HP All-In-One LaserJet 3390 - No IP Address - DHCP - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HP All-In-One LaserJet 3390 - No IP Address - DHCP - Hewlett Packard ; My HP 3390 All-In-On LaserJet printer was, but is no longer, working on the LAN. The printer works fine via USB port but not ethernet. I suspect the NIC card if faulty. My configuation is 3390 printer, inkjet printer, and ...

  1. HP All-In-One LaserJet 3390 - No IP Address - DHCP

    My HP 3390 All-In-On LaserJet printer was, but is no longer, working
    on the LAN. The printer works fine via USB port but not ethernet.

    I suspect the NIC card if faulty.

    My configuation is 3390 printer, inkjet printer, and 2 WinXP (one
    wireless) connected to Linksys router. Router provides DHCP.
    Inkjet and both XPs obtain IP addresses, but not 3390.

    Initial symptoms were that the PC's failed to see the router.
    Re-installing printer software to PCs resulted in software failing to
    see the printer.

    Observation of the lights on the RJ port of the printer show constant
    green. I presume this means that it sees a voltage on one of the
    pins. Power cycle of the printer results in constant green and the
    yellow light on the RJ port of the printer flashing several times. I
    suspect this indicates that another of the pins has a voltage and is
    indicative that an ethernet packet was received or maybe transmitted.

    Through the printer counsel, I reset the printer to factory settings
    and then configured the printer's network setting to 1) automatic and
    2) manual using a predefined IP address. I obtained the status of the
    printer via the 3390 print reports. In the first case, the best I get
    is IP_Address=Configuring. In the second case, Ping from the XP
    fails to see the printer.

    HP declines to provide hardware support other than offering a
    refurbished printer or an upgrade printer. The will provide phone
    support but no parts.

    It is unclear whether the printer uses jetdirect as there is no easy
    access to the NIC card.

    Suggestions?

    a) Suggested configuration?
    b) I have a bridge that I could connect to the 3390. Is there
    software that I could put on one of the XPs, then connect the XP to
    the bridge, and get a protocol trace to see whats going on with the
    yellow lights.

  2. Re: HP All-In-One LaserJet 3390 - No IP Address - DHCP

    kiselink@bellsouth.net wrote:
    > My HP 3390 All-In-On LaserJet printer was, but is no longer, working
    > on the LAN. The printer works fine via USB port but not ethernet.
    >
    > I suspect the NIC card if faulty.
    >
    > My configuation is 3390 printer, inkjet printer, and 2 WinXP (one
    > wireless) connected to Linksys router. Router provides DHCP.
    > Inkjet and both XPs obtain IP addresses, but not 3390.

    DHCP might be your trouble, unless you have it set to assign a static
    address to the printer by MAC.

    > Initial symptoms were that the PC's failed to see the router.
    > Re-installing printer software to PCs resulted in software failing to
    > see the printer.

    "Failing to see" doesn't really pin down a precise symptom. What were
    the error messages?

    > Through the printer counsel, I reset the printer to factory settings
    > and then configured the printer's network setting to 1) automatic and
    > 2) manual using a predefined IP address. I obtained the status of the
    > printer via the 3390 print reports. In the first case, the best I get
    > is IP_Address=Configuring.

    Waiting on DHCP, maybe. Which could be a bad Ethernet cable despite
    lights on the RJ45. Or it could be the router configuration has
    changed, or the router needs to be reset.

    In a home network, just set the printer to manual config and give it an
    IP address and netmask that match the rest of the network.

    > In the second case, Ping from the XP fails to see the printer.

    Okay, but what were the IP and netmask of both the printer and computer?

    > It is unclear whether the printer uses jetdirect as there is no easy
    > access to the NIC card.

    HP network print servers are JetDirects. Many newer printers have an
    embedded JetDirect built into the motherboard instead of a removable
    card.

  3. Re: HP All-In-One LaserJet 3390 - No IP Address - DHCP

    On 7 Aug 2008 15:18:58 GMT, Warren Block wrote:

    >DHCP might be your trouble, unless you have it set to assign a static
    >address to the printer by MAC.

    What is MAC?

    >> Initial symptoms were that the PC's failed to see the router.
    >> Re-installing printer software to PCs resulted in software failing to
    >> see the printer.

    >"Failing to see" doesn't really pin down a precise symptom. What were
    >the error messages?

    They weren't descriptive - they are application layer messages from
    the installation program. The software suggested that a firewall may
    be blocking the discovery of the printer. However, this should be
    irrelevant and consistant with the fact that the printer never obtains
    an IP address.

    >> Through the printer counsel, I reset the printer to factory settings
    >> and then configured the printer's network setting to 1) automatic and
    >> 2) manual using a predefined IP address. I obtained the status of the
    >> printer via the 3390 print reports. In the first case, the best I get
    >> is IP_Address=Configuring.

    >Waiting on DHCP, maybe. Which could be a bad Ethernet cable despite
    >lights on the RJ45. Or it could be the router configuration has
    >changed, or the router needs to be reset.

    I flipped cables between the printer and PC. Therefore no cable
    problem. I also inspected the pins on the RJ-45 port and confirmed
    there were none bent.

    I did reset the router to factory settings. Then set the routers IP
    address to 10.10.1.1 and subnetmask to 255.255.255.0.

    Mind you through all this, I have a canon printer on the LAN that is
    functioning. Using IP config I can also freely use ipconfig /release
    / renew and re-establish new ip addresses on the XPs. This suggests
    that DHCP is alive and well.

    >In a home network, just set the printer to manual config and give it an
    >IP address and netmask that match the rest of the network.
    >
    >> In the second case, Ping from the XP fails to see the printer.

    >Okay, but what were the IP and netmask of both the printer and computer?

    The XPs had IP addresses of 10.10.1.101, 10.10.1.102. I randomly set
    the printer to 10.10.1.106 with subnetmask=255.255.255.0.

    >> It is unclear whether the printer uses jetdirect as there is no easy
    >> access to the NIC card.

    >HP network print servers are JetDirects. Many newer printers have an
    >embedded JetDirect built into the motherboard instead of a removable
    >card.

    I bet that is the case with the 3390 - I called some hardware sales
    places and they stated there was no jetdirect card.

    Additional suggests?
    Can I park my XP on a hub with the printer and turn it into a protocol
    monitor to see the packets?

  4. Re: HP All-In-One LaserJet 3390 - No IP Address - DHCP

    kiselink@bellsouth.net wrote:
    > On 7 Aug 2008 15:18:58 GMT, Warren Block wrote:
    >
    >>DHCP might be your trouble, unless you have it set to assign a static
    >>address to the printer by MAC.

    > What is MAC?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_Address

    A decent DHCP server will let you assign a fixed address by MAC, so the
    printer won't suddenly be at a new address unknown to the computers.

    > I flipped cables between the printer and PC. Therefore no cable
    > problem. I also inspected the pins on the RJ-45 port and confirmed
    > there were none bent.
    >
    > I did reset the router to factory settings. Then set the routers IP
    > address to 10.10.1.1 and subnetmask to 255.255.255.0.
    >
    > Mind you through all this, I have a canon printer on the LAN that is
    > functioning. Using IP config I can also freely use ipconfig /release
    > / renew and re-establish new ip addresses on the XPs. This suggests
    > that DHCP is alive and well.

    Agreed. Check that the printer is plugged into one of the normal ports
    on the router. Maybe swap it with one of the computers.

    > Additional suggests?

    After the above test, I'd say if HP is willing to replace the printer,
    do it.

    > Can I park my XP on a hub with the printer and turn it into a protocol
    > monitor to see the packets?

    Should be able to, with this:

    http://www.wireshark.org/

  5. Re: HP All-In-One LaserJet 3390 - No IP Address - DHCP

    On 7 Aug 2008 15:18:58 GMT, Warren Block wrote:

    >DHCP might be your trouble, unless you have it set to assign a static
    >address to the printer by MAC.

    Rather than setting it to a static ip, I create the TCP/IP port on the
    computer using the printer NAME as displayed on the router table,
    instead of the ip address. That's easier than a fixed ip and avoid
    conflicts. The NAME of the printer is always the same, regardless of
    whether the address is determined by DHCP or static assignment.
    --
    Chris Cowles
    Gainesville, FL

  6. Re: HP All-In-One LaserJet 3390 - No IP Address - DHCP

    Chris Cowles wrote:
    > On 7 Aug 2008 15:18:58 GMT, Warren Block wrote:
    >
    >>DHCP might be your trouble, unless you have it set to assign a static
    >>address to the printer by MAC.

    > Rather than setting it to a static ip, I create the TCP/IP port on the
    > computer using the printer NAME as displayed on the router table,
    > instead of the ip address. That's easier than a fixed ip and avoid
    > conflicts. The NAME of the printer is always the same, regardless of
    > whether the address is determined by DHCP or static assignment.

    The MAC is always available, but I think the name is only available if
    you're using NetBIOS (Windows) networking.

  7. Re: HP All-In-One LaserJet 3390 - No IP Address - DHCP

    On Aug 7, 10:15*am, kisel...@bellsouth.net wrote:
    > My HP 3390 All-In-On LaserJet printer was, but is no longer, working
    > on the LAN. *The printer works fine via USB port but not ethernet. *
    >
    > I suspect the NIC card if faulty.
    >
    > My configuation is 3390 printer, *inkjet printer, *and 2 WinXP (one
    > wireless) connected to Linksys router. *Router provides DHCP.
    > Inkjet and both XPs obtain IP addresses, but not 3390.
    >
    > Initial symptoms were that the PC's failed to see the router.
    > Re-installing printer software to PCs resulted in software failing to
    > see the printer.
    >
    > Observation of the lights on the RJ port of the printer show constant
    > green. *I presume this means that it sees a voltage on one of the
    > pins. *Power cycle of the printer results in constant green and the
    > yellow light on the RJ port of the printer flashing several times. *I
    > suspect this indicates that another of the pins has a voltage and is
    > indicative that an ethernet packet was received or maybe transmitted.
    >
    > Through the printer counsel, I reset the printer to factory settings
    > and then configured the printer's network setting to 1) automatic and
    > 2) manual using a predefined IP address. *I obtained the status of the
    > printer via the 3390 print reports. *In the first case, the best I get
    > is IP_Address=Configuring. * In the second case, Ping from the XP
    > fails to see the printer. *
    >
    > HP declines to provide hardware support other than offering a
    > refurbished printer or an upgrade printer. *The will provide phone
    > support but no parts. *
    >
    > It is unclear whether the printer uses jetdirect as there is no easy
    > access to the NIC card. *
    >
    > Suggestions? *
    >
    > a) Suggested configuration?
    > b) I have a bridge that I could connect to the 3390. *Is there
    > software that I could put on one of the XPs, then connect the XP to
    > the bridge, and get a protocol trace to see whats going on with the
    > yellow lights.

    Same problems with same printer - NIC seems faulty. Tried manual and
    dhcp settings on internal subnet (192.168.1.xx) and tried different
    known network cables. Managed to ping a static addy once, then no
    more. Tried several different computers to access. No luck - very
    frustrating. Will return the printer.

  8. Re: HP All-In-One LaserJet 3390 - No IP Address - DHCP

    Regarding:
    http://www.wireshark.org/

    Nice analyzer.

    Wireshark shows that the printer is pumping out Gratuitous ARP if I
    provision a fixed ip address. Thus, the printer is at least able to
    speak out.

    Apparently JETDIRECT is not used on the printer and the ethernet
    interface is integral to the motherboard.

    The following shows how to hack up a printer.
    http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=s...printerhacking

    Do you know of a SNMP reader that will figure out the mibs available
    in the printer and there current values?

+ Reply to Thread