Re: How I learned to stop worrying and love the RDBMS - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: How I learned to stop worrying and love the RDBMS - Hewlett Packard ; Michael Anderson wrote: >.... IMHO I think > Eloquence is the path of least resistance. > [Charles Finley] I'm not sure what "path of least resistance" means. I think our customers would disagree with you. I've worked with Eloquence since ...

  1. Re: How I learned to stop worrying and love the RDBMS

    Michael Anderson wrote:

    >.... IMHO I think
    > Eloquence is the path of least resistance.

    [Charles Finley] I'm not sure what "path of least resistance" means. I
    think our customers would disagree with you. I've worked with Eloquence
    since 1998. True, it is easy and quick to migrate from TurboIMAGE to
    Eloquence. I am willing to prove to anyone that, from a practical point of
    view, it almost as easy and likely just as quick to migrate to an RDBMS's we
    support (Oracle, MS SQL Server, DB2) with the product we distribute from
    SunGard Bi-tech, Transport.

    So if path of least resistance means ease of migrating and speed of
    migration, I don't believe your statement is accurate. Would you care to
    expand on what "path of least resistance" means in your post please?

    CF

  2. Re: How I learned to stop worrying and love the RDBMS

    --- On Fri, 7/18/08, Charles Finley wrote:

    > Would you care to
    > expand on what "path of least resistance"
    > means in your post please?

    ***********************

    Part of the path is convincing management, and that means getting cost approval. While large companies can absorb the cost of Oracle, most small to medium business would choke at the cost.

    Eloquence is much more cost effective and provides 80% of the capabilities.

    Yes, MySQL or others are "free", but again it is necessary to convince management that it is the best approach.

    -Craig

  3. Eloquence - path of least resistance was RE: How I learned to stop worrying and love the RDBMS

    Craig wrote:

    > --- On Fri, 7/18/08, Charles Finley wrote:
    >
    > > Would you care to
    > > expand on what "path of least resistance"
    > > means in your post please?

    > ***********************
    >
    > Part of the path is convincing management, and that means getting cost
    > approval. While large companies can absorb the cost of Oracle, most small
    > to medium business would choke at the cost.
    >
    > Eloquence is much more cost effective

    [Charles Finley] Since the cost of Oracle Standard Edition is equal to the
    cost of MS SQL Server, I am assuming that this applies to the cost of SQL
    Server as well. To that I make two points:

    1) If the organization is using Oracle, DB2 or MS SQL Server already. They
    do not seem to mind the costs. They prefer the increased functionality. At
    least that's been our experience. We have not talked anyone into going to
    an RDBMS who was not already there.

    2) If one compares the cost of the Oracle Standard Edition or MS SQL Server
    or DB2 for something like the HP 3000 with a TurboIMAGE license when it was
    sold, you will see that the cost of that plus an Intel server is not all
    that different. I played with Oracle's numbers the other day and was
    pleasantly surprised to find this out.

    and provides 80% of the
    > capabilities.

    [Charles Finley] Just off the top of my head:

    .. TurboIMAGE API
    .. SQL API
    .. Enforce logging of all data changes.
    .. Provide a way to back up the data files while they are online and in
    use.
    .. Provide mechanisms to automate administrative tasks such as data
    file backups.
    .. Offer tools for monitoring performance.
    .. Replication and High Availablity features - Oracle RAC (Netbase
    like)
    .. Message Queues inside of the database
    .. Triggers
    .. Constraints
    .. PL/SQL
    .. Stored procedures
    .. Ability to store KSAM files in the database
    .. Ability to implement message files in the database

    Eloquence provides 80% of this?