OT: Wind turbines - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on OT: Wind turbines - Hewlett Packard ; I am apposed to Wind Turbines for environmental reasons. They kill innocent birds! LOL Kent Wallace Kent Wallace - Business Intelligence Developer Healthcare Management Administrators Inc Phone - 425-289-5267 * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * ...

  1. OT: Wind turbines

    I am apposed to Wind Turbines for environmental reasons.

    They kill innocent birds!

    LOL

    Kent Wallace

    Kent Wallace - Business Intelligence Developer

    Healthcare Management Administrators Inc

    Phone - 425-289-5267

  2. OT: Wind turbines

    I'm not sure I understand, the wind turbines do not seem to turn very fast.
    I'm sure that when the wind blows at 50-60MPH or more, they turn faster but
    birds should not be flying in those winds; I think it's against FAA
    regulations for them to do so.

    Has Holland been avian-free?

    The big issue with the wind turbine farms is that they are very far from
    where their produced energy is required. This will require huge swaths of
    land to be dedicated to transmission lines and these bring their own
    problems.

    I take you back in history (oh no, not another history lesson!) to 1998.
    You can read about it here.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Ice_Storm

    The issue is that most of the electricity in that region comes from dams far
    away on the La Grande (James Bay) and Manicouagan rivers. I know these very
    well, I worked as a surveyor in the early 1970s in both locations. If you
    look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Bay_Project, I worked in the
    summer of 1973 (4 months) on the building of the road mentioned in The Early
    Steps.

    In 1974, worked on the building of the Manic-2 dam mentioned in this link
    here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Manicouagan. I worked on the dam
    directly.

    I am here to tell you these places are very far away from anywhere..

    Montreal in 1998 was fed by 7 power transmission lines coming from there
    over several hundreds of miles. The ice storm dropped 6 of the 7
    transmission lines for many miles and Montreal and surroundings went dark
    for a month or more in the middle of winter.

    Denys...

    I am apposed to Wind Turbines for environmental reasons.

    They kill innocent birds!

    LOL

    Kent Wallace

    Kent Wallace - Business Intelligence Developer

    Healthcare Management Administrators Inc

    Phone - 425-289-5267

    6:47 AM

  3. OT: Wind turbines

    Hi Denys and All
    We have an interesting situation up here in the NW (rainy, windy, you
    don't want to move here NW!!! Hehehe)

    The wind turbines (the wind mill thingies hehe) are generating too
    much power!!! When combined with the hydro power we have (Roll On
    Columbia!) ... We have too much power for the current distribution
    system (read high power line system) ...

    They want to build more wind turbines but are having to figure out how
    to handle all this horribly green and renewable power... Oh what shall
    we do???

    Actually, wind, wave and geothermal power are awesome alternatives,
    but as Al Gore (yep Art is quoting Al!!) pointed out quietly last
    week... It is gonna be EXPENSIVE to convert our infrastructure over from
    the current configuration.

    Interestingly also is the renewed interest in nuclear power since
    they blew the facility (cooling tower) at Trojan Oregon's only nuclear
    power plant.

    Art "we return you all to the normally scheduled election year rants
    " Bahrs

    Thanks,
    Art
    Art Bahrs, CISSP
    Security Engineer
    Providence Health & Services
    Arthur.Bahrs@Providence.org
    Phone: 503-216-2722

    I am apposed to Wind Turbines for environmental reasons.

    They kill innocent birds!

    LOL

    Kent Wallace

    Kent Wallace - Business Intelligence Developer

    Healthcare Management Administrators Inc

    Phone - 425-289-5267

    * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * No
    virus found in this incoming message.
    7/18/2008
    6:47 AM

    DISCLAIMER:

  4. Re: OT: Wind turbines

    Art,
    Speaking of Nuclear Power, take a look at what Dr. Jose Reyes, of
    Oregon State University has put out. At
    http://www.greentech2008.com/GTPres/Reyes.pdf you can find a
    presentation on a packaged nuclear reactor that can
    safely supply power. With our energy needs growing and not shrinking
    it seems to me we need to find all safe and
    productive ways to increase power. Why not this option? Europeans
    are relying upon it!
    Thanks,
    Jeff Kubler
    At 08:47 AM 7/21/2008, Bahrs, Art wrote:
    >Hi Denys and All
    > We have an interesting situation up here in the NW (rainy, windy, you
    >don't want to move here NW!!! Hehehe)
    >
    > The wind turbines (the wind mill thingies hehe) are generating too
    >much power!!! When combined with the hydro power we have (Roll On
    >Columbia!) ... We have too much power for the current distribution
    >system (read high power line system) ...
    >
    > They want to build more wind turbines but are having to figure out how
    >to handle all this horribly green and renewable power... Oh what shall
    >we do???
    >
    > Actually, wind, wave and geothermal power are awesome alternatives,
    >but as Al Gore (yep Art is quoting Al!!) pointed out quietly last
    >week... It is gonna be EXPENSIVE to convert our infrastructure over from
    >the current configuration.
    >
    > Interestingly also is the renewed interest in nuclear power since
    >they blew the facility (cooling tower) at Trojan Oregon's only nuclear
    >power plant.
    >
    >Art "we return you all to the normally scheduled election year rants
    >" Bahrs
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Art
    >Art Bahrs, CISSP
    >Security Engineer
    >Providence Health & Services
    >Arthur.Bahrs@Providence.org
    >Phone: 503-216-2722

    Jeff Kubler
    Kubler Consulting, Inc.
    541-745-7457
    jeff@kublerconsulting.com
    www.kublerconsulting.com

  5. Re: OT: Wind turbines

    Hi Folks,

    We have and interesting project being started here in Cape Breton. They are
    going to use wind turbines to generate power in the day for the grid and in
    the night use the excess power to pump water uphill to supply hydro power
    also in the day. This company previously built wind turbines built next to
    the Lingan (a coal) power generation plant so distribution to the grid was
    simplified. The following link tells all the details.

    http://www.novascotialife.com/node/329

    Is anyone would like a brief on the stats of the project I just received a
    one pager on this project the other day, email me.

    There are also plans to build wind turbines in the Cheticamp area were we
    get some of the highest winds in the province. I don't know how the plan to
    keep the turbines together with the high wind gusts they get regularly
    called les suetes with wind gusts 50 to 120 km per hour and wind storms as
    high as 150 mph. Here is a link about it

    http://cheticamp.ca/en/climate.php

    Gary Nolan
    Faculty Applied Arts and New Media
    Nova Scotia Community College

    PS I know it has been seven years since I worked with HP 3000 but this group
    is so interesting I am still lurking.

[...]

    http://www.eset.com

  6. Re: OT: Wind turbines

    Gary Nolan wrote:
    > We have and interesting project being started here in Cape Breton. They are
    > going to use wind turbines to generate power in the day for the grid and in
    > the night use the excess power to pump water uphill to supply hydro power
    > also in the day.

    We have one of those "pumped storage" plants here, sans windmill.
    http://www.tva.gov/sites/raccoonmt.htm

    Jeff