Re: Turbo Store Question (Problem maybe?) - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: Turbo Store Question (Problem maybe?) - Hewlett Packard ; there are no UDC's touching the DB in question. I suspect the backup program looks at the date and does not include the time in determining what to back up and what to leave alone. The DB in question was ...

  1. Re: Turbo Store Question (Problem maybe?)

    there are no UDC's touching the DB in question.

    I suspect the backup program looks at the date and does not include the time
    in determining what to back up and what to leave alone.

    The DB in question was accessed at 1:02am, full backup started at 7am and
    then the partial started at about 1pm immediately following the full system
    backup......

    The DB access/mod date is 07/27/08 the same as the backups so I am assuming
    that it is being included because the date in the partial backup states
    >=07/27/2008........

    That's what I think. However, it isn't exactly what I would want from a
    backup program. I would have preferred the DB to have not been on the backup
    tape......

    No big deal really, I guess....

    Brian.

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 20:05:18 -0500, Joseph Dolliver
    wrote:

    >At your logon, check the UDC's you have set and there may be a clue there

    as to why your DB files are opened.

    >HTH
    >
    >>From: Brian Donaldson
    >>Date: 2008/07/27 Sun PM 07:30:44 EDT
    >>To: HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU
    >>Subject: Re: [HP3000-L] Turbo Store Question (Problem maybe?)

    >>>I can't answer for why files that have not been touched made it on the

    >>partial. Did you do a listf, -3 to see access dates, modification dates,
    >>etc... for example if you do a PRINT ;SEARCH within MPEX without the
    >>KEEPAMDATES parameter, it may change the access dates.
    >>

    >>No one else is accessing my system at all other than myself.
    >>
    >>The last time this database was accessed was at 1:02 this morning whichis
    >>correct.
    >>
    >>However, I did not do the full system backup until around 7am.........
    >>
    >>The partial backup did not happen until about 1pm....
    >>
    >>FILE: SNTINL04.DATABASE.DEV
    >>
    >>FILE CODE : -401 FOPTIONS: BINARY,FIXED,NOCCTL,STD
    >>BLK FACTOR: 1 CREATOR : MGR.DEV
    >>REC SIZE: 2816(BYTES) LOCKWORD:
    >> GROUP ID: DEV
    >>BLK SIZE: 2816(BYTES) SECURITY--READ: ANY
    >>EXT SIZE: 319(SECT) WRITE: ANY
    >>NUM REC: 926 APPEND: ANY
    >>NUM SEC: 10192 LOCK: ANY
    >>NUM EXT: 1 EXECUTE: ANY
    >>MAX REC: 926 **SECURITY IS ON
    >>MAX EXT: 32 FLAGS : NO ACCESSORS
    >>NUM LABELS: 1 CREATED : SUN, JUL 10, 2005, 5:09 PM
    >>MAX LABELS: 1 MODIFIED: SUN, JUL 27, 2008, 1:02 AM
    >>DISC DEV #: 2 ACCESSED: SUN, JUL 27, 2008, 1:02 AM
    >> RESTORED: THU, JUN 12, 2008, 9:49 PM
    >> STATE : MON, JUL 7, 2008, 6:54 AM
    >>SEC OFFSET: 0 LABEL ADDR: $0000005E.$00134420
    >>UFID : $056C0002 $1A4DE4A5 $001344D8 $55031832 $0350ED02
    >>VOLCLASS : MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SETISC
    >>********************
    >>FILE: /DEV/DATABASE/SNTINL04.idx
    >>
    >>FILE CODE : -412 FOPTIONS: BINARY,FIXED,NOCCTL,KSAMXL
    >>BLK FACTOR: 170 OWNER : MGR.DEV UID: 139
    >>REC SIZE: 20(BYTES) GROUP ID: DEV GID: 119
    >>BLK SIZE: 4096(BYTES) SECURITY--READ: ANY
    >>EXT SIZE: 0(SECT) WRITE: ANY
    >>NUM REC: 373 APPEND: ANY
    >>NUM SEC: 4032 LOCK: ANY
    >>NUM EXT: 2 EXECUTE: ANY
    >>MAX REC: 57613 **SECURITY IS ON
    >> FLAGS : NO ACCESSORS
    >>NUM LABELS: 1 CREATED : WED, JUN 18, 2008, 9:36 PM
    >>MAX LABELS: 1 MODIFIED: SUN, JUL 27, 2008, 1:02 AM
    >>DISC DEV #: 1 ACCESSED: SUN, JUL 27, 2008, 1:02 AM
    >> RESTORED: WED, JUN 18, 2008, 9:36 PM
    >> STATE : SUN, JUL 27, 2008, 12:38 AM
    >>SEC OFFSET: 0 LABEL ADDR: $00000013.$00134D20
    >>UFID : $056C0001 $1A4DE4A5 $00134DD8 $55052448 $04A2CBEA
    >>VOLCLASS : MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SETISC
    >>

    >>On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 16:02:53 -0700, Bahrs, Art
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi All
    >>> I seem to recall some unusual behavior with the online backup durations

    >>when I had a process or user holding onto things (usually quietly in a
    >>manner not easily observed)
    >>>
    >>>You might want to check who and what is on the process trees?

> [...]

  2. Re: Turbo Store Question (Problem maybe?)

    Brian writes:

    > I suspect the backup program looks at the date and does not
    > include the time in determining what to back up and what to
    > leave alone.

    This is correct. The syntax allows only date granularity, not date/time
    granularity.

    From 'help store parms'

    moddate or accdate Instructs STORE to store only selected files. A
    moddate value (indicated by >=, greater than or
    equal to) limits the STORE to files that were
    modified on or after the specified date.

    An accdate value (indicated by <=, less than or
    equal to) limits the STORE to those files that
    were accessed on or before a particular date.

    The date is expressed in the form mm/dd/yy[yy].
    The year may be expressed in two or four digits
    (for example, 87 or 1987).

    I guess the world's best operating system isn't as good as it could be :-)

    Maybe you could write a replacement for store that would have date/time granularity
    and also include the cool encryption routines you have written...

    duane