UserRPL program works on 48GX, doesn't on 49G - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on UserRPL program works on 48GX, doesn't on 49G - Hewlett Packard ; Hi: I have a UserRPL program that I've used on a 48GX for a long time. If I download the text file onto a 48Gx it loads and operates correctly, but if I take the same file and download it ...

  1. UserRPL program works on 48GX, doesn't on 49G

    Hi:

    I have a UserRPL program that I've used on a 48GX for a long time. If I
    download the text file onto a 48Gx it loads and operates correctly, but if I
    take the same file and download it to my 49G, i get a syntax error and the
    program is sitting on the stack. I've gone through it line by line, and the
    character translation on the 49 version matches the 48 version. The only
    weirdness I have detected is that the \->NUM command in the 48 doesn't
    appear in the 49 AUG, and appears to have been dropped, or at least not
    documented. I tried replacing it with EVAL, just to see if the program
    would load, but no joy. Are there any well known issues with 48 UserRPL
    programs that cause them to fail on the 49G? Thanks in advance,

    Jim

  2. Re: UserRPL program works on 48GX, doesn't on 49G

    Most probably you've got user variable which name coincides with some
    of the few new built-in commands; You can find comparison chart by VPN
    at hpcalc.org
    cheers,
    reth

    Jim Fekete wrote:
    > Hi:
    >
    > I have a UserRPL program that I've used on a 48GX for a long time. If I
    > download the text file onto a 48Gx it loads and operates correctly, but if I
    > take the same file and download it to my 49G, i get a syntax error and the
    > program is sitting on the stack. I've gone through it line by line, and the
    > character translation on the 49 version matches the 48 version. The only
    > weirdness I have detected is that the \->NUM command in the 48 doesn't
    > appear in the 49 AUG, and appears to have been dropped, or at least not
    > documented. I tried replacing it with EVAL, just to see if the program
    > would load, but no joy. Are there any well known issues with 48 UserRPL
    > programs that cause them to fail on the 49G? Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Jim

  3. Re: UserRPL program works on 48GX, doesn't on 49G

    Hi
    On 2008-05-19 10:59:17 +1000, "Jim Fekete" said:

    > I have a UserRPL program that I've used on a 48GX for a long time. If I
    > download the text file onto a 48Gx it loads and operates correctly, but if I
    > take the same file and download it to my 49G, i get a syntax error and the
    > program is sitting on the stack. I've gone through it line by line, and the

    ->NUM exists on the 49.

    Somewhere in your program, you are using a variable name with the same
    name as an HP49 commands. The HP49 introduced a lot of new commands.

    To find out which one it is, edit the string containing the program,
    remove the quotes (" ) at the beginning and end and validate with ENTER.

    It will show you which variable is causing the error, and put it in
    video inverse
    --
    They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
    deserve neither liberty or security (Benjamin Franklin)

  4. Re: UserRPL program works on 48GX, doesn't on 49G

    On May 18, 8:59*pm, "Jim Fekete" wrote:
    > Hi:
    >
    > I have *a UserRPL program that I've used on a 48GX for a long time. *If I
    > download the text file onto a 48Gx it loads and operates correctly, but ifI
    > take the same file and download it to my 49G, i get a syntax error and the
    > program is sitting on the stack. *I've gone through it line by line, andthe
    > character translation on the 49 version matches the 48 version. *The only
    > weirdness I have detected is that the \->NUM command in the 48 doesn't
    > appear in the 49 AUG, and appears to have been dropped, or at least not
    > documented. *I tried replacing it with EVAL, just to see if the program
    > would load, but no joy. *Are there any well known issues with 48 UserRPL
    > programs that cause them to fail on the 49G? *Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Jim

    Try this thread where the commands in the 49/50 that are not in the 48
    are listed:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....fe6c097e1118d9

    S.C.

  5. Re: UserRPL program works on 48GX, doesn't on 49G

    Thanks guys, found it, turned out to be I used STORE as a function, works
    fine on 48, horks up on the 49. Program is running.

    Jim

    "JYA" wrote in message
    > Hi
    > On 2008-05-19 10:59:17 +1000, "Jim Fekete" said:
    >
    >> I have a UserRPL program that I've used on a 48GX for a long time. If I
    >> download the text file onto a 48Gx it loads and operates correctly, but
    >> if I
    >> take the same file and download it to my 49G, i get a syntax error and
    >> the
    >> program is sitting on the stack. I've gone through it line by line, and
    >> the

    > ->NUM exists on the 49.
    >
    > Somewhere in your program, you are using a variable name with the same
    > name as an HP49 commands. The HP49 introduced a lot of new commands.
    >
    > To find out which one it is, edit the string containing the program,
    > remove the quotes (" ) at the beginning and end and validate with ENTER.
    >
    > It will show you which variable is causing the error, and put it in video
    > inverse
    > --
    > They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
    > deserve neither liberty or security (Benjamin Franklin)

  6. Re: UserRPL program works on 48GX, doesn't on 49G

    If a string is on the stack and doesn't compile via STR\-> or OBJ\->
    the following simple program can be used to check its syntax,
    in a manner similar to what JYA recommends:

    \<< DUP \->STR { V } + "" SWAP INPUT \>> 'SYN' STO

    This reads a copy of the string into an editor,
    at which point you should press ENTER to check it;
    the first syntax error, if any, will be highlighted
    (a corrected string simply returns to the stack instead).

    If you can't correct the string, abort with CANCEL
    and drop anything extra that's been returned.

    This works on any HP48/49/50,
    and also properly handles any embedded quoted strings.

    You may use STR\-> or OBJ\-> to compile a corrected string,
    exactly as it would be if typed into the command line
    (note that any commands which are not inside of programs or lists
    may be executed by doing this); if you want to do this always,
    you could insert either of those commands
    into the above program, after INPUT.

    [r->] [OFF]

  7. Re: UserRPL program works on 48GX, doesn't on 49G

    On 2008-05-20 12:37:04 +1000, "Jim Fekete" said:

    > Thanks guys, found it, turned out to be I used STORE as a function, works
    > fine on 48, horks up on the 49. Program is running.
    >
    > Jim

    Make sur before you compile your program the calculator in in
    approximate mode, so whatever is compiled is identical to what the HP48
    does and speed is the same

+ Reply to Thread