network oddity again... - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on network oddity again... - Hewlett Packard ; N series, MPE 7.5 , 100BT card. Remote offices served by an MPLS connection, dedicated line. Each office has its gateway connected to a switch, then around the office to pcs running reflections, couple of printers. Checking QOS from central ...

  1. network oddity again...

    N series, MPE 7.5 , 100BT card. Remote offices served by an MPLS connection, dedicated line. Each office has its gateway connected to a switch, then around the office to pcs running reflections, couple of printers.
    Checking QOS from central shows each office gets an average of 1 event of latency>1000ms per day, sometimes in working hours, sometimes not.

    Users email connects them to MS EXCh 2007 in central office, logged on to domain.

    In one office only, a couple of users, each with multiple reflection sessions open, have the currently working Reflection session drop off, and Outlook comes up with a logon prompt, indicating it lost connection to its server.. The other reflection sessions don't drop. At most 3 users out of 10 have reported the problem.

    I am struggling to find a way to nail down the cause. checking console for msgs around the time, have seen JINETD report 'could not initialize data inpath with TCP' a couple of times, but not always, so this could be a symptom of connectivity loss, and not a cause. The dropped sessions show up withnetipc error 42, which makes sense - its what you get if you just kill reflections without logging off.

    nettool res doesn't show any tables busted. I doubt it's a failure of datalink into the office, as this should drop all connections to everybody, somy suspicion is that's it something flaky in the internal network.

    Anybody seen anything like this please, or have any ideas where to look?
    thanks,
    John

  2. Re: network oddity again...

    This i/f feeds a hp 4200, 8000 intranet (80+pcs, printers), then a 2m/2m Cisco to 5 external branches..

    :linkcontrol @,a
    Linkname: DTSLINK Linktype: PCI 100BT Linkstate: CONNECTED
    Physical Path: 0/5/0/0
    Current Station Address: 00-30-6E-0C-34-16
    Default Station Address: 00-30-6E-0C-34-16
    Current Multicast Addresses:
    09-00-09-00-00-01 09-00-09-00-00-03 09-00-09-00-00-04 09-00-09-00-00-06

    Transmit bytes 75569572781 Receive bytes 33644251884
    Transmits 282771772 Receives unicast 188508593
    Transmits no error 282771772 Receives broadcast 102123369
    Transmits dropped 0 Receives multicast 255376
    Transmits deferred 0 Receives no error 289220650
    Transmits 1 retry 0 Recv CRC error 1497
    Transmits >1 retry 0 Recv Maxsize error 0
    Trans 16 collisions 0 Recv dropped: addr 1666688
    Trans late collision 0 Recv dropped: buffer 0
    Trans underruns 0 Recv dropped: descr 0
    Carrier losses 0 Recv dropped: other 1497
    Trans jabber timeout 0 Recv watchdg timeout 0
    Link disconnects 0 Recv collisions 0
    Link speed 100 Recv overruns 0
    Link duplex Full Link auto sensed No
    Link mode 100Base-TX Addon Secs since clear 28583148
    > N series, MPE 7.5 , 100BT card. Remote offices served by an
    > MPLS connection , dedicated line. Each office has its
    > gateway connected to a switch, then around the office to
    > pcs running reflections, couple of printers.
    > Checking QOS from central shows each office gets an average
    > of 1 event of latency>1000ms per day, sometimes in
    > working hours, sometimes not.
    >
    > Users email connects them to MS EXCh 2007 in central
    > office, logged on to domain.
    >
    > In one office only, a couple of users, each with multiple
    > reflection sessions open, have the currently working
    > Reflection session drop off, and Outlook comes up with a
    > logon prompt, indicating it lost connection to its server.
    > The other reflection sessions don't drop. At most 3
    > users out of 10 have reported the problem.
    >
    > I am struggling to find a way to nail down the cause.
    > checking console for msgs around the time, have seen JINETD
    > report 'could not initialize data in path with TCP'
    > a couple of times, but not always, so this could be a
    > symptom of connectivity loss, and not a cause. The dropped
    > sessions show up with netipc error 42, which makes sense -
    > its what you get if you just kill reflections without
    > logging off.
    >
    > nettool res doesn't show any tables busted. I doubt
    > it's a failure of data link into the office, as this
    > should drop all connections to everybody, so my suspicion
    > is that's it something flaky in the internal network.
    >
    > Anybody seen anything like this please, or have any ideas
    > where to look?
    > thanks,
    > John
    >
    > * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list
    > settings, *
    > * etc., please visit
    > http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html *

  3. Re: network oddity again...

    I am not a networking expert like Jeff and James, but those CRC errors worry me, why would there be so many?

    -Craig