Exchange Ignoring E-mails - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Exchange Ignoring E-mails - Hewlett Packard ; We are using a non-Microsoft software package on a PC server that transfers e-mail to Microsoft Exchange for delivery. We have used this software for a number of years. Within the past month, we have the occurrance of missing e-mail. ...

  1. Exchange Ignoring E-mails

    We are using a non-Microsoft software package on a PC server that
    transfers e-mail to Microsoft Exchange for delivery. We have used this
    software for a number of years.

    Within the past month, we have the occurrance of missing e-mail. So we
    checked the logs. On the non-Microsoft server, the logs say it handed
    off each and every e-mail to MS Exchange.

    On the MS Exchange server, the logs report receiving some, but not all
    the e-mails that were handed off to it.

    The Net result is the e-mails are not delivered.

    One train of thought is that the non-Microsoft package would not report
    a successful hand-off of an e-mail if MS Exchange did not acknowlege a
    successful transfer. On the other hand, such a hand off should be on
    the Exchange logs, but they are not there.

    Has anyone seen symptoms such as this?

    Tracy Johnson
    Measurement Specialties Inc.
    BT

    NNNN

  2. Re: Exchange Ignoring E-mails

    I haven't seen a response, so my $.02 might be better than nothing.

    Not knowing more about the setup of the two email servers, the first
    thing I wonder about is if there is any product(s) on the Exchange
    server for anti-spam or anti-virus, which intercepts the email and
    either hands it off to Exchange or filters / quarantines it? If there
    is a such a product, these products can operate in stealth mode, and
    not immediately expose their operation between the two servers. I know
    of one well-known AVF that lives on the Exchange server, and uses the
    Exchange APIs to intercept the message before Exchange processes
    receipt. That is where I would look first.

    After that possibility, I wonder how busy the Exchange server is. I've
    heard of a problem where a process could not complete within its own
    window, and started over according to its schedule, such that any
    tasks it did not complete in any one pass would never be completed.
    This was a rare and exceptional condition, so seems unlikely, but not
    impossible.

    Greg Stigers, MCSE