Re: Cannot Purge PRIV mode File Problem - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: Cannot Purge PRIV mode File Problem - Hewlett Packard ; One thing I did forget to mention was that once I have the eight char (lowercase or uppercase) lockword, I am using the AIF intrinsic AIFFILEGPUT to plug the lockword into the file. So I am assuming that the AIF ...

  1. Re: Cannot Purge PRIV mode File Problem

    One thing I did forget to mention was that once I have the eight char
    (lowercase or uppercase) lockword, I am using the AIF intrinsic AIFFILEGPUT
    to plug the lockword into the file.

    So I am assuming that the AIF isn't smart enough to upshift all the
    letters before plugging the lockword into the file.

    Brian.

    wrote:

    >>>FILE: xxxxx.PUB.SYS
    >>>
    >>>FILE CODE : -201 FOPTIONS: ASCII,FIXED,NOCCTL,STD
    >>>BLK FACTOR: 8 CREATOR : MANAGER.SYS
    >>>REC SIZE: 32(BYTES) LOCKWORD: hMOGhF2m
    >>>BLK SIZE: 256(BYTES) SECURITY--READ : ANY
    >>>EXT SIZE: 0(SECT) WRITE : ANY
    >>>NUM REC: 0 APPEND : ANY
    >>>NUM SEC: 0 LOCK : ANY
    >>>NUM EXT: 0 EXECUTE : ANY
    >>>MAX REC: 1024 **SECURITY IS ON
    >>> FLAGS : NO ACCESSORS
    >>>NUM LABELS: 0 CREATED : SUN, JUL 13, 2008, 9:14 AM
    >>>MAX LABELS: 254 MODIFIED: SUN, JUL 13, 2008, 9:14 AM
    >>>DISC DEV #: 2 ACCESSED: SUN, JUL 13, 2008, 9:14 AM
    >>>SEC OFFSET: 65024 LABEL ADDR: $0000005E.$002C6420
    >>>VOLCLASS : MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SETISC
    >>>

    >>>:MPEX
    >>>
    >>>MPEX/3000 29N00420 (c) VESOFT Inc, 1980 6.5 03:04918 For help type

    'HELP'

    >>>Hint: %PRINT @.DOC;SEARCH="CUST_NUM";PREV="PROCEDURE" or "FUNCTION";NUM
    >>> shows you all lines containing CUST_NUM and the immediately preceding
    >>> lines that contain PROCEDURE or FUNCTION (i.e. the procedure headers).
    >>>
    >>>%ALTFILE LOCKERD2;CODE=0
    >>>-----Altering LOCKERD2.PUB.SYS
    >>>LOCKWORD VIOLATION (FSERR 92)
    >>>Error: Doing Fopen of LOCKERD2/.PUB.SYS.
    >>>%PURGE LOCKERD2
    >>>-----Will purge LOCKERD2.PUB.SYS (code "PRIV", type FA, EOF 0, 0 sectors)
    >>>OK to purge 1 file (y/N)? Y
    >>>-----Purging LOCKERD2.PUB.SYS (0 sectors)
    >>>LOCKWORD VIOLATION (FSERR 92)
    >>>Unable to purge file "LOCKERD2/.PUB.SYS". (CIERR 384)
    >>>%REDO
    >>>
    >>>PURGE LOCKERD2/hMOGhF2m
    >>>
    >>>-----Will purge LOCKERD2.PUB.SYS (code "PRIV", type FA, EOF 0, 0 sectors)
    >>>OK to purge 1 file (y/N)? Y
    >>>-----Purging LOCKERD2.PUB.SYS (0 sectors)
    >>>LOCKWORD VIOLATION (FSERR 92)
    >>>Unable to purge file "LOCKERD2/.PUB.SYS". (CIERR 384)
    >>>%
    >>>EXIT
    >>>
    >>>END OF PROGRAM
    >>>
    >>>:FILE T;DEV=DISC
    >>>
    >>>:FILE T;DEV=DISC
    >>>:STORE LOCKERD2.PUB.SYS;*T;PURGE
    >>> (C) 1986 HEWLETT-PACKARD CO.
    >>>
    >>>STORE LOCKERD2.PUB.SYS;*T;PURGE
    >>>
    >>>SUN, JUL 13, 2008, 9:23 AM
    >>>

    >>>FILES STORED : 1
    >>>

    >>>TOTAL MEDIA WRITTEN : 1
    >>>
    >>>LOCKWORD VIOLATION (FSERR 92)
    >>>LOCKERD2.PUB .SYS NOT PURGED: LOCKWORD VIOLATION ENCOUNTERED ON
    >>> FILE OPEN
    >>>

    >>>How on earth do I get rid of this file? It has a lockword with lowercase

    chars
    >>>in it and I cannot purge the file.............! (even when I give it the
    >>>correct
    >>>lockword)
    >>>
    >>>TIA,
    >>>Brian.
    >>>
    >>>* To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, *
    >>>* etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html *

    >>* To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, *
    >>* etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html *
    >>

    >>DISCLAIMER:
    >>This message is intended for the sole use of the addressee, and may contain

    >information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure
    >under applicable law. If you are not the addressee you are hereby notified
    >that you may not use, copy, disclose, or distribute to anyone the message or
    >any information contained in the message. If you have received this message
    >in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email and delete
    >this message.
    >>
    >>* To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, *
    >>* etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html *

  2. Re: Cannot Purge PRIV mode File Problem

    At 02:09 PM 7/13/2008, Brian Donaldson wrote:
    >One thing I did forget to mention was that once I have the eight char
    >(lowercase or uppercase) lockword, I am using the AIF intrinsic AIFFILEGPUT
    >to plug the lockword into the file.
    >
    >So I am assuming that the AIF isn't smart enough to upshift all the
    >letters before plugging the lockword into the file.

    that's like blaming the steak for not cooking itself to the right temperature.

    >Brian.
    >

    >On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 17:04:05 -0400, Brian Donaldson
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Nope, the lockword was created in a Cobol program running under the MPEiX
    > >directory, not the shell.
    > >
    > >This problem only seems to occur if the lockword has lower-case chars but
    > >I can purge the file via MPEX ok if the lockword is in upper-case.
    > >
    > >So I had to fix my routine that creates the random lockword (password)
    > >to restrict it to upper-case chars (and numbers) only.
    > >
    > >Brian.
    > >
    > >On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 12:04:10 -0700, Bahrs, Art
    > >wrote:
    > >
    > >>Hi Brian
    > >> Not an expert here but I don't remember the ability in the lockword

    > >handlers to support lower case chars
    > >>
    > >> Could the lockword have been established in the shell? Might have been

    > >established programtically ther?
    > >>

    > >>Sent via PDA
    > >>Thanks
    > >>Art Bahrs
    > >>Security Engineer
    > >>arthur.bahrs@providence.org

    Regards,

    Shawn Gordon
    President
    theKompany.com
    www.thekompany.com
    www.mindawn.com
    949-713-3276

  3. Re: Cannot Purge PRIV mode File Problem

    Shawn, great answer.

    Another one is something about someone blaming his tools for his errors.

    Denys

    At 02:09 PM 7/13/2008, Brian Donaldson wrote:
    >One thing I did forget to mention was that once I have the eight char
    >(lowercase or uppercase) lockword, I am using the AIF intrinsic AIFFILEGPUT
    >to plug the lockword into the file.
    >
    >So I am assuming that the AIF isn't smart enough to upshift all the
    >letters before plugging the lockword into the file.

    that's like blaming the steak for not cooking itself to the right
    temperature.

    >Brian.
    >

    >On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 17:04:05 -0400, Brian Donaldson
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Nope, the lockword was created in a Cobol program running under the MPEiX
    > >directory, not the shell.
    > >
    > >This problem only seems to occur if the lockword has lower-case chars but
    > >I can purge the file via MPEX ok if the lockword is in upper-case.
    > >
    > >So I had to fix my routine that creates the random lockword (password)
    > >to restrict it to upper-case chars (and numbers) only.
    > >
    > >Brian.
    > >
    > >On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 12:04:10 -0700, Bahrs, Art

    > >wrote:
    > >
    > >>Hi Brian
    > >> Not an expert here but I don't remember the ability in the lockword

    > >handlers to support lower case chars
    > >>
    > >> Could the lockword have been established in the shell? Might have

    been
    > >established programtically ther?
    > >>

    > >>Sent via PDA
    > >>Thanks
    > >>Art Bahrs
    > >>Security Engineer
    > >>arthur.bahrs@providence.org

    5:58 PM

  4. Re: Cannot Purge PRIV mode File Problem

    Brian writes:

    >One thing I did forget to mention was that once I have the
    >eight char (lowercase or uppercase) lockword, I am using the
    >AIF intrinsic AIFFILEGPUT to plug the lockword into the file.
    >
    >So I am assuming that the AIF isn't smart enough to upshift
    >all the letters before plugging the lockword into the file.

    Wrong assumption.

    The AIF routines were written for a certain level of programmer,
    excercising a certain level of caution.

    The AIF routines were not written for the average programmer to
    magically become an above average systems programmer.

    duane

  5. Re: Cannot Purge PRIV mode File Problem

    Hi Duane

    Without any side or inferred references ... Weren't the AIF routines
    designed after HP started down the POSIX route? I seem to remember a
    lot of things coming out of HP that were very much of a *nix flavour
    rather than pure MPE flavor back in the MPE 5 and 6 eras...

    Thanks,
    Art
    Art Bahrs, CISSP
    Security Engineer
    Providence Health & Services
    Arthur.Bahrs@Providence.org
    Phone: 503-216-2722

    >One thing I did forget to mention was that once I have the eight char
    >(lowercase or uppercase) lockword, I am using the AIF intrinsic
    >AIFFILEGPUT to plug the lockword into the file.
    >
    >So I am assuming that the AIF isn't smart enough to upshift all the
    >letters before plugging the lockword into the file.

    Wrong assumption.

    The AIF routines were written for a certain level of programmer,
    excercising a certain level of caution.

    The AIF routines were not written for the average programmer to
    magically become an above average systems programmer.

    duane

    DISCLAIMER:

  6. Re: Cannot Purge PRIV mode File Problem

    Art asks:

    > Hi Duane
    >
    > Without any side or inferred references ... Weren't the
    > AIF routines
    > designed after HP started down the POSIX route? I seem to remember a
    > lot of things coming out of HP that were very much of a *nix
    > flavour rather than pure MPE flavor back in the MPE 5 and 6 eras...

    The AIF was released before posix support was released.

    Not sure the *exact* timeframes, but something like 2.1 or so for AIF
    and 4.5 for posix...

    duane

  7. Re: Cannot Purge PRIV mode File Problem

    Art asks:

    > Without any side or inferred references ... Weren't the AIF routines
    > designed after HP started down the POSIX route? I seem to remember a
    > lot of things coming out of HP that were very much of a *nix
    > flavour rather than pure MPE flavor back in the MPE 5 and 6 eras...

    No, the Architicted Interface Facility (AIF) product was first delivered well before the MPE/iX 4.5 developer release that introduced POSIX APIs. The purpose of AIFs was to provide a high performing, privileged interface to OS routines and data structures that highly skilled application and tools vendors could use to perform their privileged OS interactions in an organized(or architected) manner. The idea was that unlike the "wild west" of MPE V, access to internal routines and data structures should be provided in a manner that helped insulate vendors from internal OS changes that happen from release to release.

    By their nature and their design, AIF routines include the smallest possible amount of overhead in order to minimize the penalty for using them ratherthan directly attempting to access system internals. This means no, or at least very, very little, paramter checking. Because of this, using AIFs requires privileged mode execution. Whenever you enter privileged mode, you are taking responsibility for the integrity of the system. The exact same thing is true of the DEBUG facility. A user with PM capability can go into DEBUG and slam whatever values they want into whatever memory or disk locations they want. But unless you are an extremely competent MPE/iX expert that is usually not a very good idea.

    AIFs are an MPE/iX unique invention and have no influence from any other system or API standard.

  8. Re: Cannot Purge PRIV mode File Problem

    Hi Craig
    WOW! Talk about a great "Fred White" Answer!!! Complete and humorous
    at the same time!

    Ok... So, now you make remember the caution they told us at "US
    Mines" in Basic Training "Your Level of Competence IS your Safety"
    (this was told as they handed us our first *LIVE* Claymore Mine... Ahhh
    that has to be my favorite toy!