Firmware Systems, Inc. - Portable DataLab - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Firmware Systems, Inc. - Portable DataLab - Hewlett Packard ; Hi all, Has any of you seen / had the opportunity to use the so called Firmware Systems, Inc. - Portable DataLab mentioned among the HP 49G accessories (link below) ? http://www.hpcalc.org/hp49/docs/faq/#ss1.9 If one did, could s/he share his thoughts ...

  1. Firmware Systems, Inc. - Portable DataLab

    Hi all,

    Has any of you seen / had the opportunity to use the so called
    Firmware Systems, Inc. - Portable DataLab mentioned among the HP 49G
    accessories (link below) ?

    http://www.hpcalc.org/hp49/docs/faq/#ss1.9

    If one did, could s/he share his thoughts of the product? How can we
    find one, or a similar product if there is any?

    regs

  2. Re: Firmware Systems, Inc. - Portable DataLab

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 10:54:57 -0700 (PDT), earloflondon
    wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >Has any of you seen / had the opportunity to use the so called
    >Firmware Systems, Inc. - Portable DataLab mentioned among the HP 49G
    >accessories (link below) ?
    >
    >http://www.hpcalc.org/hp49/docs/faq/#ss1.9
    >
    >If one did, could s/he share his thoughts of the product? How can we
    >find one, or a similar product if there is any?
    >
    >regs

    I have never used one. I think they are out of business anyway. I have
    not been able to find their web page for a couple of years. There is a
    Firmware Systems still in existence,but it is not the same company
    that made the interface.( I think).
    BTW it is possible to talk to the Vernier ULI interface using an
    HP48GX.(the GX has a serial port)
    Daniel Rosa did this as his Masters Thesis in Physics at the
    University of Wisconsin Oskosh in 1997. If you have library privileges
    at a local college or university you can borrow a copy of the thesis
    using Inter Library Loan; I have done it myself.
    It would be possible to talk to the Vernier LabPro interface too as
    long as you have a serial port on your calculator. This opens the door
    to use other HP calculators too(If they have a serial port.)
    Of coures you would have to write your own software to do this since
    Vernier has never supported using HP calculators with their equipment,
    only TI calculators.
    Vernier also has a technical Reference manual available for download
    from its web site for both the older ULI box and the LabPro.
    One or both( I forget) is available at http://www.hpcalc.org/

    Here is a copy of the abstract

    Daniel F. Rosa Jr.
    Controlling the Universal Lab Interface with the Hewlett-Packard 48
    Series Calculator
    Thesis Abstract for M. S. Degree in Physics - Instrumentation

    The Universal Lab Interface (ULI) is a device used in laboratories to
    collect data electronically. Normally, this device is controlled by a
    microcomputer. This thesis shows how the HP 48 series calculator,
    manufactured by Hewlett-Packard, can replace the microcomputer as a
    controlling device for the ULI. The HP 48 series calculator has serial
    interface capabilities and has serial data transmission rates that can
    be matched by the ULI. Programs were written using a form of BASIC
    called User-RPL for the calculator, that accesses the calculator's
    input buffer.

    The low cost of the calculator and programmability of the input buffer
    are just two features of the calculator that make this project
    feasible and cost effective for many applications. Two applications
    are shown that feature the versatility of the system incorporating the
    ULI with the Hewlett-Packard calculator. Different methods of data
    acquisition from the calculator's input buffer are discussed and
    compared.

    The programs used to send, receive and process command codes and data
    between the ULI and HP 48 calculator are included in this thesis.
    Also, a comparison between this system and a commercial product
    currently available is given.

    Here is the clall letterz for the thesis. TK7887.5 .R67

    Harold A. Climer
    Dept. Of Physics, Geology, and Astronomy
    University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
    309 Grote Hall
    423-425-4546
    Harold-Climer@utc.edu

  3. Re: Firmware Systems, Inc. - Portable DataLab

    On 12 Temmuz, 18:54, Harold A Climer wrote:
> [...]

    > input buffer.
    >
    > The low cost of the calculator and programmability of the input buffer
    > are just two features of the calculator that make this project
    > feasible and cost effective for many applications. Two applications
    > are shown that feature the versatility of the system incorporating the
    > ULI with the Hewlett-Packard calculator. Different methods of data
    > acquisition from the calculator's input buffer are discussed and
    > compared.
    >
    > The programs used to send, receive and process command codes and data
    > between the ULI and HP 48 calculator are included in this thesis.
    > Also, a comparison between this system and a commercial product
    > currently available is given.
    >
    > Here is the clall letterz for the thesis. TK7887.5 .R67
    >
    > Harold A. Climer
    > Dept. Of Physics, Geology, and Astronomy

    thank you very much. it's very kind of you to provide so much
    incredible help. BTW I checked the Vernier's page but it isn't
    available either unfortunately
    my search for such a database device -if I got it correctly as I am
    assuming DataLab was one- was due to the need to keep the
    calculator's sources free and use the device for its heavy data
    capacity. But under these circumstances buying a HP 50g seems to be a
    better shot as it has better abilities compared to my 49g. sigh

    regs

  4. Re: Firmware Systems, Inc. - Portable DataLab

    They are still there. Here is their URL http://www.vernier.com/
    Harold A. Climer
    Dept. Of Physics, Geology, and Astronomy
    University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
    Room 406A Engineering/Math/Computer Science Building
    423-425-4523
    Harold-Climer@utc.edu

  5. Re: Firmware Systems, Inc. - Portable DataLab

    On Jul 13, 6:07*pm, Harold A Climer wrote:
    > They are still there. Here is their URLhttp://www.vernier.com/
    > Harold A. Climer
    > Dept. Of Physics, Geology, and Astronomy
    > University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
    > Room 406A Engineering/Math/Computer Science Building
    > 423-425-4523
    > Harold-Cli...@utc.edu

    Looking at their site, I noticed that their stuff works with LabView.

    (This has nothing to do with HP, but, since LabView is used where I
    work, I found this very interesting.)

  6. Re: Firmware Systems, Inc. - Portable DataLab

    > They are still there. Here is their URLhttp://www.vernier.com/
    > Harold A. Climer
    > Dept. Of Physics, Geology, and Astronomy
    > University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
    > Room 406A Engineering/Math/Computer Science Building
    > 423-425-4523
    > Harold-Cli...@utc.edu

    OK now! something wrong must have happened with my browser but now I
    could open their page... cheers

+ Reply to Thread