newbie question - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on newbie question - Hewlett Packard ; I downloaded AutoOFF 49 from hpcalc.org. I want to install this program to give me more control over the shutoff time of my 50g. Would anyone like to guide me step by step how to do this? I am clueless ...

  1. newbie question

    I downloaded AutoOFF 49 from hpcalc.org. I want to install this program to
    give me more control over the shutoff time of my 50g. Would anyone like to
    guide me step by step how to do this? I am clueless at this point and would
    appreciate any help. I do know how to set up xmodem server and conn4x but I
    get lost beyond that.

    Any help is appreciated,
    Tom

  2. Re: newbie question

    On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 00:14:10 -0500, Tom wrote:

    > I downloaded AutoOFF 49 from hpcalc.org.
    > I want to install this program
    > to give me more control over the shutoff time of my 50g.

    That particular program is an example of something
    which doesn't do anything that you can't do
    extremely easily for yourself.

    Just multiply the number of seconds delay you want by #2000h
    (or multiply minutes by #78000h)
    and store into a variable named 'TOFF'

    AutoOFF spices this up by having a CHOOSE menu
    present fixed choices for 1, 3, or 5 minutes,
    and finally another choice to input your own number of minutes.

    If you need a program for that, how about:

    @ Minutes -> set TOFF
    \<< #78000h * { HOME ::TOFF STO } PATH + EVAL \>> [54 bytes]

    (Size of original AutoOFF was 292 bytes

    I'm sure you'll be back soon,
    asking how to download some more substantial programs
    (or may find an SD card a pretty good way to transport them,
    instead of bulky cable and clunky computer software

    [r->] [OFF]

  3. Re: newbie question

    "John H Meyers" wrote in message
    newsp.ufa8pb0hnn735j@miu.edu...
    > On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 00:14:10 -0500, Tom wrote:
    >
    >> I downloaded AutoOFF 49 from hpcalc.org.
    >> I want to install this program
    >> to give me more control over the shutoff time of my 50g.

    > That particular program is an example of something
    > which doesn't do anything that you can't do
    > extremely easily for yourself.
    >
    > Just multiply the number of seconds delay you want by #2000h
    > (or multiply minutes by #78000h)
    > and store into a variable named 'TOFF'
    >
    > AutoOFF spices this up by having a CHOOSE menu
    > present fixed choices for 1, 3, or 5 minutes,
    > and finally another choice to input your own number of minutes.
    >
    > If you need a program for that, how about:
    >
    > @ Minutes -> set TOFF
    > \<< #78000h * { HOME ::TOFF STO } PATH + EVAL \>> [54 bytes]
    >
    > (Size of original AutoOFF was 292 bytes
    >
    > I'm sure you'll be back soon,
    > asking how to download some more substantial programs
    > (or may find an SD card a pretty good way to transport them,
    > instead of bulky cable and clunky computer software
    >
    > [r->] [OFF]

    Thanks John,

    Great! Amazingly simple. I'm sitting here testing it now. The five minute
    cutoff time was annoying. I always keep spare batteries with me so I don't
    care if it shortens the battery life.

    Tom

  4. Re: newbie question

    On Aug 3, 7:21*pm, "Tom" wrote:

    > > @ Minutes -> set TOFF
    > > \<< #78000h * { HOME ::TOFF STO } PATH + EVAL \>> [54 bytes]

    > Great! *Amazingly simple.

    or even simpler:

    \<< #78000h * PATH SWAP HOME 'TOFF' STO EVAL \>> [50.5 bytes]

    -wes

  5. Re: newbie question [about TOFF]

    On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 11:21:02 -0500:

    [about storing "turn off" time in 'TOFF'
    which should be a binary number of "clock ticks" (1/8192_sec)]

    > The five minute cutoff time was annoying.
    > I always keep spare batteries with me
    > so I don't care if it shortens the battery life.

    Manual turn-off is still allowed

    Various computer applications (such as email,
    with "check for mail every NN minutes")
    want to spare the user from having to ask
    "how long do I have to specify for never doing this?"
    (which would seem to require the value "infinity"),
    so there is often a convention that "zero" means "never,"
    but no such luck in these calculators, where "zero"
    means "five seconds" (at least there's this "floor" value,
    giving you a fighting chance to recover
    from what would otherwise be a rather crippling problem

    There is, however, a maximum value that can work,
    so you can not specify "forever," not even in a computer emulator;
    this is in fact one of the two main reasons why Emu48
    provides for ROM "patches" -- one common patch overlays
    one single instruction of the "beep" function,
    alerting Emu48 to make a beep on the PC on behalf of absent physical
    transducer hardware, and sometimes another single instruction
    is overlaid to bypass the "turn off" function.

    More about 'TOFF'
    (maximum value said to be 2^31-1 ticks, or approximately 3 days)
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....4a7f29eb142a63

    That's just over 4369 minutes, in case anyone wondered

    [r->] [OFF]

  6. Re: newbie question [about TOFF]

    John H Meyers wrote:
    > On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 11:21:02 -0500:
    >
    > [about storing "turn off" time in 'TOFF'
    > which should be a binary number of "clock ticks" (1/8192_sec)]
    >
    >> The five minute cutoff time was annoying.
    >> I always keep spare batteries with me
    >> so I don't care if it shortens the battery life.

    > Manual turn-off is still allowed

    [snip useful stuff]

    Also note that the HP50G powers itself from the USB port when the USB
    cable is connected. So if you are using it near a PC you can save
    batteries this way without having to turn it off.

    Regards,
    --
    Bruce Horrocks
    Surrey