How to suggest features to the hp calculator team? - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on How to suggest features to the hp calculator team? - Hewlett Packard ; ditto....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 60

  1. How to suggest features to the hp calculator team?

    ditto.

  2. Re: How to suggest features to the hp calculator team?

    On Aug 10, 2:09*pm, Toby wrote:
    > ditto.

    What kind of features are missing on the 50g? I think software-wise,
    it's about as good as a handheld calculator gets. Anything more
    complicated calls for a computer.

    It just needs better hardware. Some of my keys are starting to get
    mushy and it's less than two years old.

    S.C.

  3. Re: How to suggest features to the hp calculator team?

    On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 11:09:21 -0700 (PDT), Toby
    wrote:

    >ditto.

    They don't care

    A.L.

  4. Re: How to suggest features to the hp calculator team?

    Apply for the recently announced job at HP

    ..

  5. Re: How to suggest features to the hp calculator team?

    You could file a feature request here, http://bugs.hpcalc.org , but I
    don't know if anyone looks at this anymore. If you do file something,
    make sure you change the Severity field to "Enhancement".

    Brandon Del Bel

  6. Re: How to suggest features to the hp calculator team?

    On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 22:10:41 -0500:

    > You could file a feature request here, http://bugs.hpcalc.org , but I
    > don't know if anyone looks at this anymore. If you do file something,
    > make sure you change the Severity field to "Enhancement".

    That would be features for an existing calculator,
    which may have ceased receiving any attention,
    particularly as that was not even an HP site,
    although formerly used by developers formerly employed by HP;
    was the subject about that,
    or possibly about future products (if any)?

    Eric's domain _seems_ like an official HP site, though,
    doesn't it, because it's so good and so useful,
    as well as a boon to HP, still selling these same calculators
    (some of them even through Eric as a dealer

    -[ ]-

  7. Re: How to suggest features to the hp calculator team?

    ProductLog aka LambertW analytic function integrated into CAS, too.
    timed forced program execution (as alarm)
    and as a programmable timer
    look at the very old features of the 1st gen Saturn based 71B
    or the historical 41C with TIMER module (rather 41CX)
    accuracy factor to compensate time drift etc
    give back vectored ENTER in ALG node
    make APPLY EVALuation to work as it should once again
    oh, there are numerous old and new functionality
    BUT
    instead of all this
    HP should give us a Qonos-like PDA with calculator keyboard
    forget about expensive SDRAM and give us big memory and speed
    User Language could be RPL/2 and CAS Parisse's xCAS
    so then it could be Linux based

    50SX as an entry model
    100SX as a student model
    200SX as a full blown Linux model with software tools installed
    wrote in message
    On Aug 10, 2:09 pm, Toby wrote:
    > ditto.

    What kind of features are missing on the 50g? I think software-wise,
    it's about as good as a handheld calculator gets. Anything more
    complicated calls for a computer.

    It just needs better hardware. Some of my keys are starting to get
    mushy and it's less than two years old.

    S.C.

  8. Re: How to suggest features to the hp calculator team?

    hello,

    not true.

    cyrille

    "A.L." wrote in message
    > On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 11:09:21 -0700 (PDT), Toby
    > wrote:
    >
    >>ditto.

    > They don't care
    >
    > A.L.

  9. Re: How to suggest features to the hp calculator team?

    Something I have suggested for years: The log of the Gamma function.

    If you use a Lanczos approximation, it can be valid in the whole
    complex plane (using the reflection formula for negative real part).

    A Google search produced this url:

    http://www.rskey.org/gamma.htm

    I may try my hand at it.

    martin cohen

  10. Re: How to suggest features to the hp calculator team?

    cyrille de brebisson wrote:

    > not true.

    cool! :-) could you guys please pretty please make an anniversary edition
    of the 16C? (and/or the 15C as well, I'll take both) like you did for the
    12C? please?

    other question: why does the top of the line 50g doesn't have a color
    display?

    --Sylvain

  11. Re: How to suggest features to the hp calculator team?

    On Aug 11, 8:53*am, "cyrille de brebisson" wrote:
    > hello,
    >
    > not true.

    Is is really not true? If HP cared about feature requests, they would
    have release ROM 2.10-C already. The fact that they have not, is not a
    good sign. Perhaps I am wrong. I would presume you would know better
    about the workings of the HP calculator division than most of the rest
    of us. Unfortunately you are also probably limited in exactly what you
    can say. I don't suppose you can just announce any future plans for
    the 48/49 series, right? If you can just announce the plans, please
    enlighten us. I presume you can't just come right out and tell us what
    project the recent job request is for either, could you?

  12. Re: How to suggest features to the hp calculator team?

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 04:36:55 -0500, Sylvain wrote:

    > why does the top of the line 50g not have a color display?

    Could it have anything to do with these?
    http://education.ti.com/educationpor..._graphing.html

    Here's where the color goes:
    http://education.ti.com/educationpor...ide_cases.html
    http://education.ti.com/educationpor...aceplates.html

    What happened to even these formerly colorful folks?
    http://www.casio.com/products/Calcul...ries/Graphing/

    But can it play music videos?
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004TVDN

    The "user reviews" for the product above are interesting.

    For example, a teacher writes:

    Hands down, the Casio wins, and it is cheaper as well.
    The calculator is more user friendly.
    The options are menu driven in a more intuitive way.
    What took me a minute or two to locate and figure out out the TI,
    took less than half the time on the Casio...
    The color thing I suppose is nice,
    but I use the CFX-9750, which is black and white and cheaper.

    A parent writes:

    I bought this graphing calculator for my daughter in High School.
    She requested this model mainly for the color display...
    ...my daughter prefers the Casio because it is easier to use
    and she has not had any problems applying the general class instructions.

    What if Casio and HP were to merge, and produce the... CASHP 9960G ?

    -[ ]-

  13. Re: How to suggest features to the hp calculator team?

    using an educated guess: for better web support
    using java applets to simulate something like calculus training sessions

    hp 35S with big ENTER etc,, tells what CB says
    It's a miracle that hp still produces calcs
    I hope they will take schools back

    totally non-symbolic basic graphing calcs are needed
    cheap & easy: let JYA strip off 38g+ to hp 37G with USB

    VPN

    "username localhost" wrote in message
    On Aug 11, 8:53 am, "cyrille de brebisson" wrote:
    > hello,
    >
    > not true.

    Is is really not true? If HP cared about feature requests, they would
    have release ROM 2.10-C already. The fact that they have not, is not a
    good sign. Perhaps I am wrong. I would presume you would know better
    about the workings of the HP calculator division than most of the rest
    of us. Unfortunately you are also probably limited in exactly what you
    can say. I don't suppose you can just announce any future plans for
    the 48/49 series, right? If you can just announce the plans, please
    enlighten us. I presume you can't just come right out and tell us what
    project the recent job request is for either, could you?

  14. Re: How to suggest features to the hp calculator team?

    On Aug 12, 5:36*am, Sylvain wrote:
    > other question: *why does the top of the line 50g doesn't have a color
    > display?

    Color displays use more power. The 50g's battery life is already
    dreadful as is. Plus, color screens (like the one on the Casio
    PowerGraphic) are not as crisp as monochrome ones. After using the
    Casio color screen calculator, I still prefer grayscale displays.

    S.C.

  15. Re: How to suggest features to the hp calculator team?

    On Aug 12, 2:01*pm, "John H Meyers" wrote:
    > But can it play music videos?http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004TVDN
    >
    > The "user reviews" for the product above are interesting.
    >
    > For example, a teacher writes:
    >
    > * Hands down, the Casio wins, and it is cheaper as well.
    > * The calculator is more user friendly.
    > * The options are menu driven in a more intuitive way.
    > * What took me a minute or two to locate and figure out out the TI,
    > * took less than half the time on the Casio...
    > * The color thing I suppose is nice,
    > * but I use the CFX-9750, which is black and white and cheaper.

    TI has the USA school system eating out of its hands. Their marketing
    division deserves some credit though with the TI-83/84 series hype.
    The original vanilla TI-83 was introduced 12 years ago in 1996. Now,
    it is still being sold, though re-named the TI-84+/silver. The TI-84's
    promise keystroke-for-keystroke compatibility with the TI-83, which is
    a fancy way of saying "We didn't bother to put any new features into
    this 12-year-old calculator."

    I prefer my $9 Casio fx-260 solar pocket scientific to the brick-sized
    TI-84's. I can do calculations faster on the Casio than the TI because
    it uses a mixed ALG/RPN entry (though I prefer pure RPN

    Another interesting fact is that currently on Amazon, the TI-84 silver
    sells for $135 while the 50g sells for only $118. A no-brainer if
    there ever was one. [Even if you refuse to go HP, the TI-89 Titanium
    costs only $140, making me strongly question why anyone would buy the
    TI-84 silver]

    S.C.

  16. Re: How to suggest features to the hp calculator team?

    wrote:
    > The 50g's battery life is already dreadful as is.

    That's only because the voltage regulation circuitry on the 50g is so poorly
    designed. I suspect that with a better design, using modern voltage
    regulation technology, battery life could be increased by at least 50%, and
    possibly much more. HP just has to show some interest in making the changes
    and doing another rev of the board.

    There might be a potential cost increase, too, but not by more than the cost
    of a set of AAA batteries.

    Regards,

    Eric Rechlin

  17. Re: How to suggest features to the hp calculator team?

    I would love to C a PDA with Lithium battery charged via USB
    with a slide out calculator keyboard
    using no expensive SDRAM, but all the memory of a full-blown PDA
    use the slimmest cheap model with 3G phone and PDA software
    plus RPL/2 and xiac/xCAS using ALL the RAM
    forget about Saturn compatibility and step into the future!!

    VPN

    wrote in message
    On Aug 12, 5:36 am, Sylvain wrote:
    > other question: why does the top of the line 50g doesn't have a color
    > display?

    Color displays use more power. The 50g's battery life is already
    dreadful as is. Plus, color screens (like the one on the Casio
    PowerGraphic) are not as crisp as monochrome ones. After using the
    Casio color screen calculator, I still prefer grayscale displays.

    S.C.

  18. Re: How to suggest features to the hp calculator team?

    sc_usenet@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Color displays use more power. The 50g's battery life is already
    > dreadful as is. Plus, color screens (like the one on the Casio
    > PowerGraphic) are not as crisp as monochrome ones. After using the
    > Casio color screen calculator, I still prefer grayscale displays.

    The color display of the iPod nano for instance is quite sharp yet the
    battery life is quite phenomenal (when you realize what the thing does);
    hence my question.

    --Sylvain

  19. Re: How to suggest features to the hp calculator team?

    On Aug 12, 6:41*pm, Sylvain wrote:
    > The color display of the iPod nano for instance is quite sharp yet the
    > battery life is quite phenomenal (when you realize what the thing does);
    > hence my question.
    >
    > --Sylvain

    The iPod nano has a Li-ion rechargable battery with higher capacity
    than AAA batteries. It claims 24 hours of battery life when playing
    music, but you have to realize that the display backlight is not
    always on. When playing video, the backlight is always on and battery
    life is reduced to a claimed 5 hours. Five hour battery life on a
    calculator would not be acceptable...

    S.C.

  20. Re: How to suggest features to the hp calculator team?

    On Aug 12, 6:37*pm, "Eric Rechlin" wrote:
    > That's only because the voltage regulation circuitry on the 50g is so poorly
    > designed. *I suspect that with a better design, using modern voltage
    > regulation technology, battery life could be increased by at least 50%, and
    > possibly much more. *HP just has to show some interest in making the changes
    > and doing another rev of the board.
    >
    > There might be a potential cost increase, too, but not by more than the cost
    > of a set of AAA batteries. *

    Luckily, I use rechargable Ni-MH batteries

    I would still appreciate not having to charge them as frequently
    though. (HP, are you listening?)

    S.C.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast