Sorting files - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Sorting files - Hewlett Packard ; Evening All, I'd like to be able to get "Files" to sort my files in alphabetical order within types. As yet no luck. I think I could do it with the "Vars" command but that seems like a lot of ...

  1. Sorting files

    Evening All,

    I'd like to be able to get "Files" to sort my files in alphabetical
    order within types. As yet no luck.
    I think I could do it with the "Vars" command but that seems like a
    lot of bother.

    Also, it would be nice to be able to select all the files in a
    directory without having to press "Enter" against each.

    Thank you.

    N (lazy sod)

  2. Re: Sorting files

    On Jul 27, 6:41*pm, Nigel wrote:
    > Evening All,
    >
    > I'd like to be able to get "Files" to sort my files in alphabetical
    > order within types. As yet no luck.
    > I think I could do it with the "Vars" command but that seems like a
    > lot of bother.
    >
    > Also, it would be nice to be able to select all the files in a
    > directory without having to press "Enter" against each.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > N (lazy sod)

    The second one is easy. While at the top of the list, press enter.
    Then press down. Then press and hold enter. You may have to tap enter
    once more at the end depending on exactly how long you held down
    enter. (The last entry would be repeatedly selected and deselected at
    the end of the long hold of enter.)

    That is a maximum of four key presses, even for a folder of 100
    items.

    I'm not aware of any simple way to do your first. Even Filer6 seems to
    lack that feature.

  3. Re: Sorting files

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 17:41:42 -0500, Nigel wrote:

    > I'd like to be able to get "Files" [Filer]
    > to sort my files in alphabetical order within types.
    > As yet no luck.

    Me neither.

    > I think I could do it with the "VARS" command
    > but that seems like a lot of bother.

    What's your actual goal?

    Do you want to sort and re-order the variables in your VAR menu?
    (which will be as the Filer then shows, in "Original" order).

    If I want to put all my directories first:
    15 TVARS ORDER

    If I want to put all my directories first,
    retaining their current order, and then
    all other variables alphabetically:

    15 TVARS VARS SORT + ORDER

    Note that ORDER is applied right-to-left,
    so it doesn't matter that directories appear twice
    in the concatenatation of the two lists,
    because the leftmost appearance will supersede.

    These can be stored as named programs in HOME,
    ready to invoke from any directory
    by typing the program name.

    Anything else one might desire can be done,
    limited only by the imagination of what to desire

    > it would be nice to be able
    > to select all the files in a directory [in Filer]
    > without having to press "Enter" against each.

    There is a limit of 99 names which can be selected at one time,
    so there is no "select all" command.

    However, starting at the top, press ENTER once,
    and if the cursor does not move down,
    press the "down" (cursor) button once,
    now press and _hold_ ENTER; is that good enough?

    I have more than 99 variables in HOME,
    so this stops after selecting the aforementioned limit
    of at most 99 at one time.

    [r->] [OFF]

  4. Re: Sorting files

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 19:50:07 -0500, I wrote:

    > There is a limit of 99 names which can be selected at one time
    > [in the Filer], so there is no "select all" command.

    "Selection" may also be performed consecutively,
    in either direction, or randomly, in any sequence;
    the resulting numbers specify the order in which
    any subsequent command will be performed,
    which are additional reasons why "select all"
    is not necessarily meaningful,
    or would need additional parameters to fully specify
    (how about "shuffle," like CD and other music players?

    [r->] [OFF]

  5. Re: Sorting files

    On Jul 28, 2:00*am, "John H Meyers" wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 19:50:07 -0500, I wrote:
    > > There is a limit of 99 names which can be selected at one time
    > > [in the Filer], so there is no "select all" command.

    > "Selection" may also be performed consecutively,
    > in either direction, or randomly, in any sequence;
    > the resulting numbers specify the order in which
    > any subsequent command will be performed,
    > which are additional reasons why "select all"
    > is not necessarily meaningful,
    > or would need additional parameters to fully specify
    > (how about "shuffle," like CD and other music players?
    >
    > [r->] [OFF]

    Thank you both,

    I understand the selection process / limitations now and have adapted
    John's example to give ordered lists followed by ordered complex
    numbers in my troublesome directory.