Re: Trying To Read Input Spoolfiles Problem - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: Trying To Read Input Spoolfiles Problem - Hewlett Packard ; I did this according to Stan's posting way back in 2005 but no such luck for me Processing File:=>I1.IN.HPSPOOL HPFOPEN: CANNOT FOPEN FILE=>-0109>+000000000>-0109>I1.IN.HPSPOOL UNDEFINED FILE SYSTEM ERROR **** PROGRAM QUIT; PARAM = -109 ABORT: STRMFIND.NMPRG.DEV NM SYS a.010071ec dbg_abort_trace+$28 NM ...

  1. Re: Trying To Read Input Spoolfiles Problem

    I did this according to Stan's posting way back in 2005 but no such luck for me

    Processing File:=>I1.IN.HPSPOOL <
    HPFOPEN: CANNOT FOPEN FILE=>-0109>+000000000>-0109>I1.IN.HPSPOOL <
    UNDEFINED FILE SYSTEM ERROR

    **** PROGRAM QUIT; PARAM = -109
    ABORT: STRMFIND.NMPRG.DEV
    NM SYS a.010071ec dbg_abort_trace+$28
    NM PROG 4a4.0000caf8 strmfind+$38b0

    Program terminated in an error state. (CIERR 976)

    -109 is the error code returned by HPFOPEN
    +000000000 is the file number returned by HPFOPEN

    My code is:

    MOVE +2 TO WS-ITEM-NUM-1
    MOVE WS-ORIG-FILE-NAME TO WS-ITEM-1

    MOVE +3 TO WS-ITEM-NUM-2
    MOVE +1 TO WS-ITEM-2

    MOVE +13 TO WS-ITEM-NUM-3
    MOVE +3 TO WS-ITEM-3

    MOVE +38 TO WS-ITEM-NUM-4
    MOVE +2 TO WS-ITEM-4

    MOVE ZEROES TO WS-ITEM-NUM-5
    WS-FILE-NUM-2
    INITIALIZE WS-ERROR-CODE-DOUBLE
    CALL INTRINSIC "GETPRIVMODE"
    CALL INTRINSIC "HPFOPEN" USING WS-FILE-NUM-2
    WS-ERROR-CODE-DOUBLE
    WS-ITEM-NUM-1
    WS-ITEM-1
    WS-ITEM-NUM-2
    WS-ITEM-2
    WS-ITEM-NUM-3
    WS-ITEM-3
    WS-ITEM-NUM-4
    WS-ITEM-4
    WS-ITEM-NUM-5
    WS-ITEM-5
    IF WS-ECD-1 <> ZEROES THEN
    MOVE WS-ECD-1 TO WS-ERROR-CODE
    DISPLAY "HPFOPEN: CANNOT FOPEN FILE=>" WS-ECD-1 ">"
    WS-FILE-NUM-2 ">"
    WS-ERROR-CODE ">"
    WS-ORIG-FILE-NAME
    "<"
    PERFORM B104-BLOW-AWAY
    THRU B104-EXIT
    END-IF

    On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 11:53:50 -0400, Edward Berner
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 11:42:27 EDT, Brian Donaldson wrote:
    >

    >>In a message dated 8/3/2008 11:15:40 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
    >>Guenter.Kuhn@ssd-it.ch writes:
    >>
    >>use HPFopen to open input spoolfiles with the following options:
    >>
    >>2: Formal File Designator %Innn.IN.HPSPOOL%
    >>3: Domain: 1 (permanent)
    >>9: Dissallow file: 1
    >>29: Priv-Level: 2
    >>
    >>works perfectly since many years. If you work with input spoolfile
    >>

    >>Nice try but it won't work for me. My problem isn't the FOPEN, it's the
    >>FREAD that isn't reading the
    >>records... The file is being FOPENed ok but the FREAD is failing.
    >>
    >>However, as my program is riddled with calls to FOPEN, mixing and matching
    >>is a *big* no-no. Why?
    >>Because, as I discovered many eons ago, FOPEN and HPFOPEN can return the
    >>SAME file number on
    >>different files!! OUCH!
    >>
    >>I don't know if HP ever fixed this problem, but I doubt it and if it hasn't
    >>been fixed, then I doubt they ever will
    >>fix it now.........
    >>
    >>Life in the fast lane......
    >>
    >>Brian.
    >>

    >This rang a bit of a bell so I searched the archives. According to the
    >following messages, HPFOPEN is required to read input spool files.
    >
    >http://raven.utc.edu/cgi-bin/WA.EXE?...0&F=&S=&P=9238
    >http://raven.utc.edu/cgi-bin/WA.EXE?...&F=&S=&P=10250
    >
    >(Or, on Google:
    >http://groups.google.com/group/comp....17fe8a24ed4f3b
    >)
    >

    >Edward Berner

  2. Re: Trying To Read Input Spoolfiles Problem

    Hi Brian,

    File system error -109 can be found by invoking the MSGUTIL.PUB.SYS utility(you also need to have the whole error code which tells you that the subsystem number is #143, and the error part is -#109):

    : msgutil
    ****** MSGUTIL -- SYSTEM CATALOG MESSAGE DISPLAY UTILITY ******

    ---------------- INTERACTIVE MODE ----------------

    M - Message display
    T - Time display
    E - Exit

    Menu Selection >m

    Enter SUBSYSTEM # [ = quit] >143

    File System

    Enter MESSAGE # [ = quit] >109
    The file name did not start with an alphabetic character.
    (FILE SYSTEM ERROR -109)
    File System message 109

    File System

    Enter MESSAGE # [ = quit] >

    Based on that error message, and your file name (I1.IN.HPSPOOL), I'm guessing that the file name passed to HPFOPEN was not properly quoted. According to the Intrinsics Manual (http://www.docs.hp.com/en/32650-90905/ch07s29.html) "the first charater (the the item number 2 value string) is interpreted as a delimiter, and all subsequent characters, up to the next occurrence ofthe delimiter, comprise the formal designator." My guess is that the name passed in was I1.IN.HPSPOOL, which would result in the "I" character being interpretted as the delimiter, with a resulting name of "1." (the string value up until the matching "I" delimiter) being parsed and rejected by HPFOPEN.

    So, check to make sure that the string being passed to HPFOPEN is in the form of "I1.IN.HPSPOOL" (including the quotes) or %I1.IN.HPSPOOL% or +I1.IN.HPSPOOL+ or any other paired delimiter characters.

    Take Care,
    Craig