HP 48SX or 50G as keypad - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HP 48SX or 50G as keypad - Hewlett Packard ; I was wondering if it was possible to use the 48SX (serial) or 50G (USB) as a numeric keypad for my laptop. It would be fantastic to do calculations on the HP and then send the results to Excel or ...

  1. HP 48SX or 50G as keypad

    I was wondering if it was possible to use the 48SX (serial) or 50G
    (USB) as a numeric keypad for my laptop. It would be fantastic to do
    calculations on the HP and then send the results to Excel or Matlab
    with a keypress. Is it easy, or am I dreaming?

    EKW

  2. Re: HP 48SX or 50G as keypad

    On 13 jul, 13:38, tedwing...@gmail.com wrote:
    > I was wondering if it was possible to use the 48SX (serial) or 50G
    > (USB) as a numeric keypad for my laptop. *It would be fantastic to do
    > calculations on the HP and then send the results to Excel or Matlab
    > with a keypress. *Is it easy, or am I dreaming?
    >
    > EKW

    Could be, but with hp50g key quality you better get a $5 usb keypad.

  3. Re: HP 48SX or 50G as keypad

    On Jul 13, 11:55*am, Avatar_e wrote:
    > On 13 jul, 13:38, tedwing...@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > I was wondering if it was possible to use the 48SX (serial) or 50G
    > > (USB) as a numeric keypad for my laptop. *It would be fantastic to do
    > > calculations on the HP and then send the results to Excel or Matlab
    > > with a keypress. *Is it easy, or am I dreaming?

    It is easy. You need to set it up as a serial input device. Then
    using a user assigned key, you will convert whatever is in level 1 to
    a string and send it out the port. Wherever the cursor is at will
    stick the text it. I've even done it over a bluetooth device. I
    don't really need it though, so it has been over a year since I tried.

    > Could be, but with hp50g key quality you better get a $5 usb keypad.

    The quality is just fine, but that is besides the point. Do you know
    of a 5$ usb keypad that can do basic/advanced mathematics by itself?
    I've never been able to perform calcs as quickly using some desktop
    software as I can with a calculator of any variety.

    TW

  4. Re: HP 48SX or 50G as keypad

    On Jul 13, 11:38*am, tedwing...@gmail.com wrote:
    > I was wondering if it was possible to use the 48SX (serial) or 50G
    > (USB) as a numeric keypad for my laptop. *It would be fantastic to do
    > calculations on the HP and then send the results to Excel or Matlab
    > with a keypress. *Is it easy, or am I dreaming?
    >
    > EKW

    Easy.

    http://sense.net/~egan/skb/

+ Reply to Thread