DVD writers won't recognize RW disks - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on DVD writers won't recognize RW disks - Hewlett Packard ; I have been running into this problem on two different computers. I can read a previously written-to CD-RW or DVD-RW in a DVD-ROM drive, but the same disks can't be read by either of the writer drives. When I try ...

  1. DVD writers won't recognize RW disks

    I have been running into this problem on two different computers. I
    can read a previously written-to CD-RW or DVD-RW in a DVD-ROM drive,
    but the same disks can't be read by either of the writer drives. When
    I try to open the drive in Explorer, it say "E:\ is not accessible.
    Incorrect function.".

    The only affect that I can seem to have on the situation is to check
    "Enable CD recording on this drive", in the the drive's properties.
    Then, I can "open" the disk in Explorer, but it says that the disk has
    0 bytes used and 0 bytes free space.

    Both computers use WinXP. They are a Pavillion a1130n, which is still
    using the stock HP DVD Writer 640b, and a Presario 6300US, to which we
    have just added a Lite-On DVD Writer DH-20A4P98C. Both OSs have all MS
    updates.

  2. Re: DVD writers won't recognize RW disks

    NVM I found a firmware update for my 640b, which solved the problem.

    This is probably going to be the problem with the other drive as well.

+ Reply to Thread