Corrupted flash bank [50g] - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Corrupted flash bank [50g] - Hewlett Packard ; It looks as if I corrupted bank 9 in port 2 (flash). I had deleted a library using Claudio's excellent fman.bin and pressed [pack]. After what seemed an inordinate amount of time, ~ 45 seconds, the calculator appeared to be ...

  1. Corrupted flash bank [50g]

    It looks as if I corrupted bank 9 in port 2 (flash).

    I had deleted a library using Claudio's excellent fman.bin and pressed
    [pack]. After what seemed an inordinate amount of time, ~ 45 seconds, the
    calculator appeared to be hung, so I popped a battery.

    Methinks I made quite a mistake there. Now bank 9 is reported as empty (127K
    free), but all attempts to store to or pack the bank report an Insufficient
    Memory error.

    So as to be very clear, this was obviously user-error, not a problem with
    fman.bin per se.

    I've tried ON+C and the reset button, but have not tried ON+A+F or reloading
    the ROM.

    Any suggestions as to how I might recover from my error?

    Chuck

  2. Re: Corrupted flash bank [50g]

    On Jul 19, 11:38*am, "C Rushton" wrote:
    > It looks as if I corrupted bank 9 in port 2 (flash).
    >
    > I had deleted a library using Claudio's excellent fman.bin and pressed
    > [pack]. After what seemed an inordinate amount of time, ~ 45 seconds, the
    > calculator appeared to be hung, so I popped a battery.
    >
    > Methinks I made quite a mistake there. Now bank 9 is reported as empty (127K
    > free), but all attempts to store to or pack the bank report an Insufficient
    > Memory error.
    >
    > So as to be very clear, this was obviously user-error, not a problem with
    > fman.bin per se.
    >
    > I've tried ON+C and the reset button, but have not tried ON+A+F or reloading
    > the ROM.
    >
    > Any suggestions as to how I might recover from my error?
    >
    > Chuck

    PINIT should solve your problem.

    Claudio

  3. Re: Corrupted flash bank [50g]

    Thank you, Claudio, for the response, but sadly PINIT has no restorative
    effect. While apparently empty the bank is still off-limits for any attempts
    at store, copy, or pack.

    "Claudio Lapilli" wrote in message
    PINIT should solve your problem.

  4. Re: Corrupted flash bank [50g]

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 10:38:42 -0500, Chuck Rushton wrote:

    > It looks as if I corrupted bank 9 in port 2 (flash).
    > I had deleted a library using Claudio's excellent fman.bin

    Which is part of:

    http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=6545
    http://www.hpcalc.org/hp49/utils/mem...shtools102.zip

    > and pressed [pack]. After what seemed an inordinate amount of time,
    > ~45 seconds, the calculator appeared to be hung, so I popped a battery..

    > Methinks I made quite a mistake there. Now bank 9 is reported as empty
    > (127K free), but all attempts to store to or pack the bank report
    > an Insufficient Memory error.

    > So as to be very clear, this was obviously user-error,
    > not a problem with fman.bin per se.

    > I've tried ON+C and the reset button,
    > but have not tried ON+A+F or reloading the ROM.

    > Any suggestions as to how I might recover from my error?

    If PINIT (which on HP48 series only tried one STO/PURGE per port,
    does it go thru all flash banks on ARM calcs?) doesn't help:

    Is "fman.bin" an expansion of "pfree.bin"?
    http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=5439
    http://www.hpcalc.org/hp49/utils/memory/pfree.zip

    "Pfree" shows both existing and deleted items
    (are there any of either?) and also identifies
    corrupted items, permitting their deletion as well, IIRC.

    Most "ROM updates" skip the "user" banks;
    however, there exist special ROM update files
    which are extended so that they wipe "user" banks clean as well
    (and re-format them), which could be used if all else fails.

    If the package containing the "Geometry and Spreadsheet" experimental ROM
    is available, its largest (2MB) flash update file will do that,
    as explained in "readme.txt" as "Will completely erase the flash,
    to be used if user flash got corrupted."

    http://www-fourier.ujf-grenoble.fr/~...e/english.html

    [r->] [OFF]

  5. Re: Corrupted flash bank [50g]

    On Jul 19, 9:15*pm, "John H Meyers" wrote:

    > If the package containing the "Geometry and Spreadsheet" experimental ROM
    > is available, its largest (2MB) flash update file will do that,
    > as explained in "readme.txt" as "Will completely erase the flash,
    > to be used if user flash got corrupted."

    That's definitely the way to go. If fman and PINIT can't solve it,
    just wipe everything clean using a modified rom image.

    Claudio

  6. Re: Corrupted flash bank [50g] - thanks

    John and Claudio,

    Thank you, gentlemen, for the excellent advice.

    Chuck

+ Reply to Thread