Cross-Reference Tool - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Cross-Reference Tool - Hewlett Packard ; We have recently begun our migration off the HP3000. I'm need to find a cross-reference tool that will allow me to determine what programs reference the data items in our TurboImage databases since the vendor we currently use did not ...

  1. Cross-Reference Tool

    We have recently begun our migration off the HP3000.

    I'm need to find a cross-reference tool that will allow me to determine
    what programs reference the data items in our TurboImage databases since
    the vendor we currently use did not provide us with a data dictionary.

    We are currently running MPE/iX 7.0 PP3. We have Cobol, Pascal, and
    Fortran compilers on our systems. Thanks in advance.

    Regards,
    Robert Holtz
    Phoenix Police Department

  2. Re: Cross-Reference Tool

    Robert,

    Since you're using Cobol and probably use copy libraries, you could use
    Robot/3000 from Productive Software Systems

    http://www.prodsoft.com/index.htm

    (866) 417-8300 Toll Free
    (952) 417-8300 Telephone

    Michael Berkowitz
    Project Manager, CGS Application Solutions
    707 Wilshire Blvd Suite 1900
    Los Angeles, CA 90017-3509
    T: 213 614-1308
    F: 213 614-2028
    mberkowitz@cgsinc.com

    [HP3000-L] Cross-Reference Tool

    Robert Holtz
    to:
    HP3000-L
    07/29/2008 09:17 AM

    Sent by:
    HP-3000 Systems Discussion
    Please respond to robert.holtz

    We have recently begun our migration off the HP3000.

    I'm need to find a cross-reference tool that will allow me to determine
    what programs reference the data items in our TurboImage databases since
    the vendor we currently use did not provide us with a data dictionary.

    We are currently running MPE/iX 7.0 PP3. We have Cobol, Pascal, and
    Fortran compilers on our systems. Thanks in advance.

    Regards,
    Robert Holtz
    Phoenix Police Department

    NOTICE OF COMPANY CONFIDENTIALITY
    This e-mail, and any attachment to it, contains company confidential and/orprivileged information intended only for the use of the individual(s) named on the e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying or distribution of this information or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this e-mail transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by telephone immediately, and/or immediately return itto the sender, and delete it from your system.
    Thank you for your cooperation.

  3. Re: Cross-Reference Tool

    another option is to use grep.
    Larry Simonsen
    System Analyst
    Flowserve Corporation 1350 North Mountain Springs Parkway Springville,
    UT 84883 Phone: 801-489-2450 Fax: 801-491-1750
    All opinions expressed herein are my own and reflect, in no way, those of
    my employer.
    -------------------------------
    NOTICE: The information contained in this e-mail, and attachment(s)
    thereto, is confidential and may contain attorney - client privileged
    communications. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
    notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
    communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete
    the e-mail from your computer system without retaining any copies. Thank
    you.

    Michael Berkowitz
    Sent by: HP-3000 Systems Discussion
    07/29/2008 10:30 AM
    Please respond to
    MBerkowitz@CGSINC.COM

    HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU
    cc

    Subject
[...]

  4. Re: Cross-Reference Tool

    Michael Berkowitz wrote:
    > Since you're using Cobol and probably use copy libraries, you could use
    > Robot/3000 from Productive Software Systems
    >
    > http://www.prodsoft.com/index.htm

    Just an added plug.
    We used Robot/3000 many years ago at Valtek when running ASK/Manman.
    We had Fortran, SPL and Cobol.

    I think it is a great tool for indexing your source code.
    If you used some type of consistent naming technics in your code,
    you can study all/most occurances of an object like WorkOrder number,
    Part number, Class code, etc.

    We even wrote our own "query" application to use in batch, to
    track procedure usage for cleanup maintenance.

    There was another vendor tool, DOC/3000, that did similar
    scanning. But I have no real experience with it.

    Keven

  5. Re: Cross-Reference Tool

    In message <48907C9B.1050802@reeltapetransfer.com>, "Keven Miller (rtt)"
    writes
    >Robert Holtz wrote:
    >> We are currently running MPE/iX 7.0 PP3. We have Cobol, Pascal, and
    >> Fortran compilers on our systems. Thanks in advance.

    >There was another vendor tool, DOC/3000, that did similar
    >scanning. But I have no real experience with it.
    >
    >Keven

    I've used DOC/3000, and it would certainly do the job.

    However, the problem with it is likely getting hold of a copy, as I
    think it is now a moribund product.
    --
    Roy Brown 'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be
    Kelmscott Ltd useful, or believe to be beautiful' William Morris