Re: Request for a favor - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: Request for a favor - Hewlett Packard ; Shawn writes: > what about the same tech they use on youtube? Isn't that flash or > something? I don't have a problem with it on any platform or browser > (not a big flash fan though). Stan is the ...

  1. Re: Request for a favor

    Shawn writes:

    > what about the same tech they use on youtube? Isn't that flash or
    > something? I don't have a problem with it on any platform or browser
    > (not a big flash fan though). Stan is the one that turned me on to
    > Opera years ago and it is still my browser of choice, fast and secure
    > with lots of great features.

    Yes, Flash is Plan D.

    I had been considering Flash the least common of the Javascript-controllable
    players, but I may reconsider that stance.

    In the interim this afternoon, I also programmed up a Windows Media Player
    test. It's at:

    http://aics-research.com/testmovie30.html

    WMP only works with IE6 or IE7. Safari, Firefox and Opera don't support it.
    Nonetheless, WMP is present in every copy of Windows, and this page worksin
    98/Me/XP/Vista (although with different displays in each). Moreover, because
    the Windows OS represents 92% of the audience, and IE6 & IE7 are 65% of
    the browser population, this automatic presence instantly represents the
    majority population.

    All of the players are philosophically identical, but otherwise operate with
    completely different syntax, so it's a bit of a pain to program each one of them
    up. The advantage of Flash is that it puts up a wrapper around the complexity
    and you program against just that wrapper.

    However, there are always going to be some geeks who say, "Flash is evil!",
    and won't download it either.

    The Mac population is a little easier to deal with. Every user now has Safari
    and QuickTime preinstalled, so that population is instantly the most accessible.
    But as you say, because of the popularity of YouTube, Flash may be the way
    to go.

    Wirt Atmar

  2. Re: Request for a favor

    > However, there are always going to be some geeks who say, "Flash is
    > evil!", and won't download it either.

    Some geeks do download the Flash Player but use a Mozilla browser extension
    like Flash Block[1] or Toggle Flash[2] (for IE) to selectively allow useful
    Flash presentations.

    Mark W.

    1.) http://flashblock.mozdev.org/installation.html
    2.) http://flash.melameth.com/