Re: OT: It amazes me that the main stream media did not pick up on this - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: OT: It amazes me that the main stream media did not pick up on this - Hewlett Packard ; Howard writes: > I think the media execs were the ones not interested. News is no longer > about news, but rather about ratings, and everybody knows that the good > folks in Iowa (as opposed to those awful and ...

  1. Re: OT: It amazes me that the main stream media did not pick up on this

    Howard writes:

    > I think the media execs were the ones not interested. News is no longer
    > about news, but rather about ratings, and everybody knows that the good
    > folks in Iowa (as opposed to those awful and decadent folks in NOLA) are
    > not ratings magnets.

    The fundamental problem with Craig's complaints and your analysis, Howard, is
    that neither is true.

    Thirty minutes after reading Craig's bit of nonsense that began this thread, the
    Sunday version of NBC Nightly News ran a lengthy piece on the Cedar Rapids
    floods last night, with a tour of the city's damages and recovery being given
    by a local city councilman.

    I suspect the reason that more people don't see the "MSM"'s reports is that
    they simply don't bother to watch them, but would rather take refuge in their
    own peculiar prejudices, never being ones to let facts be a barrier to strongly
    held opinions, no matter how strange.

    Wirt Atmar

  2. Re: OT: It amazes me that the main stream media did not pick up on this

    I have also seen "some" coverage, and I'm a neighbor to Iowa, the most
    recent being an article in the newspaper about an animal shelter gathering
    all the dispalced farm animals! But it's not been the nightly
    sensational coverage that New Orleans received, or that the I35 bridge
    collapse received. Everyone is pitching in to help, nobody is shooting or
    looting, and that's not national news for very long.

    John Lee

    At 03:22 PM 7/7/08 -0400, Wirt Atmar wrote:
    >Howard writes:
    >
    > > I think the media execs were the ones not interested. News is no longer
    > > about news, but rather about ratings, and everybody knows that the good
    > > folks in Iowa (as opposed to those awful and decadent folks in NOLA) are
    > > not ratings magnets.

    >The fundamental problem with Craig's complaints and your analysis, Howard, is
    >that neither is true.
    >
    >Thirty minutes after reading Craig's bit of nonsense that began this
    >thread, the
    >Sunday version of NBC Nightly News ran a lengthy piece on the Cedar Rapids
    >floods last night, with a tour of the city's damages and recovery being given
    >by a local city councilman.
    >
    >I suspect the reason that more people don't see the "MSM"'s reports is that
    >they simply don't bother to watch them, but would rather take refuge in their
    >own peculiar prejudices, never being ones to let facts be a barrier to
    >strongly
    >held opinions, no matter how strange.
    >
    >Wirt Atmar

    >--

  3. Re: OT: It amazes me that the main stream media did not pick up on this

    Hi Wirt and All
    I think to get the answer we have to all remember that all stories
    have a minimum of 3 sides:
    1. Mine
    2. Yours
    3. The Truth (Facts)

    I truly have seen some news stations here appear to go for nothing
    but ratings (it seems that after the on-air people start to look over 30
    they are "gone" - Almost like Logan's Run! Hehe) ... And airing only the
    'sensationalistic' stories or that side of a story...

    I have also seen other stations that only show the facts that
    support the "perceived agenda" (ie I think they have an agenda )

    But the bottom line seems to be one must be open and use multiple
    sources to get a complete picture of a news story, as Wirt seems to be
    implying. I know I have seen news stories about things I was living
    thru right here in the Portland area via the news stations in Chicago
    (Cable WGN) and the internet that were completely mixed up on the
    facts... But by putting them all together and using ones God Given Logic
    abilities you could see what was actually happening...(assumptions
    rampant in that statement! Hehe) Floods of 1996 were an excellent
    example... Saw video footage of the Tualatin River flooding downtown
    Tualatin on a feed from the other side of the country ... They labeled
    it Portland Oregon... Made you think that not only was downtown Portland
    flooding ... But that there was a really big K-Mart in downtown Portland

    Art "Thanks for keeping us grounded Wirt!" Bahrs

    Thanks,
    Art
    Art Bahrs, CISSP
    Security Engineer
    Providence Health & Services
    Arthur.Bahrs@Providence.org
    Phone: 503-216-2722

    > I think the media execs were the ones not interested. News is no
    > longer about news, but rather about ratings, and everybody knows that
    > the good folks in Iowa (as opposed to those awful and decadent folks
    > in NOLA) are not ratings magnets.

    The fundamental problem with Craig's complaints and your analysis,
    Howard, is that neither is true.

    Thirty minutes after reading Craig's bit of nonsense that began this
    thread, the Sunday version of NBC Nightly News ran a lengthy piece on
    the Cedar Rapids floods last night, with a tour of the city's damages
    and recovery being given by a local city councilman.

    I suspect the reason that more people don't see the "MSM"'s reports is
    that they simply don't bother to watch them, but would rather take
    refuge in their own peculiar prejudices, never being ones to let facts
    be a barrier to strongly held opinions, no matter how strange.

    Wirt Atmar

    DISCLAIMER:

  4. Re: OT: It amazes me that the main stream media did not pick up on this

    I agree with Wirt that the information is out there, if only we would
    bother to tune our sets away from CSI-whatever to find them. I guess my
    point, if I had bothered to be more specific, was that the Katrina
    disaster was inescapable through the mainstream media, whereas it was
    pretty easy to miss for the situation in Iowa.

    What I call an "observation", and Wirt seems to refer to as a "peculiar
    prejudice" is an opinion, which I mentioned at the end of my comment,
    and which was not selected in Wirt's response. So the question I have,
    and it is just an opinion, is whether or not the response was offered in
    the same spirit or whether it in itself was a peculiar prejudice?

    I have a good deal of respect for Wirt and what he has contributed to
    our community, but in this case I disagree with his analysis.

    Thanks,
    Howard

    > I think the media execs were the ones not interested. News is no

    longer
    > about news, but rather about ratings, and everybody knows that the

    good
    > folks in Iowa (as opposed to those awful and decadent folks in NOLA)

    are
    > not ratings magnets.

    The fundamental problem with Craig's complaints and your analysis,
    Howard, is
    that neither is true.

    Thirty minutes after reading Craig's bit of nonsense that began this
    thread, the
    Sunday version of NBC Nightly News ran a lengthy piece on the Cedar
    Rapids
    floods last night, with a tour of the city's damages and recovery being
    given
    by a local city councilman.

    I suspect the reason that more people don't see the "MSM"'s reports is
    that
    they simply don't bother to watch them, but would rather take refuge in
    their
    own peculiar prejudices, never being ones to let facts be a barrier to
    strongly
    held opinions, no matter how strange.

    Wirt Atmar

  5. Re: OT: It amazes me that the main stream media did not pick up on this

    http://www.absolutelyrics.com/lyrics..._evening_news/