HP Pavilion a820n can use PCI-express video card? - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HP Pavilion a820n can use PCI-express video card? - Hewlett Packard ; Hi, I have a HP Pavilion a820n computer. I would like to replace the on- board graphics card with a plug-in type in order to use my LCD monitor(1680X1050). On ebay, I find some cards are PCI-Express. On internet I ...

  1. HP Pavilion a820n can use PCI-express video card?

    Hi,
    I have a HP Pavilion a820n computer. I would like to replace the on-
    board graphics card with a plug-in type in order to use my LCD
    monitor(1680X1050). On ebay, I find some cards are PCI-Express. On
    internet I find the mother board in Pavilion a802n has three PCI
    slots, see below. I want to know whether the PCI Express card can work
    in my computer. Thanks in advance.

    Expansion slots: Three PCI

  2. Re: HP Pavilion a820n can use PCI-express video card?

    On Jun 23, 8:36*pm, fl wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have a HP Pavilion a820n computer. I would like to replace the on-
    > board graphics card with a plug-in type in order to use my LCD
    > monitor(1680X1050). On ebay, I find some cards are PCI-Express. On
    > internet I find the mother board in Pavilion a802n has three PCI
    > slots, see below. I want to know whether the PCI Express card can work
    > in my computer. Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Expansion slots: *Three PCI

    Although the specification of a820n says that it has three PCI slots.
    I see only one notch in the bus connector. So, it is PCI or PCI
    Express bus? Thanks.

  3. Re: HP Pavilion a820n can use PCI-express video card?

    The motherboard in the A820n is a low-end one which lacks any sort of true video
    card slot, either AGP or PCI-Express. PCI and PCI-Express are incompatible,
    despite the similarities in names. Your only choice with the system would be a
    PCI card capable of handling the LCD resolution... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 17:36:42 -0700 (PDT), fl wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I have a HP Pavilion a820n computer. I would like to replace the on-
    >board graphics card with a plug-in type in order to use my LCD
    >monitor(1680X1050). On ebay, I find some cards are PCI-Express. On
    >internet I find the mother board in Pavilion a802n has three PCI
    >slots, see below. I want to know whether the PCI Express card can work
    >in my computer. Thanks in advance.
    >

    >Expansion slots: Three PCI

  4. Re: HP Pavilion a820n can use PCI-express video card?

    > Although the specification of a820n says that it has three PCI slots.
    > I see only one notch in the bus connector. So, it is PCI or PCI
    > Express bus? Thanks.

    Look for youself.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periphe...t_Interconnect
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCIe