Re: Help with HP3000 918-LX boot problem - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: Help with HP3000 918-LX boot problem - Hewlett Packard ; On Sun, August 3, 2008 12:33, Craig Lalley wrote: > > James, > > Is 56/52.4 the correct boot path? i.e. is it LDEV 1? > > You may want to boot from tape, > > bo alt > ODE ...

  1. Re: Help with HP3000 918-LX boot problem

    On Sun, August 3, 2008 12:33, Craig Lalley wrote:

    > James,
    >
    > Is 56/52.4 the correct boot path? i.e. is it LDEV 1?
    >
    > You may want to boot from tape,
    >
    > bo alt
    > ODE <--- Offline Diagnotic Environment
    > RUN MAPPER
    >
    > This will tell you if the system can see ldev 1.
    >
    > At this point, I would double check scsi cables, if your drives are
    > external... look for bent pins.... and always, always check the
    > terminators.
    >
    > Terminators can go bad, I found out the hard way.

    I ran mapper and it cannot see the drive set to 6

    ODE> run mapper

    ************************************************** *************************
    ****** ******
    ****** MAPPER ******
    ****** ******
    ****** Copyright (C) 1995-2001 by Hewlett-Packard Company ******
    ****** All Rights Reserved ******
    ****** ******
    ****** HP shall not be liable for any damages resulting from the ******
    ****** use of this program. ******
    ****** ******
    ****** Version A.02.48 ******
    ****** ******
    ************************************************** *************************

    Type HELP for command information.

    STARTING EXECUTION OF MAPPER

    Processor Identification:
    Hardware Model: 480H, Revision: 0
    Software Model: 4H, Revision: 0
    Hardware ID: 0, Software ID: 189156361 (unsigned decimal)
    Software Cap: 0x10000031
    MPE/XL Model String: 918LX#C
    Processor Board Revisions:
    CPU - CPU Chip: 12
    PDC - Processor Dependent Code: 1.3
    Cache and TLB Sizes:
    Instruction Cache: 32 K bytes, Instruction TLB: 64 entries
    Data Cache: 32 K bytes, Data TLB: 64 entries
    Co-processors:
    Floating Point Co-processor is installed

    I/O Configuration:
    Type HW SW Revisions
    Path Component Name ID Mod Mod Hdwr Firm
    ---------- ----------------------------------- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----
    56 Upper Bus Converter 7H 500H CH 0 0
    56/52 HP-PB SCSI 4H 14H 39H 0 0
    56/52.0.0 HPC1537A tape drive - - - - L111
    56/52.4.0 IBM DXHS18Y - - - - 0430
    56/52.5.0 SEAGATE ST318417N - - - - 0105
    56/56 HP-PB LAN/Console 2H 14H 60H 0 1
    56/60 HP-PB Port 7H 103H CH 0 0
    62 Processor 0H 480H 4H 0 0
    63 Memory (512 M bytes) 1H 22H 9H 0 0
    Slot 0A - 64M enabled
    Slot 0B - 64M enabled
    Slot 1A - 64M enabled
    Slot 1B - 64M enabled
    Slot 2A - 64M enabled
    Slot 2B - 64M enabled
    Slot 3A - 64M enabled
    Slot 3B - 64M enabled

    Resetting the Boot Device...
    Done.

    Exiting...

    RUN COMPLETED.

    I have the box open on my desk and there are three HDDs present, 2 x
    ST318417Ns and the IBM DXHS18Y. I checked the address jumpers and they
    are correctly set. There was no external scsi terminator so I added one
    and it seems properly set. I have no idea on how to test if it works or
    not.

    I have pulled a spare ST318417N from the IT vault and if I cannot resolve
    the problem any other way then I will replace the suspect drive and do a
    reload.

    Our setup uses one drive for the system volume, one drive for the user
    data volset and a third drive for an online store-to-disc repository
    volset. The evidence seems to indicate that the system disk has failed, an
    odd coincidence but hardly an unforeseen possibility.

    Thanks for the help. It was invaluable.

    Regards,

    --
    *** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
    9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241

  2. Re: Help with HP3000 918-LX boot problem

    Jim,

    If you remove all the other drives from the chain... You can remove the tape drive after you boot from mapper and run ODE.

    Does it see the .6 drive if it is the only one on the chain?

    -Craig

> [...]

    > jumpers and they
    > are correctly set. There was no external scsi terminator
    > so I added one
    > and it seems properly set. I have no idea on how to test if
    > it works or
    > not.
    >
    > I have pulled a spare ST318417N from the IT vault and if I
    > cannot resolve
    > the problem any other way then I will replace the suspect
    > drive and do a
    > reload.
    >
    > Our setup uses one drive for the system volume, one drive
    > for the user
    > data volset and a third drive for an online store-to-disc
    > repository
    > volset. The evidence seems to indicate that the system disk
    > has failed, an
    > odd coincidence but hardly an unforeseen possibility.

  3. Re: Help with HP3000 918-LX boot problem

    On Sun, August 3, 2008 14:04, James B. Byrne wrote:

    > I have pulled a spare ST318417N from the IT vault and if I cannot resolve
    > the problem any other way then I will replace the suspect drive and do a
    > reload.

    I replaced the suspect drive and restarted the system. Search now sees
    the device so the problem appears to be a dud drive. I will conduct a
    reload and return to my ... wait for it ... usual programming...

    Regards, and thanks very much for the help.