3KVA UPS units. - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on 3KVA UPS units. - Hewlett Packard ; We have recently had one of our HP PowerTrust units disabled and, given the difficulty our support organization is ahving coming up with a repair or a replacement, I am considering replacing it and its mate as well. Both units ...

  1. 3KVA UPS units.

    We have recently had one of our HP PowerTrust units disabled and, given
    the difficulty our support organization is ahving coming up with a repair
    or a replacement, I am considering replacing it and its mate as well.
    Both units have been in service here since 1999. The batteries on the
    serviceable unit were replaced 2-3 years ago. Those on the disabled unit
    were replaced just a couple of months ago and were destroyed by the unit
    failure.

    What rack mount UPS units in the 3KVA range do people here recommend? I
    see a couple of after market HP R3000 XRs for offer on e-bay and these are
    in the appropriate price range of ~$1000.00 CAD. Which manufacturer's
    equipment should I consider?

    Regards,

    --
    *** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
    9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241

  2. Re: 3KVA UPS units.

    On Thu, July 31, 2008 09:34, Chris Bartram wrote:

    > FWIW I go with APC units in all my data centers. They've been highly
    > reliable, their management capabilities are superb, they have
    > serial-connect, USB-connect, and network-connected shutdown agents
    > available
    > for a wide variety of Oses (not MPE though), and their support has been
    > superb. I've used nearly every model they support, from small 200-1400watt
    > units at home to a pool of redundant/parallel 120kw Silcon UPSes in one of
    > the data centers I manage.

    OK. I will look into APC. I use their gear on all of our workstations and
    for our pbx. The HP PowerTrust units came with the equipment cabinets when
    we moved to the HP3000-918LX and we have used them ever since. I do
    recall that we seem to have had much more trouble with the PT UPS units
    than we have had with the 918.

    > Keep in mind that nothing but the old/obsolete Powertrust units will
    > "speak" via a serial interface so that a 3000 can do the auto-shutdown
    > stuff built into MPE/iX,

    I never managed to get this to work. I kept getting some obscure error in
    the HP3000 configuration and despite begin given assistance here on the
    list I never did get it working. So, no loss there in any case.

    > You may have also discovered the hard way (as we did) that PowerTrust
    > units REALLY don't like to receive power from other (upstream) UPSes.

    Both units are in separate cabinets and both plug directly into the mains.
    As a matter of practice arising from some bad experiences in the mid 1990s
    I do not daisy chain UPS units. For some vendors, a sine wave turned out
    to be more of a metaphor than a reality.

    Thanks for the help.

    --
    *** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
    9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241
    Hamilton, Ontario fax: +1 905 561 0757
    Canada L8E 3C3

  3. Re: 3KVA UPS units.

    one nice thing about the apc ups' is their ability to respond to snmp
    queries. I wrote some scripts (and a job) that monitor an apc ups from a
    3000. as long as all is well....the monitor job quietly does it's little
    thing. it's when 'interesting' happens that things liven up.

    in particular, when the monitor detects that power has switched to the ups,
    it's starts sending alerts (including emailing folks). there is also the
    notion of a threshold in the script -- primarily its for when battery life
    is getting low. when the threshold is crossed, the scripts streams a
    shutdown job and then calls the shutdown command (that is ever so cleverly
    wrapped in a udc that's available on jazz ;-). with this in place, the
    system will/can gracefully shut itself down without intervention.

    if want the scripts, let me know offline....

    if you want to craft your own solution, here are the mibs I use in the
    scripts:

    setvar _um_mib_prefix ".1.3.6.1.4.1.318."
    setvar _um_battery_status "Battery Status,1.1.1.2.1.1.0"
    setvar _um_battery_replace "Battery Replacement Indicator,1.1.1.2.2.4.0"
    setvar _um_pct_left "Pct Battery Capacity Left,1.1.1.2.2.1.0"
    setvar _um_basic_status "Basic Status,1.1.1.4.1.1.0"
    setvar _um_basic_output "Basic Output State,1.1.1.11.1.1.0"
    setvar _um_time_left "Battery Time Remaining,1.1.1.2.2.3.0"

    - d

    ---
    Donna Hofmeister
    Allegro Consultants, Inc.