Quoting Michael Mileusnich:

When I use the HPCICOMMAND I am passing it my command plus a \n or \r and I
receive the following error:

**** UNEXPECTED ESCAPE CODE ENCOUNTERED IN SYSTEM CODE, ESCAPE CODE = 9132
----------
You have to end the string with a carriage return, not a \n or \r - this
isn't unix, okay? Follow the carriage return character with a space.

In Cobol:

01 MPE-COMMAND.
05 FILE-EQUATION PIC X(30).
05 FILLER PIC X VALUE %15.
05 FILLER PIC X VALUE " ".

then

MOVE "FILE AR0010P;DEV=NETLP,1,1 " TO FILE-EQUATION.

and then do your call to HPCICOMMAND. In the program I pulled this from for
this example it uses the "COMMAND" intrinsic.

CALL INTRINSIC "COMMAND" USING MPE-COMMAND INTRINSIC-ERROR INTRINSIC-PARM.

IF COND-CODE NOT = 0