Transaction Manager & limitation with MB Foster ODBC - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Transaction Manager & limitation with MB Foster ODBC - Hewlett Packard ; Hi Folks, our shop is still running on the venerable HP3000 platform, andwe are using MB Foster's ODBC software to access data in our HP3000 Image databases thru Microsoft Access. I have encountered a problem wherein the ODBC link is ...

  1. Transaction Manager & limitation with MB Foster ODBC

    Hi Folks, our shop is still running on the venerable HP3000 platform, andwe
    are using MB Foster's ODBC software to access data in our HP3000 Image
    databases thru Microsoft Access. I have encountered a problem wherein the
    ODBC link is failing because of some kind of limit to the number of updates that
    can be performed in one SQL statement. More specifically, when I run an SQL
    statement that updates 1750 rows of data, it goes thru, but when I try
    updating 1965 rows, it fails. So, the limit is somewhere between 1751 and
    1964 row updates. When I contacted MB Foster about this, here is the
    response I received:

    "The ability to increase [the number of row updates in a single SQL statement]
    is in MPE 6.5. It is a process that HP has put in this version. We believe that
    you use volutil to increase something involving transaction manager. We have
    no idea what this can be increased to, but if you wish to pursue this youwill
    have to contact HP. We believe that your best option is to limit the number
    of updates, perhaps using criteria in MS Access. Thank you."

    It seems MB Foster tech support is uncomfortable addressing this directly.. I
    no longer have HP support and this is not a critical problem--meaning yes, I
    can limit the updates by creating a dozen or so ad hoc SQL statements to
    limit the number of row updates--but I'd be happy for any advice that might
    resolve this.

    Thx, as always.

    Eben Yong
    Health Plan of San Mateo

  2. Re: Transaction Manager & limitation with MB Foster ODBC

    Eben,

    In VOLUTIL it is possible to increase the size of the XM log file.

    Originally the XM file was 64mb, split into two chunks of 32MB a piece.

    When the first log file fills up, a check point occurs, the second log file starts accumulating and the first posts to disc.

    If you have a high speed disc subsystem (VA or XP), increasing the size of the log file can improve system performance greatly. Although the law of diminishing returns does take place. Doubling or Tripling is safe, quadrupling or more maybe not.

    To see the current size:
    :volutil
    Volume Utility A.75.01, (C) Hewlett-Packard Co., 1987. All Rights Reserved.
    volutil: showuserlog mpexl_system_volume_set
    Transaction Manager User Log Size : 264256 sectors

    To double it:
    volutil: alteruserlog mpexl_system_volume_set 528512

    For the change to take affect you need to reboot the system... pay close attention when it is mounting all volumes... you will see the increase.

    A couple gotchas, make sure you have a large enough area of contiguous free space on the master.

    In theory a VSCLOSE and VSOPEN of the volume set should work, however, I have seen it crash the system.

    Don't do multiple volume sets, I have see issues, do them one at a time.

    Don't change the system XM log. in volutil showsyslog. The system log is smaller and keeps track of directory changes, i.e. new files, deleted files.

    HTH,

    -Craig