Mon, 8/11/08, Paul Edwards wrote:

    > Greg, 7.0 won't boot up on a 9x7 system.

    **************************

    That too.... :-)

    -Craig

  5. Re: Another question about S927 becoming S918

    >Paul Edwards wrote:
    >
    > > Greg, 7.0 won't boot up on a 9x7 system.

    >**************************
    >
    >That too.... :-)
    >
    >-Craig Lalley

    Indeed. All the more cruel and crippling because 7.0 once did boot on
    9x7s, in those months when the OS version was still in
    partner-testing beta phase. Upon 7.0's release, HP decided to disable
    9x7's boots as a market strategy. Or was it the lack of power on the
    9x7s? Sure, that's it...

    It's the kind of thing that could make a 3000 community member
    frustrated enough to locate a way to finish the job HP started on
    7.0. Good, sensible members, too.
    --
    Ron Seybold, Editor In Chief
    The 3000 NewsWire -- 512.331.0075 -- rseybold@sbcglobal.net