Re: OT: Oil prices, and is it a conspiracy of sorts? - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: OT: Oil prices, and is it a conspiracy of sorts? - Hewlett Packard ; Hello again, Ray. I wanted to bring this one to you attention: This past week, Nancy Pelosi (D-San Francisco, that haven of conservatism) did everything in her power to prevent any type of vote on opening up drilling. I suggest ...

  1. Re: OT: Oil prices, and is it a conspiracy of sorts?

    Hello again, Ray. I wanted to bring this one to you attention:

    This past week, Nancy Pelosi (D-San Francisco, that haven of conservatism)
    did everything in her power to prevent any type of vote on opening up
    drilling. I suggest you read the article below from the San Francisco
    Chronicle where you will find this snippet:

    "Even some Democrats are getting antsy, fearing the party's stance could
    hurt them in the fall elections. But Pelosi, who has opposed offshore
    drilling throughout her two decades in Congress, insists opening new areas
    to drilling won't lower gas prices in the short term. She believes a vote
    would only help the GOP blame Democrats for high gas prices.

    "I will not . give the administration an excuse for its failure," Pelosi
    said at an end-of-session roundtable interview Thursday.

    Pelosi drew derision from her critics for telling the Web site Politico this
    week that she was blocking a vote on offshore drilling because "I'm trying
    to save the planet." But she elaborated on that theme Thursday, saying she
    sees energy independence and fighting global warming as "my flagship issue."
    She said she will use her power to resist a policy that could increase the
    country's oil dependency.

    "I'm not going to be diverted for a political tactic from a course of action
    that has a big-picture view - a vision about an energy-independent future
    that reduces our dependence on fossil fuels . and focuses on those
    renewables that are protective of the environment," she said.

    Some Democrats have already started to shift their views. Rep. Tim Holden,
    D-Pa., who voted two years ago against drilling in the Arctic National
    Wildlife Refuge and for a federal ban on offshore drilling, told a hometown
    paper last weekend he now wants to "drill everywhere."

    A new CNN/Opinion Research poll released this week found that 69 percent of
    Americans favor more offshore drilling, while 30 percent oppose it. But the
    poll found the public was split over whether more coastal drilling would
    lower gas prices, with 51 percent saying yes and 49 percent saying no."

    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...SH122TA3.DTL&f
    eed=rss.bayarea

    When Bush 43 got rid of the executive branch moratorium on off-shore
    drilling a few weeks ago, the price of a barrel of oil took a sizable
    tumble. Imagine how much of a tumble it would further take if the Democrats
    cared more about the country than they do about their power, especially when
    the public is more than 2 to 1 in favor of increased drilling.

    Denys.