Goodbye and Thanks! - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Goodbye and Thanks! - Hewlett Packard ; To all the loyal HP3000 folk out there, I just wanted to express my thanks for the great deal of support received from many of you over the years whenever any issues arose. As a longtime HP3000-L lurker and occasional ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Goodbye and Thanks!

  1. Goodbye and Thanks!

    To all the loyal HP3000 folk out there, I just wanted to express my thanks for
    the great deal of support received from many of you over the years whenever
    any issues arose.

    As a longtime HP3000-L lurker and occasional contributer, I think this
    cooperative venture has been a model for many other groups to emulate.
    Having first worked with an HP2000C (I think) back in 1972, I don't believe
    there's a finer group of people in the computer field anywhere than those
    associated with HP, at least the MPE'ers amongst us.

    I'm retiring from John Abbott College next week only slightly ahead of our
    HP3K's which should be fully decommissioned within a year. While my most
    recent responsibilities have regrettably concerned organizing system
    migrations away the HP's, I will always have fond memories of the most
    reliable platform I ever worked on in 42 years in IT.

    And as we say here in Quebec - au revoir, merci beaucoup et bonne chance
    tous.

    Cheers, Eric

    Eric Bender
    Coordinator, Computer Services
    John Abbott College
    Ste. Anne de Bellevue, Quebec, Canada

    * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, *
    * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html *


  2. Re: Goodbye and Thanks!

    Eric Bender wrote: I'm retiring from John Abbott College next week only slightly ahead of our
    HP3K's which should be fully decommissioned within a year. While my most
    recent responsibilities have regrettably concerned organizing system
    migrations away the HP's, I will always have fond memories of the most
    reliable platform I ever worked on in 42 years in IT.

    And as we say here in Quebec - au revoir, merci beaucoup et bonne chance
    tous.


    Eric,

    Thanks for sticking with us. It was good to have you.

    There is no requirement that you need to leave the list though.

    You may want to stick around, at least until we can get this Global Warming thing straightend out. :-)

    -Craig


    * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, *
    * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html *


  3. RDBMS connection from Fujistu Cobol

    I originally posted this to a PC Cobol listserv, and thought this also
    applies to the MPE group, because many of the 3000-L members have a
    great deal of experience in a wide range of technologies.

    I need to write a program using Fujitsu Cobol to connect to a Mysql
    data, and a M$ SQL2005 database.
    Does anyone have experience with this, or does a cobol specific listserv
    exist?

    I've been using Java to do this, but since I've discovered sp2, I want
    to use Cobol!

    Basically I want to design the program to prompt the user for:
    Mysql host/IP, user, pass, and port(3306)
    M$sql2005 host/IP, user, pass, and port(1455)
    Make the connections and then do allot of selects and inserts.
    I've looked at some examples, but it's about as clear as mud.

    For example; say I want to connect to a MySQL host "123.123.123.123",
    username "sa", and password "blahblah", and the default port of 3306.
    What would the Cobol code look like.
    Keep in mind I've been using HP3000 COBOL74/85 for 20+ years, just new
    to the GUI/SQL world.

    Any help will be much appreciated.


    --
    Michael Anderson,
    J3k Solutions
    Sr.Systems Programmer/Analyst
    832.515.3868

    * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, *
    * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html *


  4. Re: RDBMS connection from Fujistu Cobol

    I should mentioned what sp2 is, it's a product from a company called
    Flexus. They have been doing cobol user interfaces since the early 80's.
    They have a GUI tool that is much like vplus/formspec, where you create
    a forms file (panel file in this case), and design a new form. Takes you
    back to the simple days of Cobol and View, but it's Window and Unix and
    GUI. http://www.flexus.com/ not a plug because I don't work for them.


    Michael wrote:
    > I originally posted this to a PC Cobol listserv, and thought this also
    > applies to the MPE group, because many of the 3000-L members have a
    > great deal of experience in a wide range of technologies.
    >
    > I need to write a program using Fujitsu Cobol to connect to a Mysql
    > data, and a M$ SQL2005 database.
    > Does anyone have experience with this, or does a cobol specific
    > listserv exist?
    >
    > I've been using Java to do this, but since I've discovered sp2, I want
    > to use Cobol!
    >
    > Basically I want to design the program to prompt the user for:
    > Mysql host/IP, user, pass, and port(3306)
    > M$sql2005 host/IP, user, pass, and port(1455)
    > Make the connections and then do allot of selects and inserts.
    > I've looked at some examples, but it's about as clear as mud.
    >
    > For example; say I want to connect to a MySQL host "123.123.123.123",
    > username "sa", and password "blahblah", and the default port of 3306.
    > What would the Cobol code look like.
    > Keep in mind I've been using HP3000 COBOL74/85 for 20+ years, just new
    > to the GUI/SQL world.
    >
    > Any help will be much appreciated.
    >
    >



    --
    Michael Anderson,
    J3k Solutions
    Sr.Systems Programmer/Analyst
    832.515.3868

    * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, *
    * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html *


  5. Re: RDBMS connection from Fujistu Cobol

    maybe you should start with checking fujitsu's support web site?

    http://www.netcobol.com/support/tip_odbc.htm

    - d

    ---
    Donna Hofmeister
    Allegro Consultants, Inc.


    > -----Original Message-----
    > From: HP-3000 Systems Discussion [mailto:HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU] On
    > Behalf Of Michael
    > Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 11:58 AM
    > To: HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU
    > Subject: [HP3000-L] RDBMS connection from Fujistu Cobol
    >
    > I originally posted this to a PC Cobol listserv, and thought this also
    > applies to the MPE group, because many of the 3000-L members have a
    > great deal of experience in a wide range of technologies.
    >
    > I need to write a program using Fujitsu Cobol to connect to a Mysql
    > data, and a M$ SQL2005 database.
    > Does anyone have experience with this, or does a cobol specific
    > listserv
    > exist?
    >
    > I've been using Java to do this, but since I've discovered sp2, I want
    > to use Cobol!
    >
    > Basically I want to design the program to prompt the user for:
    > Mysql host/IP, user, pass, and port(3306)
    > M$sql2005 host/IP, user, pass, and port(1455)
    > Make the connections and then do allot of selects and inserts.
    > I've looked at some examples, but it's about as clear as mud.
    >
    > For example; say I want to connect to a MySQL host "123.123.123.123",
    > username "sa", and password "blahblah", and the default port of 3306.
    > What would the Cobol code look like.
    > Keep in mind I've been using HP3000 COBOL74/85 for 20+ years, just new
    > to the GUI/SQL world.
    >
    > Any help will be much appreciated.
    >
    >
    > --
    > Michael Anderson,
    > J3k Solutions
    > Sr.Systems Programmer/Analyst
    > 832.515.3868
    >
    > * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, *
    > * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html *


    * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, *
    * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html *


  6. Re: RDBMS connection from Fujistu Cobol

    -----Original Message-----
    From: HP-3000 Systems Discussion [mailto:HP3000-L@raven.utc.edu] On
    Behalf Of Michael
    Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 11:58 AM
    To: HP3000-L@raven.utc.edu
    Subject: RDBMS connection from Fujistu Cobol

    -----

    I'd use the mysql C library, which you can call from Fujitsu Cobol.

    * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, *
    * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html *


  7. Re: RDBMS connection from Fujistu Cobol

    Michael,

    Fujitsu NetCOBOL has support for embedded SQL (EXEC SQL) and
    the implementation is different depending on the platform
    you are using (HP-UX, Linux, Windows).

    The NetCOBOL User's Guide has this described in detail and
    there are sample programs included with the compiler.

    At QSS we chose to be as agnostic as reasonably possible so
    we developed our own SQL middleware (QDBI) which allows us to
    connect to many different SQL database engines without concern
    for the specific issues related to each (syntax, data type
    handling issues, etc.).

    However, for a simple in-house project I would try the embedded SQL
    route to see if that can work for you.

    duane

    * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, *
    * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html *


  8. Re: RDBMS connection from Fujistu Cobol

    Duane Percox wrote:
    > Michael,
    >
    > Fujitsu NetCOBOL has support for embedded SQL (EXEC SQL) and
    > the implementation is different depending on the platform
    > you are using (HP-UX, Linux, Windows).
    >
    > The NetCOBOL User's Guide has this described in detail and
    > there are sample programs included with the compiler.
    >
    > At QSS we chose to be as agnostic as reasonably possible so
    > we developed our own SQL middleware (QDBI) which allows us to
    > connect to many different SQL database engines without concern
    > for the specific issues related to each (syntax, data type
    > handling issues, etc.).
    >
    > However, for a simple in-house project I would try the embedded SQL
    > route to see if that can work for you.
    >
    > duane
    >
    >



    --
    Michael Anderson,
    J3k Solutions
    Sr.Systems Programmer/Analyst
    832.515.3868

    * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, *
    * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html *


  9. Re: RDBMS connection from Fujistu Cobol

    What I intended to say was "Thanks for your input Duane", you guys at
    QSS do some great stuff.

    Mike. ;-)

    * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, *
    * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html *


+ Reply to Thread