HP48 IR and Linux - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HP48 IR and Linux - Hewlett Packard ; Hello. Does anybody know how (if possible at all) to make an HP48 and a Linux laptop communicate via infrared? I installed the IrDA modules, but I can't get the calc to talk through kermit to the computer. Thanks. -- ...

  1. HP48 IR and Linux

    --
    Fabrice DELENTE

  2. Re: HP48 IR and Linux

    fdelente@mail.cpod.fr wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > Does anybody know how (if possible at all) to make an HP48 and a Linux
    > laptop communicate via infrared? I installed the IrDA modules, but I can't
    > get the calc to talk through kermit to the computer.
    >
    > Thanks.

    long time ago (about 10 years ago) I did this with a debian distribution
    and my hp48sx. I did _not_ configure the irda port as irda, i just used
    it as a "normal" tty. But don't ask me about details, as I said it was
    a long time ago ...

    Cheers
    Ralf

  3. Re: HP48 IR and Linux

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 12:58:48 +0200, wrote:

    > Hello.
    >
    > Does anybody know how (if possible at all) to make an HP48 and a Linux
    > laptop communicate via infrared? I installed the IrDA modules, but I can't
    > get the calc to talk through kermit to the computer.
    >
    > Thanks.

    The HP48 does not talk IRDA.
    If your laptop does not have a RS232 port then you may use a 10$ USB-to-RS232
    converter - yes, even with Linux.

    --
    This signature intentionally left almost blank.
    http://www.this-page-intentionally-left-blank.org/

  4. Re: HP48 IR and Linux

    Ralf Geiger wrote:
    > long time ago (about 10 years ago) I did this with a debian distribution
    > and my hp48sx. I did _not_ configure the irda port as irda, i just used
    > it as a "normal" tty. But don't ask me about details, as I said it was
    > a long time ago ...

    Ok, so it is possible. I will continue my investigations :^)

    --
    Fabrice DELENTE

  5. Re: HP48 IR and Linux

    Hello,

    please take a look into the c.s.hp48 archives
    and the articles and forum archives of www.hpmuseum.org .

    The topic HP-IR vs. IrDA has been addressed every few months,
    and IIRC the related questions have been answered there;-)

    However a practical solution has been given by Georg Bisseling
    in this thread.

    And why use slow and unreliable IR at 2400 bps max,
    when you can have a fast, simple and transparent
    serial connection with 9600 bps ?

    HTH

    Raymond

    schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Hello.
    >
    > Does anybody know how (if possible at all) to make an HP48 and a Linux
    > laptop communicate via infrared? I installed the IrDA modules, but I can't
    > get the calc to talk through kermit to the computer.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Fabrice DELENTE

  6. Re: HP48 IR and Linux

    Raymond Del Tondo wrote:
    > please take a look into the c.s.hp48 archives
    > and the articles and forum archives of www.hpmuseum.org .
    >
    > The topic HP-IR vs. IrDA has been addressed every few months,
    > and IIRC the related questions have been answered there;-)

    Well I have looked in both these archives, but didn't find anything. Have
    you any more precise info :^) ?

    > However a practical solution has been given by Georg Bisseling
    > in this thread.

    Yes, but I don't want to buy any hardware.

    > And why use slow and unreliable IR at 2400 bps max,
    > when you can have a fast, simple and transparent
    > serial connection with 9600 bps ?

    Because I very seldom use my HP48, so I don't want to spend ~35EUR (price of
    an RS-232/USB converter around my place). And besides, HP48 has an IR port,
    laptop has an IR port, so it should work :^)

    --
    Fabrice DELENTE

  7. Re: HP48 IR and Linux

    In article <48970d26$0$6005$426a74cc@news.free.fr>,
    wrote:
    >Raymond Del Tondo wrote:
    >> please take a look into the c.s.hp48 archives
    >> and the articles and forum archives of www.hpmuseum.org .
    >>
    >> The topic HP-IR vs. IrDA has been addressed every few months,
    >> and IIRC the related questions have been answered there;-)

    >Well I have looked in both these archives, but didn't find anything. Have
    >you any more precise info :^) ?
    >
    >> However a practical solution has been given by Georg Bisseling
    >> in this thread.

    >Yes, but I don't want to buy any hardware.
    >
    >> And why use slow and unreliable IR at 2400 bps max,
    >> when you can have a fast, simple and transparent
    >> serial connection with 9600 bps ?

    >Because I very seldom use my HP48, so I don't want to spend ~35EUR (price of
    >an RS-232/USB converter around my place).

    An RS-232 post might be useful also for other things than just connecting
    to a HP-48. But even better would be to get a computer with a real RS-232
    port.

    >And besides, HP48 has an IR port, laptop has an IR port, so it should work :^)

    It won't work, because the HP-48 IR port does not "speak" IrDA .... sorry!

    >--
    >Fabrice DELENTE

    e-mail: pausch at stjarnhimlen dot se
    WWW: http://stjarnhimlen.se/

  8. Re: HP48 IR and Linux

    Paul Schlyter wrote:
    > It won't work, because the HP-48 IR port does not "speak" IrDA .... sorry!

    Yes, but I tried LIRC, and started xmode2 which allows to see the impulsion