Rapid variable assignment with lists? Is this possible? - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Rapid variable assignment with lists? Is this possible? - Hewlett Packard ; Hi everyone, I have saved a somewhat time consuming but trivial integral into a variable 'H'. This integral takes two temperatures (T1,T2) and 4 heat capacity variables (A,B,C,D). Is there any way I could set this up so I could ...

  1. Rapid variable assignment with lists? Is this possible?

    Hi everyone,

    I have saved a somewhat time consuming but trivial integral into a
    variable 'H'. This integral takes two temperatures (T1,T2) and 4 heat
    capacity variables (A,B,C,D). Is there any way I could set this up so
    I could just pass a list containing values for these variables (T1 T2
    A B C D) to the calculator and have it automatically Assign all the
    variables?

    If not, would it be simple enough to turn this into a function that
    takes these variables? If it is really easy, could you post some
    sample code that would get me on my way?

    Thanks a bunch!

  2. Re: Rapid variable assignment with lists? Is this possible?

    On Jun 25, 8:08*pm, Kyle Andrews wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I have saved a somewhat time consuming but trivial integral into a
    > variable 'H'. This integral takes two temperatures (T1,T2) and 4 heat
    > capacity variables (A,B,C,D). Is there any way I could set this up so
    > I could just pass a list containing values for these variables (T1 T2
    > A B C D) to the calculator and have it automatically Assign all the
    > variables?
    >
    > If not, would it be simple enough to turn this into a function that
    > takes these variables? If it is really easy, could you post some
    > sample code that would get me on my way?
    >
    > Thanks a bunch!

    {t1 t2 a b c d} {T1 T2 A B C D} STO

  3. Re: Rapid variable assignment with lists? Is this possible?

    On Jun 25, 8:08*pm, Kyle Andrews wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I have saved a somewhat time consuming but trivial integral into a
    > variable 'H'. This integral takes two temperatures (T1,T2) and 4 heat
    > capacity variables (A,B,C,D). Is there any way I could set this up so
    > I could just pass a list containing values for these variables (T1 T2
    > A B C D) to the calculator and have it automatically Assign all the
    > variables?
    >
    > If not, would it be simple enough to turn this into a function that
    > takes these variables? If it is really easy, could you post some
    > sample code that would get me on my way?
    >
    > Thanks a bunch!

    Kyle,

    I like using a local variable structure when a lot of variables are
    involved.
    Put your variables in a list on stack level 1 and then decompose the
    list and store the values into local variables.
    1: {1 2 3 4 5 6}
    << LIST-> @decompose list
    DROP @remove number of objects in list
    -> t1 t2 a b c d @store values in local variables
    << @your program goes here>>

    Mark

  4. Re: Rapid variable assignment with lists? Is this possible?

    On Jun 25, 11:07*pm, mnhollin...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > On Jun 25, 8:08*pm, Kyle Andrews wrote:
    >
    > > Hi everyone,

    > > I have saved a somewhat time consuming but trivial integral into a
    > > variable 'H'. This integral takes two temperatures (T1,T2) and 4 heat
    > > capacity variables (A,B,C,D). Is there any way I could set this up so
    > > I could just pass a list containing values for these variables (T1 T2
    > > A B C D) to the calculator and have it automatically Assign all the
    > > variables?

    > > If not, would it be simple enough to turn this into a function that
    > > takes these variables? If it is really easy, could you post some
    > > sample code that would get me on my way?

    > > Thanks a bunch!

    > Kyle,
    >
    > I like using a local variable structure when a lot of variables are
    > involved.
    > Put your variables in a list on stack level 1 and then decompose the
    > list and store the values into local variables.
    > 1: {1 2 3 4 5 6}
    > << LIST-> @decompose list
    > DROP @remove number of objects in list
    > -> t1 t2 a b c d @store values in local variables
    > << @your program goes here>>
    >

    > Mark

    Don't forget the closing right delimeters. I put them in this web form
    but they didn't
    appear. I see some of the other guys use /<< instead of << when
    posting. Maybe
    << means something in HTML(?) and it cuts them from the end of the
    post. By
    convention, the local variable names use lower case letters.

  5. Re: Rapid variable assignment with lists? Is this possible?

    In article
    <442a3f92-eb47-4bdb-a62f-5a5baa5f3074@8g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
    mnhollinger@yahoo.com wrote:

    > On Jun 25, 8:08*pm, Kyle Andrews wrote:
    > > Hi everyone,
    > >
    > > I have saved a somewhat time consuming but trivial integral into a
    > > variable 'H'. This integral takes two temperatures (T1,T2) and 4 heat
    > > capacity variables (A,B,C,D). Is there any way I could set this up so
    > > I could just pass a list containing values for these variables (T1 T2
    > > A B C D) to the calculator and have it automatically Assign all the
    > > variables?
    > >
    > > If not, would it be simple enough to turn this into a function that
    > > takes these variables? If it is really easy, could you post some
    > > sample code that would get me on my way?
    > >
    > > Thanks a bunch!

    > Kyle,
    >
    > I like using a local variable structure when a lot of variables are
    > involved.
    > Put your variables in a list on stack level 1 and then decompose the
    > list and store the values into local variables.
    > 1: {1 2 3 4 5 6}
    > << LIST-> @decompose list
    > DROP @remove number of objects in list
    > -> t1 t2 a b c d @store values in local variables
    > << @your program goes here>>

    Quicker than LIST-> DROP , is EVAL.
    When EVAL is used on a list, it merely strips off the list delimiters
    and puts the listed objects on the stack, which is what LIST-> DROP
    does..

  6. Re: Rapid variable assignment with lists? Is this possible?

    On Jun 26, 3:53*am, Virgil wrote:
    > In article
    > <442a3f92-eb47-4bdb-a62f-5a5baa5f3...@8g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
    >

    > *mnhollin...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > On Jun 25, 8:08*pm, Kyle Andrews wrote:
    > > > Hi everyone,

    > > > I have saved a somewhat time consuming but trivial integral into a
    > > > variable 'H'. This integral takes two temperatures (T1,T2) and 4 heat
    > > > capacity variables (A,B,C,D). Is there any way I could set this up so
    > > > I could just pass a list containing values for these variables (T1 T2
    > > > A B C D) to the calculator and have it automatically Assign all the
    > > > variables?

    > > > If not, would it be simple enough to turn this into a function that
    > > > takes these variables? If it is really easy, could you post some
    > > > sample code that would get me on my way?

    > > > Thanks a bunch!

    > > Kyle,

    > > I like using a local variable structure when a lot of variables are
    > > involved.
    > > Put your variables in a list on stack level 1 and then decompose the
    > > list and store the values into local variables.
    > > 1: {1 2 3 4 5 6}
    > > << LIST-> @decompose list
    > > DROP @remove number of objects in list
    > > -> t1 t2 a b c d @store values in local variables
    > > << @your program goes here>>

    > Quicker than LIST-> DROP , is EVAL.
    > When EVAL is used on a list, it merely strips off the list delimiters
    > and puts the listed objects on the stack, which is what LIST-> DROP
    > does..- Hide quoted text -

    Thanks Virgil, I never knew that. I just dusted off my HP 48G
    series AUR manual and on page 3-107 under "Obj. Type" is
    "List" and under "Effect of Evaluation" item 4 reads
    "Other objects are put on the stack."

  7. Re: Rapid variable assignment with lists? Is this possible?

    On Jun 26, 10:22 pm, mnhollin...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > On Jun 26, 3:53 am, Virgil wrote:
    > > Quicker than LIST-> DROP , is EVAL.
    > > When EVAL is used on a list, it merely strips off the list delimiters
    > > and puts the listed objects on the stack, which is what LIST-> DROP
    > > does..

    > Thanks Virgil, I never knew that. I just dusted off my HP 48G
    > series AUR manual and on page 3-107 under "Obj. Type" is
    > "List" and under "Effect of Evaluation" item 4 reads
    > "Other objects are put on the stack."

    EVAL is equivalent to LIST-> DROP for a list of values, but they give
    different results when functions are used in the list. For example:

    { 1 2 3 SQ } LIST-> DROP
    results in
    4: 1
    3: 2
    2: 3
    1: SQ

    while { 1 2 3 SQ } EVAL
    results in
    4:
    3: 1
    2: 2
    1: 9

    -wes

  8. Re: Rapid variable assignment with lists? Is this possible?

    Thanks for the help!

  9. Re: Rapid variable assignment with lists? Is this possible?

    { 1 2 3 } { A B C } stores 1 into 'A', 2 into 'B', 3 into 'C'

    { stuff } EVAL executes stuff just as in a program,
    but note that any quoted 'name' or \<< program \>>
    remains unquoted within a list,
    so that either is immediately evaluated,
    instead of being simply put on the stack.

    [r->] [OFF]

+ Reply to Thread