Lockwords On HFS Directory Files - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Lockwords On HFS Directory Files - Hewlett Packard ; I built a file in the HFS directory in a Cobol program with the COMMAND intrinsic. No problem, worked ok. Then I tried to put a lockword on the file. Afterwards it became quite obvious that lockwording is a "no-no" ...

  1. Lockwords On HFS Directory Files

    I built a file in the HFS directory in a Cobol program with the COMMAND
    intrinsic. No problem, worked ok.

    Then I tried to put a lockword on the file. Afterwards it became quite
    obvious that lockwording is a "no-no" with HFS files.

    I tried to purge the file at the colon prompt and also inside MPEX.
    No can do. Cannot purge the file!

    Anyone know how to purge this file from the HFS directory?

    TIA,
    Brian.

    :LISTFILE /SYS/PUB/SNTINL005,-3
    ********************
    FILE: /SYS/PUB/SNTINL005

    FILE CODE : 0 FOPTIONS: ASCII,FIXED,NOCCTL,STD
    BLK FACTOR: 1 OWNER : MANAGER.SYS
    REC SIZE: 2252(BYTES) GROUP ID: SYS
    BLK SIZE: 2252(BYTES) SECURITY--READ : ANY
    EXT SIZE: 0(SECT) WRITE : ANY
    NUM REC: 2 APPEND : ANY
    NUM SEC: 256 LOCK : ANY
    NUM EXT: 1 EXECUTE : ANY
    MAX REC: 50000 **SECURITY IS ON
    FLAGS : NO ACCESSORS
    NUM LABELS: 0 CREATED : TUE, JUN 10, 2008, 2:23 PM
    MAX LABELS: 0 MODIFIED: TUE, JUN 10, 2008, 3:11 PM
    DISC DEV #: 1 ACCESSED: TUE, JUN 10, 2008, 3:11 PM
    SEC OFFSET: 0 LABEL ADDR: $00000013.$00588C20
    VOLCLASS : MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SETISC

    :MPEX

    MPEX/3000 29N00420 (c) VESOFT Inc, 1980 6.5 03:04918 For help type 'HELP'

    Hint: Balance the load on your discs -- move files around with %ALTFILE ;DEV=.

    %PURGE /SYS/PUB/SNTINL005
    -----Will purge /SYS/PUB/SNTINL005 (code "", type FA, EOF 2, 256 sectors)
    256 sectors will be saved
    OK to purge 1 file (y/N)? Y
    -----Purging /SYS/PUB/SNTINL005 (256 sectors)
    Error: Doing Fopen of /SYS/PUB/SNTINL005.
    Lockword on file being referenced cannot be specified.
    File System message 340
    %

  2. Re: Lockwords On HFS Directory Files

    Hi Brian,

    First, I'd be really interested to find out how you got a lockword on an HFS syntax file name. I can't find a way to do that. It's not supposed to be allowed.

    Assuming you managed to get a lockword on a file in the HFS namespace (I used debug creatively to make it happen), I found the following command sequence would allow such a file to be purged (from the CI prompt):

    :FILE X=/SYS/PUB/SNTINL005
    :PURGE *X/LOCKWORD <-- fill in your lockword of course
    :LISTFILE ./SYS/PUB/SNTINL005

    Take Care,
    Craig