Semicolon and stuff - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Semicolon and stuff - Hewlett Packard ; On my quest to master my 50g, I have stumbled upon two doubts: 1. How do I insert the uppercase greek latter Phi? 2. Is there a newbie friendly UserRPL compiler for windows XP? Daniel....

  1. Semicolon and stuff

    On my quest to master my 50g, I have stumbled upon two doubts:

    1. How do I insert the uppercase greek latter Phi?
    2. Is there a newbie friendly UserRPL compiler for windows XP?

    Daniel.

  2. Re: Semicolon and stuff

    On Jul 5, 6:33*pm, Daniel Vianna
    wrote:
    > On my quest to master my 50g, I have stumbled upon two doubts:
    >
    > 1. How do I insert the uppercase greek latter Phi?
    > 2. Is there a newbie friendly UserRPL compiler for windows XP?
    >
    > Daniel.

    I don't see an upper-case Phi in the character map, so I think that
    means it's not on the calculator. Speaking of the character map, I
    find it amusing that it says ' (single quote) is accessed by pressing
    [ALPHA][RS][EQW] even though this was changed on the 49g+. Ooops.

  3. Re: Semicolon and stuff

    "Daniel Vianna" wrote in message
    > On my quest to master my 50g, I have stumbled upon two doubts:
    >
    > 1. How do I insert the uppercase greek latter Phi?

    [Alpha] [Right-Shift][ P ]

    EMU48, search www.hpcalc.org

    > Daniel.

  4. Re: Semicolon and stuff

    On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 01:10:21 -0500, Brandon Del Bel wrote:

    > I don't see an upper-case Phi in the character map,
    > so I think that means it's not on the calculator

    Except in only two places,
    the symbols in rows #C0h thru #FFh
    of ISO-8859-1, just as in the HP48/49/50,
    all occur in uppercase/lowercase pairs
    (the exceptions are D7/F7 and DF/FF).

    What's the pair at D8/F8 ?

    http://aspell.net/charsets/iso8859.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8859

    http://www.mathacademy.com/pr/prime/articles/greek/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_alphabet

    "UCASE and LCASE for all HP50/49/48"
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....5b461d5c0e9956

    > Speaking of the character map, I
    > find it amusing that it says ' (single quote) is accessed
    > by pressing [ALPHA][RS][EQW]
    > even though this was changed on the 49g+. Ooops.

    Although you could argue that it might just as well say [']
    for the final keystroke, instead of EQW (which is the same key anyway).
    it's actually correct.

    One single ['] character needs that keystroke sequence to generate it,
    although unshifted ['] followed by "backspace" and "cursor right"
    (the latter pair in either order) may do in a pinch

    Even the original HP48[S/G] "chars" function specified [Alpha][RS][']
    which also is correct, for all calculators thus far in HP48/49/50 series.

    [r->] [OFF]

  5. Re: Semicolon and stuff

    On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 02:37:18 -0500, VPN wrote:

    >> How do I insert the uppercase greek latter Phi?

    > [Alpha] [Right-Shift][ P ]

    Neither of us has found it, because evidently it's not there,
    as originally asserted.

    According to http://www.pemberley.com/janeinfo/latin1.html

    216 Capital O, slash ("Ø")
    222 Capital THORN, Icelandic ("Þ")

    248 Small o, slash ("ø")
    254 Small thorn, Icelandic ("þ")

    The single characters which you may see above when reading this post
    might vary; they look correct to me while composing,
    because my browser is using this same character set
    (or almost identical ISO-8859-15).

    [r->] [OFF]

  6. Re: Semicolon and stuff

    On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 04:49:54 -0500:

    > According to http://www.pemberley.com/janeinfo/latin1.html
    >
    > 216 Capital O, slash ("Ø")
    > 222 Capital THORN, Icelandic ("Þ")
    >
    > 248 Small o, slash ("ø")
    > 254 Small thorn, Icelandic ("þ")

    Another reference:

    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/sgml/entities.html

    = latin capital letter O slash,
    U+00D8 ISOlat1 -->

    U+00DE ISOlat1 -->

    = latin small letter o slash,
    U+00F8 ISOlat1 -->

    U+00FE ISOlat1 -->

    It looks as if Latin and Greek just don't mix,
    at least not in this neighborhood

    [r->] [OFF]

  7. Re: Semicolon and stuff

    On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 20:33:29 -0500, Daniel Vianna wrote:

    > On my quest to master my 50g:
    > Is there a newbie friendly UserRPL compiler for windows XP?

    UserRPL compiles (and decompiles) automatically on the calc,
    as you enter and edit stuff,
    or on an emulated calc under Windows XP:

    http://www.hpcalc.org/hp49/pc/emulators/
    http://www.hpcalc.org/hp48/pc/emulat...8v147setup.zip
    http://www.debug4x.com/ [instantly ready, ROM included]

    Where's the semicolon question? ;-)

    ..

  8. Re: Semicolon and stuff

    "John H Meyers" wrote in message
    newsp.udu6xgbmnn735j@miu.edu...
    > On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 02:37:18 -0500, VPN wrote:
    >
    >>> How do I insert the uppercase greek latter Phi?

    >> [Alpha] [Right-Shift][ P ]

    > Neither of us has found it, because evidently it's not there,
    > as originally asserted.

    I was reading Pi, as in capital pi
    eg Product Function, which is missing from tha calc

    Capital Greek sm S igma Function is there

    my bad about Phi
    but big pi (3,14159..when small pi)
    is there

    is [Alpha][RS][ T ] Theta ?

    One could make a character of his/her own by editing
    one of the characters in the font maps,
    but how could one then translate it to the PC charset?

    > According to http://www.pemberley.com/janeinfo/latin1.html
    >
    > 216 Capital O, slash ("Ø")

    [ALPHA][ O ][ALPHA][RS][ 9 ]

    > 222 Capital THORN, Icelandic ("Þ")

    [ALPHA][ P ][ALPHA][RS][ 9 ]

    > 248 Small o, slash ("ø")

    [ALPHA][LS][ O ][ALPHA][RS][ 9 ]

    > 254 Small thorn, Icelandic ("þ")

    [ALPHA][LS][ P ][ALPHA][RS][ 9 ]

    > The single characters which you may see above when reading this post
    > might vary; they look correct to me while composing,
    > because my browser is using this same character set
    > (or almost identical ISO-8859-15).
    >
    > [r->] [OFF]

  9. Re: Semicolon and stuff

    On Jul 5, 11:10*pm, Brandon Del Bel wrote:
    > On Jul 5, 6:33*pm, Daniel Vianna
    > wrote:
    >
    > > On my quest to master my 50g, I have stumbled upon two doubts:

    > > 1. How do I insert the uppercase greek latter Phi?
    > > 2. Is there a newbie friendly UserRPL compiler for windows XP?

    > > Daniel.

    > I don't see an upper-case Phi in the character map, so I think that
    > means it's not on the calculator. Speaking of the character map, I
    > find it amusing that it says ' (single quote) is accessed by pressing
    > [ALPHA][RS][EQW] even though this was changed on the 49g+. Ooops.

    Oh, I forgot to add that you could always make your own character by
    modifying one of the first few square ones. For example:
    http://oregonstate.edu/~delbelb/misc/phi.png

  10. Re: Semicolon and stuff

    On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 12:08:05 -0500:

    > Oh, I forgot to add that you could always make your own character
    > [Greek phi] by modifying one of the first few square ones.

    You can always make your own graphic for any unassigned character,
    or even usurp any other already-defined character,
    but such a "private" use is not universally interchangeable with others,
    as is the use of characters that already exist in the internal set,
    in which the Romans (and their various language descendants)
    got most of the characters, while the Greeks got very few

    When is Unicode support for HP50 coming out? ;-)

    http://www.hpcalc.org/search.php?query=unicode
    (sorry, no results yet

    [r->] [OFF]

+ Reply to Thread