Re: OT: Euro Gas prices - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: OT: Euro Gas prices - Hewlett Packard ; Quoting Kent Wallace (in part): So no comparable alternative is out there for the Europeans. They just drive little cars. .... I have seen all sorts of technology on YouTube, but GM and Toyota must not be watching. ---------- In ...

  1. Re: OT: Euro Gas prices

    Quoting Kent Wallace (in part):

    So no comparable alternative is out there for the Europeans. They just
    drive little cars.

    I have seen all sorts of technology on YouTube, but GM and Toyota must not
    be watching.
    ----------
    In Europe the freight transport trucks are "soft sided" - they have cloth,
    canvas or canvas and chain mesh sides to reduce weight. In the U.S. the
    transport trucks (trailers actually) are "hard sided" - made of steel or
    aluminum and consequently have added weight. U.S. freight companies should
    look into the "soft sided" trailers - might help a bit. UPS changed their
    trucks to fiberglass tops to eliminate the need for interior lighting in the
    cargo area years ago, and a side benefit was reduced vehicle weight.

    YouTube has many examples of inventors creating various engines that run on
    compressed air, hydrogen separated from water, hydrogen fuel cells, etc. The
    fact that some of these things appear to have been out there for years gives
    credence to the urban myth (perhaps fact) that "big oil" buys up the patents
    or production rights to these types of inventions and then promptly buries
    them in their files - and the technology never comes to the commercial
    market. If true it wouldn't be the first example of a company buying it's
    competition only to bury the product and/or eliminate the competition.

  2. Re: OT: Euro Gas prices

    > In Europe the freight transport trucks are "soft sided" - they have cloth,
    > canvas or canvas and chain mesh sides to reduce weight. In the U.S. the
    > transport trucks (trailers actually) are "hard sided" - made of steel or
    > aluminum and consequently have added weight. U.S. freight companies should
    > look into the "soft sided" trailers - might help a bit.

    At least here in Detroit, canvas-sided trucks have been popular for years.
    The main reason is the ease of loading and un-loading. You can grab anything
    off the truck at any stop since nothing gets "blocked-in". Also, more than
    one fork-list can unload a whole truck at once.

    Mark W.