Re: Request for a favor - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: Request for a favor - Hewlett Packard ; Shawn writes: > Doesn't work in the latest (non-beta) Opera browser on XP. For > myself, I also don't install Real or Quicktime because they are so > intrusive, putting in all sorts of little sneaky helper apps to get ...

  1. Re: Request for a favor

    Shawn writes:

    > Doesn't work in the latest (non-beta) Opera browser on XP. For
    > myself, I also don't install Real or Quicktime because they are so
    > intrusive, putting in all sorts of little sneaky helper apps to get
    > updates and hijack other things, I had disabled everything I could
    > with them and finally just uninstalled them altogether because they
    > were such a pain.

    The process of course doesn't stand a chance if you don't have a Javascript-
    controllable MP3 player on your machine. There are only three: QT, RP and
    Windows media player. I will add Windows media player soon, but that willonly
    be an option for people on Windows.

    As far as Opera goes, even if you had the necessary player, it has provento
    be the least reliable of the browsers. The following matrix is what we've
    determined to be true at the moment:

    IE6 and IE7 with QT work on 98/Me/XP and Vista (IE is not available on Mac)

    IE6 and IE7 with RP work on 98/XP and Vista, but not Me

    Safari with QT works on XP/Vista and Mac OS X

    Safari with RP works on XP/Vista and Mac OS X

    Firefox with QT doesn't work anywhere

    Firefox with RP works on XP/Vista and Mac OS X (and presumably Linux)

    Opera with QT doesn't work anywhere

    Opera with RP works on Mac OS X (but very flaky in its behavior)

    Opera with RP doesn't work on XP/Vista

    Given all of these choices and conditions, I designed the process so thatthe
    webpage you're signing onto is "testmovie," but it's just a front, a verybrief
    page to determine what operating system and browser you're running. Once
    we've determined that, we hand you over to one of two different webpages
    employing either the QT or RP player.

    I can put together a third webpage that will use WM. WM comes with the
    Windows operating system, so we may use that preferentially if you're on
    Windows.

    Wirt Atmar

  2. Re: Request for a favor

    what about the same tech they use on youtube? Isn't that flash or
    something? I don't have a problem with it on any platform or browser
    (not a big flash fan though). Stan is the one that turned me on to
    Opera years ago and it is still my browser of choice, fast and secure
    with lots of great features.

    At 10:45 AM 6/10/2008, Wirt Atmar wrote:
    >Shawn writes:
    >
    > > Doesn't work in the latest (non-beta) Opera browser on XP. For
    > > myself, I also don't install Real or Quicktime because they are so
    > > intrusive, putting in all sorts of little sneaky helper apps to get
    > > updates and hijack other things, I had disabled everything I could
    > > with them and finally just uninstalled them altogether because they
    > > were such a pain.

    >The process of course doesn't stand a chance if you don't have a Javascript-
    >controllable MP3 player on your machine. There are only three: QT, RP and
    >Windows media player. I will add Windows media player soon, but that
    >will only
    >be an option for people on Windows.
    >
    >As far as Opera goes, even if you had the necessary player, it has proven to
    >be the least reliable of the browsers. The following matrix is what we've
    >determined to be true at the moment:
    >
    >IE6 and IE7 with QT work on 98/Me/XP and Vista (IE is not available on Mac)
    >
    >IE6 and IE7 with RP work on 98/XP and Vista, but not Me
    >
    >Safari with QT works on XP/Vista and Mac OS X
    >
    >Safari with RP works on XP/Vista and Mac OS X
    >
    >Firefox with QT doesn't work anywhere
    >
    >Firefox with RP works on XP/Vista and Mac OS X (and presumably Linux)
    >
    >Opera with QT doesn't work anywhere
    >
    >Opera with RP works on Mac OS X (but very flaky in its behavior)
    >
    >Opera with RP doesn't work on XP/Vista
    >
    >Given all of these choices and conditions, I designed the process so that the
    >webpage you're signing onto is "testmovie," but it's just a front, a
    >very brief
    >page to determine what operating system and browser you're running. Once
    >we've determined that, we hand you over to one of two different webpages
    >employing either the QT or RP player.
    >
    >I can put together a third webpage that will use WM. WM comes with the
    >Windows operating system, so we may use that preferentially if you're on
    >Windows.
    >
    >Wirt Atmar

    Regards,

    Shawn Gordon