OT: Euro Gas prices - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on OT: Euro Gas prices - Hewlett Packard ; If petro or Diesel prices are so high in Europe, how come no one has come up with an alternative? In the US I have heard that when we see 8.00 $US (or some high price) a gallon that we ...

  1. OT: Euro Gas prices

    If petro or Diesel prices are so high in Europe, how come no one has
    come up with an alternative?

    In the US I have heard that when we see 8.00 $US (or some high price) a
    gallon that we will find an alternative to gas/diesel driven engines and
    that some new technology is just around the corner and we just need the
    motivation.

    Are they waiting for the colonies to invent something?

    Just a thought

    Kent Wallace

    DISCLAIMER:
    The information in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged.
    It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorized.
    If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, or distribution of the message,
    or any action or omission taken by you in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
    Please immediately contact the sender if you have received this message in error. Thank you

  2. Re: OT: Euro Gas prices

    Kent Wallace wrote:

    If petro or Diesel prices are so high in Europe, how come no one has
    come up with an alternative?

    ====

    Gas prices have been so much higher in Europe than in North America for a
    long time (probably forever). The alternative that most European's chose was
    to design, build, and buy much smaller and more fuel efficient cars than
    typically used in North America.

    On another note, here's a gas guzzler calculator that tells you how long it
    will take you to break even by trading in your gas guzzler for a more fuel
    efficient car.

    http://www.edmunds.com/calculators/gas-guzzler.html

    (I sold in my gas guzzling VW Rabbit for $1 and bought a $150 bicycle about
    15 years ago. I figure I paid it off in a month or two based on 1993 gas
    prices. :-)

    Bruce

  3. Re: OT: Euro Gas prices

    I want to see you on Autoroute 13 in February.

    Denys (who has been working from home for the last 15 years.)

    If petro or Diesel prices are so high in Europe, how come no one has
    come up with an alternative?

    ====

    Gas prices have been so much higher in Europe than in North America for a
    long time (probably forever). The alternative that most European's chose was

    to design, build, and buy much smaller and more fuel efficient cars than
    typically used in North America.

    On another note, here's a gas guzzler calculator that tells you how long it
    will take you to break even by trading in your gas guzzler for a more fuel
    efficient car.

    http://www.edmunds.com/calculators/gas-guzzler.html

    (I sold in my gas guzzling VW Rabbit for $1 and bought a $150 bicycle about
    15 years ago. I figure I paid it off in a month or two based on 1993 gas
    prices. :-)

    Bruce

    Checked by AVG.
    7:40 AM

  4. Re: OT: Euro Gas prices

    Denys Beauchemin wrote:

    >I want to see you on Autoroute 13 in February.
    >
    > Denys (who has been working from home for the last 15 years.)

    I bike most of the winter in Toronto and Montreal. Cold isn't the problem.
    It is only the snow that makes biking any worse than the next alternative
    (public transit). I usually end up taking the streetcar or the Metro for
    about three weeks here and there in the winter. This winter, however, I was
    in Montreal for six weeks where it snowed and snowed. I only got to bike
    during one of those weeks.

    Did you check out the gas guzzler calculator? That was the main point of
    that post.

    Bruce

  5. Re: OT: Euro Gas prices

    What part of "I've been working from home for the last 15 years" was too
    confusing for you?

    Yeah, global cooling is tough on everyone.

    Denys

    >I want to see you on Autoroute 13 in February.
    >
    > Denys (who has been working from home for the last 15 years.)

    I bike most of the winter in Toronto and Montreal. Cold isn't the problem.
    It is only the snow that makes biking any worse than the next alternative
    (public transit). I usually end up taking the streetcar or the Metro for
    about three weeks here and there in the winter. This winter, however, I was
    in Montreal for six weeks where it snowed and snowed. I only got to bike
    during one of those weeks.

    Did you check out the gas guzzler calculator? That was the main point of
    that post.

    Bruce

    6:35 PM

  6. Re: OT: Euro Gas prices

    Denys:

    Right now, almost every bridge in or out of Montreal is under
    construction. Autoroute 13 is getting a major overhaul in 5 years. The
    bridge to Ile Perrot and the bridge on the 40 to Ontario are both under
    construction. The Mercier bridge will have its bed replaced during the
    next half year. Traffic on the 40 is about an hour any day any time
    either direction from Decarie through the West Island. All the roads in
    Montreal are in the worst shape ever.

    Just in front of my house, there are three roads under reconstruction
    for the last month and are to be finished in the next month.

    The main (Saint Laurent Blvd) was under reconstruction for more than a
    year and finally paved late last year to be ripped up once again this
    year for one reason or another.

    All this construction contributes to thousands of cars sitting idling
    for the car infront of them to move another few feet.

    Just last week I put almost 60 US dollars (a trip to the US for gas) in
    the tank. I am almost empty and have traveled just 200 kms.

    By the way, we had so much snow fall in Montreal this past winter that
    there are still many snow sites with plenty of snow.

    Regards, Olav.

    Denys Beauchemin wrote:

    >I want to see you on Autoroute 13 in February.
    >
    >Denys (who has been working from home for the last 15 years.)

  7. Re: OT: Euro Gas prices

    In article

    >, Nilesh Patel writes
    >Hi,
    >
    >Here is something that I came across many years ago.
    >
    >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmqpGZv0YT4
    >
    >TATA, an indian conglomerate, has recently bought the license for India.
    >
    >Nilesh.

    Thank you that was an interesting link
    --
    Alan Yeo
    ALANYEO@AFFIRM.CO.UK Just because you're paranoid

  8. Re: OT: Euro Gas prices

    Hi Bruce.
    I'm in Kitchener, ON, and also biking to work, good to hear someone doing the winter.
    I'm toying with extending my biking season this year.
    Cheers
    Ed

    Ed Effinger
    Senior Analyst
    Computer Systems
    Information Technology
    Conestoga College Institute of Technology
    and Advanced Learning
    519 748-5220 Ext: 3379