On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 20:33:39 -0500, Denys Beauchemin
wrote:

> With the continually dropping prices on hardware and the attendant
> increase in hardware performance, selecting an RDBMS as a migration
> target from IMAGE is the only sensible choice.
>
> The capabilities afforded by a proper RDBMS are astounding and are
> growing every year as the hardware continues to increase in
> price/performance; the growth in capabilities is almost geometric

A most excellent summary.

We decided some years ago to move from propriety software and hardware to
Open Source and commodity servers. After a long period of review we (I)
decided upon postgresql over MySQL. Mainly because postgres did not pose
the user with a bifurcated feature set. MySQl, back then, offered two
forms, innodb and MyISAM. The choice of one provided one feature set, the
choice of the other gave a different features set. The two could not be
made to coincide in the same database instance.

PostgreSQL offered a better, in my opinion, implementation of the SQL
standards (I know, pick one... heh heh (tm Art Bahrs)). In any case, we
are well pleased with it to date. Sometime in the next two years all the
data from the HP3000 will be moved over to our i686 single and duo core
commodity boxes, each with 4-8 GB of RAM and tetrabyte HHDs. Each box
cost us about $600.00 CAD, maybe a tad more for the duos, so we have
several as hot spares and slosh backup data between them without the
slightest observable impact on performance.

We now have electronic fax servers with web accessibility, internal email
with web accessibility, a private PKI CA, off-site but online data storage
of email (twice per hour) and faxes (three times per hour), database
stores (4 times per day), etc. All this without any routine human
intervention. The off site stores are configured for read only access and
are always available as an alternative if the main site is unavailable.

We have a very sophisticated project management system and administrative
wiki written for posgresql and mirrored (in a technically imprecise sense)
on the off site machines. All of our development code is controlled using
GiT, also cloned to the off site systems. We develop in ruby using the
Rails framework, all free software.

These are features that we simply could not afford even if HP provided
them on the HP3000.

So, as bitter as I remain towards HP and the demise of the HP3000, the
fact is that the world has moved on and I, perforce, with it.

Regards,

--
*** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241