Re: SAMBA - Creation of smbpasswd file. - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: SAMBA - Creation of smbpasswd file. - Hewlett Packard ; Umm, just to be clear, donna taught me all that stuff. 8-) -----Original Message----- From: HP-3000 Systems Discussion [mailto:HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU] On Behalf Of donna hofmeister Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 1:31 PM To: HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU Subject: Re: [HP3000-L] SAMBA - Creation of ...

  1. Re: SAMBA - Creation of smbpasswd file.

    Umm, just to be clear, donna taught me all that stuff.

    8-)

    -----Original Message-----
    From: HP-3000 Systems Discussion [mailto:HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU] On
    Behalf Of donna hofmeister
    Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 1:31 PM
    To: HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU
    Subject: Re: [HP3000-L] SAMBA - Creation of smbpasswd file.

    ray's the expert on samba ;-)
    http://raven.utc.edu/cgi-bin/WA.EXE?...3000-L&P=R2288

    - d

    ps, depending on your samba version, you may need to be manager.sys (in
    the
    shell, cd'd to /SAMBA/whatever) to successfully run smbpasswd.

    ---
    Donna Hofmeister
    Allegro Consultants, Inc.
    408-252-2330

  2. Re: HP3000 File System Error

    Hi:

    I am getting an occasional error in COBOL on my HP3000 when opening a log
    file.

    One of the file system errors is a +0007 and the other is +0013.

    Does anyone know what these mean?

    Thanks.

    Mike

    _____________________________________
    SeraSoft, Inc.
    PO Box 5763
    Manchester, NH 03108-5763
    (603) 485-3700 phone
    (603) 361-3053 cell
    www.serasoftinc.com

  3. Re: HP3000 File System Error

    Mike asks:

    > I am getting an occasional error in COBOL on my HP3000 when opening a

    log
    > file.
    > One of the file system errors is a +0007 and the other is +0013.
    > Does anyone know what these mean?

    If these are really file system errors, here are their meanings:

    "Unformatted or uninitialized media on device. (FSERR 7)"

    "Can't open file multi-access, out of FMAVT entries (FSERR 13)"

    But take these with a grain of salt, because they really don't look like
    file system errors you would be getting from a COBOL program.

    I think we would need more information to help you. For example, how
    are you opening the file (COBOL OPEN statement, call to FOPEN intrinsic,
    HPFOPEN, etc.)? Is there a FILE equation in effect? If so, what is it?
    Is any other process accessing the file at the time? What are the
    attributes of the file (fixed, variable, undefined, message file, KSAM
    file, RIO file, record size, etc.)? Where are you getting these numbers
    (from a PRINTFILEINFO "tombstone", from FCHECK, from the COBOL file
    status variable, etc.)?

    Walter

    Walter J. Murray

  4. Re: SAMBA - Creation of smbpasswd file ( solved ).

    Would appear that you can't just have the user names in the smbpasswd file.

    From what I understand the syntax is

    Smbpasswd -a USER.ACCOUNT

    With the user.account having to exist beforehand. I presume ./smbpasswd looks in the HPUID file for the existence and gives the error the user doesn'texist in /etc/passwd.

    shell/iX> ./smbpasswd -a MGR.SAMBA xxxxx
    Added user MGR.SAMBA.
    shell/iX> ./smbpasswd -a SKEET xxxxx
    User SKEET does not exist in system password file (usually /etc/passwd). Cannot
    add account without a valid local system user.
    Failed to modify password entry for user SKEET
    shell/iX>

    I read the comments on SAMBA setups before but should've read part 2 and 3 more clearly.

    Enjoy the weekend all

    Nige...

    Umm, just to be clear, donna taught me all that stuff.

    8-)

    ps, depending on your samba version, you may need to be manager.sys (in theshell, cd'd to /SAMBA/whatever) to successfully run smbpasswd.

    ---
    Donna Hofmeister
    Allegro Consultants, Inc.
    408-252-2330

  5. Re: SAMBA - Creation of smbpasswd file ( solved ).

    you configure MPE logons (user.account) for samba using smbpasswd -- not
    windows -- as seen below.

    it's IMPORTANT to understand that samba passwords are ENTIRELY unrelated to
    mpe passwords. so you can have an mpe password of 'foo' for user.account
    and a samba password of 'bar' for the same user. also samba passwords are
    cAse senSitIvE.

    this can be 'a good thing' -- set up users with samba access only by giving
    them just the samba password.
    this can be 'a challenging thing' -- when you're running around in circles
    trying to login via samba and have no idea what the password is -- because
    you can't look it up.

    one thing I've done is -- for IT people (who frequently have different
    access to systems than business users) I'll make the samba password match
    their mpe password. so if it's 'FOO' for mpe, it's 'foo' for samba. (and
    yes, it's lowercase foo. we all know about donna and capitals.... :-)

    hth - d

    ---
    Donna Hofmeister
    Allegro Consultants, Inc.
    408-252-2330

  6. Any one have A500 for sale?

    Hi all,

    Just wanted to see if anyone has an A500 they're looking to get rid of.

    Thanks!
    Jack Connor