OT: It amazes me that the main stream media did not pick up on this - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on OT: It amazes me that the main stream media did not pick up on this - Hewlett Packard ; I don't know why the main stream media has ignored the events of Cedar Rapids. They were so eager to talk about the bodies rotting in the streets of New Orleans, and the murders at the Superdome.* Yet nary a ...

  1. OT: It amazes me that the main stream media did not pick up on this

    I don't know why the main stream media has ignored the events of Cedar Rapids.

    They were so eager to talk about the bodies rotting in the streets of New Orleans, and the murders at the Superdome.*

    Yet nary a word about how Cedar Rapids and Iowa City survived.* Have beenthere and seen it first hand, it was a lot worse than I have seen on the news.*

    Livestock farmers had to abandon their herds.

    http://gazetteonline.com/apps/pbcs.d...=2008621301923

    I guess people aren't interested in good news.

    -Craig

  2. Re: OT: It amazes me that the main stream media did not pick up on this

    Thanks for some really good news.
    Tom

    > I don't know why the main stream media has ignored the events of Cedar
    > Rapids.
    >
    > They were so eager to talk about the bodies rotting in the streets of New
    > Orleans, and the murders at the Superdome.
    >
    > Yet nary a word about how Cedar Rapids and Iowa City survived. Have been
    > there and seen it first hand, it was a lot worse than I have seen on the
    > news.
    >
    > Livestock farmers had to abandon their herds.
    >
    > http://gazetteonline.com/apps/pbcs.d...=2008621301923
    >
    > I guess people aren't interested in good news.
    >
    > -Craig

  3. Re: OT: It amazes me that the main stream media did not pick up on this

    Hi Craig,

    I think the media execs were the ones not interested. News is no longer about news, but rather about ratings, and everybody knows that the good folks in Iowa (as opposed to those awful and decadent folks in NOLA) are not ratings magnets. Showing those scenes in New Orleans was like broadcasting CSI episodes without the production costs, which translates into free advertising dollars. The open media of old no longer exists, and we are much the worse for it, in my opinion.

    Howard

    I don't know why the main stream media has ignored the events of Cedar Rapids.

    They were so eager to talk about the bodies rotting in the streets of New Orleans, and the murders at the Superdome.*

    Yet nary a word about how Cedar Rapids and Iowa City survived.* Have been there and seen it first hand, it was a lot worse than I have seen on the news.*

    Livestock farmers had to abandon their herds.

    http://gazetteonline.com/apps/pbcs.d...=2008621301923

    I guess people aren't interested in good news.

    -Craig

  4. Re: OT: It amazes me that the main stream media did not pick up on this

    I agree with Howard. Plus the internet allows for the transfer of
    "mundane" news items, freeing the networks from having to report them, and
    instead they search out the sensational.

    John Lee

    At 11:49 AM 7/7/08 -0700, Hoxsie, Howard wrote:
    >Hi Craig,
    >
    >I think the media execs were the ones not interested. News is no longer
    >about news, but rather about ratings, and everybody knows that the good
    >folks in Iowa (as opposed to those awful and decadent folks in NOLA) are
    >not ratings magnets. Showing those scenes in New Orleans was like
    >broadcasting CSI episodes without the production costs, which translates
    >into free advertising dollars. The open media of old no longer exists,
    >and we are much the worse for it, in my opinion.
    >
    >Howard

  5. Re: OT: It amazes me that the main stream media did not pick up on this

    In message <702642.58561.qm@web52705.mail.re2.yahoo.com>, Craig Lalley
    writes
    >I don't know why the main stream media has ignored the events of Cedar Rapids.
    >
    >They were so eager to talk about the bodies rotting in the streets of
    >New Orleans, and the murders at the Superdome.*
    >
    >Yet nary a word about how Cedar Rapids and Iowa City survived.* Have
    >been there and seen it first hand, it was a lot worse than I have seen
    >on the news.*
    >
    >Livestock farmers had to abandon their herds.
    >
    >http://gazetteonline.com/apps/pbcs.d...=2008621301923
    >
    >I guess people aren't interested in good news.
    >
    >-Craig

    I have seen nothing at all about Cedar Rapids in the UK press or on TV.
    If it wasn't for this List, I'd probably not even know it had happened.

    As you might know (if your media covered it), we had major flooding here
    in Gloucestershire last July/August; you couldn't drink the water as the
    pumping station had been contaminated by floodwater/sewage, and we had
    bowsers on every street corner, and bottled water for drinking being
    distributed in car parks and at supermarkets.

    We came within a hairsbreadth of losing all power when the water stopped
    a few inches below the flood defences of the local power station; word
    was that if that had happened, the Army was going to come in and make a
    mandatory evacuation of everyone.

    So it was pretty serious, and you might have seen something about it;
    certainly the press and TV over here covered it in great detail.

    But Cedar Rapids, from the links and pictures you've posted, looks a
    great deal worse.

    And yet, not a peep about it. How odd.

    --
    Roy Brown 'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be
    Kelmscott Ltd useful, or believe to be beautiful' William Morris