Re: OT: Were does the electricity come from? (Walter Levin) - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: OT: Were does the electricity come from? (Walter Levin) - Hewlett Packard ; Bruce Collins writes: > I've seen something like this a long time ago. > > I believe there is some static electricity generated when the water stream > breaks up into droplets, but I don't recall the details. > > ...

  1. Re: OT: Were does the electricity come from? (Walter Levin)

    Bruce Collins writes:

    > I've seen something like this a long time ago.
    >
    > I believe there is some static electricity generated when the water stream
    > breaks up into droplets, but I don't recall the details.
    >
    > You can find more info here
    > http://www.physics.lsa.umich.edu/dem...emo.asp?id=284

    Yes, exactly. Other devices to accomplish a similar result are:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_de_Graaff_generator
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wimshurst_Machine

    Wirt Atmar

  2. Re: OT: Were does the electricity come from? (Walter Levin)

    > Bruce Collins writes:
    >
    > > I've seen something like this a long time ago.
    > >
    > > I believe there is some static electricity generated when the water stream
    > > breaks up into droplets, but I don't recall the details.
    > >
    > > You can find more info here
    > > http://www.physics.lsa.umich.edu/dem...emo.asp?id=284

    > Yes, exactly. Other devices to accomplish a similar result are:
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_de_Graaff_generator
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wimshurst_Machine

    Of course one has to ask, "Can we produce a constant current in this method?"

    I don't think so. However, the idea of generating electricity by moving water
    is not impossible. Some think that by pushing water through really small tubes
    they can produce enough electricity to someday power small electronics.

    http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/18446

    Mark W.