Upgrade dV9720 hard drive? - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Upgrade dV9720 hard drive? - Hewlett Packard ; Hi, I have an HP laptop that was bought for me as a gift 3 months ago. I already need more HDD space, which was something I didn't know at the time. It came with 160 GB HD space, but ...

  1. Upgrade dV9720 hard drive?

    Hi,

    I have an HP laptop that was bought for me as a gift 3 months ago. I
    already need more HDD space, which was something I didn't know at the
    time. It came with 160 GB HD space, but it has 2 hDD. I'd like to
    get a larger HDD (and poss 7200 RPM) and install myself.

    Can you give me suggestions on which HDD (I need a SATA, but some are
    not good?). Which cover, 1 or 2, I should remove to access the caddy,
    and are there clear instructions to do this?

    I can usually figure it out once I'm in there but it doesn't ever hurt
    to ask or have a manual ;-)

    TIA
    See my soaps, etc!
    http://stores.ebay.com/Scarletts-Bath

  2. Re: Upgrade dV9720 hard drive?

    On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 14:23:52 -0500, WhystleStop
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have an HP laptop that was bought for me as a gift 3 months ago. I
    >already need more HDD space, which was something I didn't know at the
    >time. It came with 160 GB HD space, but it has 2 hDD. I'd like to
    >get a larger HDD (and poss 7200 RPM) and install myself.
    >
    >Can you give me suggestions on which HDD (I need a SATA, but some are
    >not good?). Which cover, 1 or 2, I should remove to access the caddy,
    >and are there clear instructions to do this?
    >
    >I can usually figure it out once I'm in there but it doesn't ever hurt
    >to ask or have a manual ;-)
    >
    >TIA
    >See my soaps, etc!
    >http://stores.ebay.com/Scarletts-Bath

    Why don't you simply use the same brand that came with your computer?

  3. Re: Upgrade dV9720 hard drive?

    Despite another suggestion, getting simply the same brand is not necessarily a
    good idea. It might not be SATA.

    All 2.5" drives these days are standardized, no matter what the manufacturer.
    Either they are SATA or older PATA. So get another larger SATA drive.
    Personally, I prefer Seagate and Fujitsu as first choices. Western Digital is
    OK. Hitachi is a bit of a question mark. I avoid Toshiba... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 14:23:52 -0500, WhystleStop wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have an HP laptop that was bought for me as a gift 3 months ago. I
    >already need more HDD space, which was something I didn't know at the
    >time. It came with 160 GB HD space, but it has 2 hDD. I'd like to
    >get a larger HDD (and poss 7200 RPM) and install myself.
    >
    >Can you give me suggestions on which HDD (I need a SATA, but some are
    >not good?). Which cover, 1 or 2, I should remove to access the caddy,
    >and are there clear instructions to do this?
    >
    >I can usually figure it out once I'm in there but it doesn't ever hurt
    >to ask or have a manual ;-)
    >
    >TIA
    >See my soaps, etc!
    >http://stores.ebay.com/Scarletts-Bath

  4. Re: Upgrade dV9720 hard drive?

    On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 23:27:39 -0400, Ben Myers
    wrote:

    >Despite another suggestion, getting simply the same brand is not necessarily a
    >good idea. It might not be SATA.
    >
    >All 2.5" drives these days are standardized, no matter what the manufacturer.
    >Either they are SATA or older PATA. So get another larger SATA drive.
    >Personally, I prefer Seagate and Fujitsu as first choices. Western Digital is
    >OK. Hitachi is a bit of a question mark. I avoid Toshiba... Ben Myers
    >
    >On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 14:23:52 -0500, WhystleStop wrote:
    >

    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I have an HP laptop that was bought for me as a gift 3 months ago. I
    >>already need more HDD space, which was something I didn't know at the
    >>time. It came with 160 GB HD space, but it has 2 hDD. I'd like to
    >>get a larger HDD (and poss 7200 RPM) and install myself.
    >>
    >>Can you give me suggestions on which HDD (I need a SATA, but some are
    >>not good?). Which cover, 1 or 2, I should remove to access the caddy,
    >>and are there clear instructions to do this?
    >>
    >>I can usually figure it out once I'm in there but it doesn't ever hurt
    >>to ask or have a manual ;-)
    >>
    >>TIA
    >>See my soaps, etc!
    >>http://stores.ebay.com/Scarletts-Bath

    You are correct of course. I should have specified the same "type".

+ Reply to Thread