XP on new PC's - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on XP on new PC's - Hewlett Packard ; Anyone recently bought a "downgraded to XP " system ? Just took delivery of 2 business SFF desktops with XP. http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...5-3747465.html Today we started one and pc is REALLY sluggish. After completing initial menu drive install I get sluggish response. ...

  1. XP on new PC's

    Anyone recently bought a "downgraded to XP " system ?
    Just took delivery of 2 business SFF desktops with XP.
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...5-3747465.html

    Today we started one and pc is REALLY sluggish.
    After completing initial menu drive install I get sluggish response.
    I checked event log once I rebooted - and see error "7011" .

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811428/en-us
    " The performance of the computer is slow ... after sysprep"

    Could be - but doesn't make me feel good to see 'perhaps sysprep related
    problems with brand spanking new $1100 PC.
    I ran "Windowsupdate". This PC arrived yesterday direct from hp.com. and
    need 96 UPDATES ! Without SP3, there were 96 'required updates'. I added
    WMP 11 to make it 97, clicked Install - and left for the night.

    I'm heading back tomorrow and will reboot it with all updates now
    installed and see if any better.

    Anyone else take recent delivery of PC with XP ?
    I EXPECTED SP3 installed. Seems like XP image is many months old - for a
    new PC.
    Similar experiences ?

  2. Re: XP on new PC's

    Most off the shelf XP installs have at best SP2 included, even the full OEM
    install CDs. I've not seen one with SP3 included. SP3 is only a few months
    old.

    HH

    "- Bobb -" wrote in message
    > Anyone recently bought a "downgraded to XP " system ?
    > Just took delivery of 2 business SFF desktops with XP.
    > http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...5-3747465.html
    >
    > Today we started one and pc is REALLY sluggish.
    > After completing initial menu drive install I get sluggish response.
    > I checked event log once I rebooted - and see error "7011" .

    > " The performance of the computer is slow ... after sysprep"
    >
    > Could be - but doesn't make me feel good to see 'perhaps sysprep related
    > problems with brand spanking new $1100 PC.
    > I ran "Windowsupdate". This PC arrived yesterday direct from hp.com. and
    > need 96 UPDATES ! Without SP3, there were 96 'required updates'. I added
    > WMP 11 to make it 97, clicked Install - and left for the night.
    >
    > I'm heading back tomorrow and will reboot it with all updates now
    > installed and see if any better.
    >
    > Anyone else take recent delivery of PC with XP ?
    > I EXPECTED SP3 installed. Seems like XP image is many months old - for a
    > new PC.
    > Similar experiences ?

  3. Re: XP on new PC's

    Agreed. For better or worse, SP3 has not found its way into the name brand
    mainstream. The computer production line is stuck on SP2 with no additional
    critical fixes. Think of the problem the same way as individual and corporate
    users have to think: "Will thus and such update from Microsoft work on my system
    or leave it totally hosed?" Microsoft continues to have a pretty awful track
    record with its automatic updates, which is why it is probably better to turn
    them off.

    Also, thinking about it from a name brand system assembler's point of view, I
    would have to "retool" my production like to include SP3 or any one of the
    Microsoft updates of questionable reliability. Better that they simply stick
    with loading up SP2, well known as reliable at this point.

    Microsoft itself does not sell OEM versions of Windows XP with SP3 slipstreamed,
    either. I built some systems this week and installed SP3 from a flash stick,
    rather than downloading the whole mess. Much faster if you regularly install
    Windows XP from scratch.

    As to the slowness of a downgraded XP system as reported by the OP, is it
    possible that the base motherboard drivers are not installed or out of date? I
    would look at updating the motherboard chipset driver, at minimum... Ben Myers

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 07:21:50 -0400, "HH" wrote:

    >Most off the shelf XP installs have at best SP2 included, even the full OEM
    >install CDs. I've not seen one with SP3 included. SP3 is only a few months
    >old.
    >
    >HH
    >

    >"- Bobb -" wrote in message
    >> Anyone recently bought a "downgraded to XP " system ?
    >> Just took delivery of 2 business SFF desktops with XP.
    >> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...5-3747465.html
    >>
    >> Today we started one and pc is REALLY sluggish.
    >> After completing initial menu drive install I get sluggish response.
    >> I checked event log once I rebooted - and see error "7011" .

    >> " The performance of the computer is slow ... after sysprep"
    >>
    >> Could be - but doesn't make me feel good to see 'perhaps sysprep related
    >> problems with brand spanking new $1100 PC.
    >> I ran "Windowsupdate". This PC arrived yesterday direct from hp.com. and
    >> need 96 UPDATES ! Without SP3, there were 96 'required updates'. I added
    >> WMP 11 to make it 97, clicked Install - and left for the night.
    >>
    >> I'm heading back tomorrow and will reboot it with all updates now
    >> installed and see if any better.
    >>
    >> Anyone else take recent delivery of PC with XP ?
    >> I EXPECTED SP3 installed. Seems like XP image is many months old - for a
    >> new PC.
    >> Similar experiences ?

  4. Re: XP on new PC's

    OP replying...

    I wasn't complaining about SP3 missing: it was the other 97 updates. It
    seemed that HP had Vista built for the box and due to demand for XP, they
    said "we can do that". These 97 updates weren't released in the past few
    weeks - they went back to last fall - and didn't include SP3. It seemed to
    me that HP had an old XP image - they installed on this box - installed
    drivers for the onboard hardware and THAT was their "ship image". They
    then shipped it: leaving XP in "the state that it was whenever they made
    that image", rather than getting it current to the date that the hw hit
    production.
    I went back there today and rebooted ( I left it running the updates
    overnight). Rescanned for updates and with the 97 new updates now
    installed, there were a few more updates to the updates. I rebooted then
    noticed that IE7 hadn't installed ( it was checked as on of the 97
    originally) , so manually went to MSFT website and elected to
    download/install. I did that and rebooted - 3 more updates to IE7.
    Rebooted, rescanned and SP3 is still outstanding but I stopped updating
    at that point ( none of their other pc's have SP3 ).

    My point in all of this was that for this business to "buy some new PC's"
    required a LOT of time to get current. They/I expected it to be "fairly
    close to being current". ( Then ran into "HP software" questions - I'll
    ask in new thread. )

    "Ben Myers" wrote in message
> [...]
    >>> After completing initial menu drive install I get sluggish response.
    >>> I checked event log once I rebooted - and see error "7011" .
    >>>
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811428/en-us
    >>> " The performance of the computer is slow ... after sysprep"
    >>>
    >>> Could be - but doesn't make me feel good to see 'perhaps sysprep
    >>> related
    >>> problems with brand spanking new $1100 PC.
    >>> I ran "Windowsupdate". This PC arrived yesterday direct from hp.com.
    >>> and
    >>> need 96 UPDATES ! Without SP3, there were 96 'required updates'. I
    >>> added
    >>> WMP 11 to make it 97, clicked Install - and left for the night.
    >>>
    >>> I'm heading back tomorrow and will reboot it with all updates now
    >>> installed and see if any better.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone else take recent delivery of PC with XP ?
    >>> I EXPECTED SP3 installed. Seems like XP image is many months old - for

  5. Re: XP on new PC's

    "Ben Myers" wrote in message

    > Don't blame HP. Blame Microsoft for designing an overly complicated
    > product
    > prone to failure, unreliable operation, and security holes big enough to
    > drive a
    > semi-truck through. That's why there are all the stinking patches that
    > we all
    > have to apply and hope that they work.
    >
    > BTW, some of the 97 updates are included in SP3, so if and when people
    > are
    > confident that SP3 will work for them, simply install SP3 FIRST, then
    > apply the
    > less-than-97 patches remaining. I've put SP3 on a memory stick. Much
    > faster
    > than downloading every time... Ben Myers

    Agreed, customer didn't want SP3 on the new ones.
    Thanks

> [...]
    >>> the
    >>> Microsoft updates of questionable reliability. Better that they
    >>> simply
    >>> stick
    >>> with loading up SP2, well known as reliable at this point.
    >>>
    >>> Microsoft itself does not sell OEM versions of Windows XP with SP3
    >>> slipstreamed,
    >>> either. I built some systems this week and installed SP3 from a flash
    >>> stick,
    >>> rather than downloading the whole mess. Much faster if you regularly
    >>> install
    >>> Windows XP from scratch.
    >>>
    >>> As to the slowness of a downgraded XP system as reported by the OP, is
    >>> it
    >>> possible that the base motherboard drivers are not installed or out of
    >>> date? I
    >>> would look at updating the motherboard chipset driver, at minimum...

+ Reply to Thread