DC Power Plugs for HP/COMPAQ NC8430 - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on DC Power Plugs for HP/COMPAQ NC8430 - Hewlett Packard ; I have a box full of ac and mobile power bricks for the last couple families of HP Laptops. Every significant model roll seems to change the dc power plug specs, but little else, so I have simply put new ...

  1. DC Power Plugs for HP/COMPAQ NC8430

    I have a box full of ac and mobile power bricks for the last couple
    families of HP Laptops.

    Every significant model roll seems to change the dc power plug specs,
    but little else, so I have simply put new plugs or adapters on the
    ends and used all my accessories without issue (a volt or two here or
    there is likely within the specs of the power bricks...)

    My new NC8430 has a power plug that could probably be used for arc
    welding leads.

    The AC power brick model is (pick one):

    PA-1900-18H2
    hp p/n 384-021
    REPLACE WITH HP SPARE 391173-001

    output:
    90 watts
    19 volts
    4.7 amps

    Approximate physical specs:

    OD - 7.40 mm
    length - 12.5 mm
    ID - 5.0 mm

    I have searched all the local geek hardware shops, Fry's, etc. Ford
    Electronics in Fullerton even took pity on my and has gone to all
    their suppliers with a result of: nada, zip, nichts.

    I am bewildered that I need to spend more than $150 to get a mobile
    and additional power brick for this thing when I have a trunk full of
    them.

    Suggestions?

    tx

    pc

  2. Re: DC Power Plugs for HP/COMPAQ NC8430

    pc_whocares wrote:
    > I have a box full of ac and mobile power bricks for the last couple
    > families of HP Laptops.
    >
    > Every significant model roll seems to change the dc power plug specs,
    > but little else, so I have simply put new plugs or adapters on the
    > ends and used all my accessories without issue (a volt or two here or
    > there is likely within the specs of the power bricks...)
    >
    > My new NC8430 has a power plug that could probably be used for arc
    > welding leads.
    >
    > The AC power brick model is (pick one):
    >
    > PA-1900-18H2
    > hp p/n 384-021
    > REPLACE WITH HP SPARE 391173-001
    >
    > output:
    > 90 watts
    > 19 volts
    > 4.7 amps
    >
    > Approximate physical specs:
    >
    > OD - 7.40 mm
    > length - 12.5 mm
    > ID - 5.0 mm
    >
    > I have searched all the local geek hardware shops, Fry's, etc. Ford
    > Electronics in Fullerton even took pity on my and has gone to all
    > their suppliers with a result of: nada, zip, nichts.
    >
    > I am bewildered that I need to spend more than $150 to get a mobile
    > and additional power brick for this thing when I have a trunk full of
    > them.
    >
    > Suggestions?
    >
    > tx
    >
    > pc

    Cut the AC adapter's DC side in the middle and use connectors you like, to
    reconnect it then swap that pigtail beween whatever mobile adapter when
    you need to.

  3. Re: DC Power Plugs for HP/COMPAQ NC8430

    On Apr 22, 8:21 am, Cydrome Leader wrote:
    > pc_whocares wrote:
    > > I have a box full of ac and mobile power bricks for the last couple
    > > families of HP Laptops.

    > > Every significant model roll seems to change the dc power plug specs,
    > > but little else, so I have simply put new plugs or adapters on the
    > > ends and used all my accessories without issue (a volt or two here or
    > > there is likely within the specs of the power bricks...)

    > > My new NC8430 has a power plug that could probably be used for arc
    > > welding leads.

    > > The AC power brick model is (pick one):

    > > PA-1900-18H2
    > > hp p/n 384-021
    > > REPLACE WITH HP SPARE 391173-001

    > > output:
    > > 90 watts
    > > 19 volts
    > > 4.7 amps

    > > Approximate physical specs:

    > > OD - 7.40 mm
    > > length - 12.5 mm
    > > ID - 5.0 mm

    > > I have searched all the local geek hardware shops, Fry's, etc. Ford
    > > Electronics in Fullerton even took pity on my and has gone to all
    > > their suppliers with a result of: nada, zip, nichts.

    > > I am bewildered that I need to spend more than $150 to get a mobile
    > > and additional power brick for this thing when I have a trunk full of
    > > them.

    > > Suggestions?

    > > tx

    > > pc

    > Cut the AC adapter's DC side in the middle and use connectors you like, to
    > reconnect it then swap that pigtail beween whatever mobile adapter when
    > you need to.

    Thank you for your reply --> I've been doing that kind of stuff for
    over 40 years.

    The question is, where to find the damn plug.

    pc

  4. Re: DC Power Plugs for HP/COMPAQ NC8430

    pc_whocares wrote:
    > On Apr 22, 8:21 am, Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >> pc_whocares wrote:
    >> > I have a box full of ac and mobile power bricks for the last couple
    >> > families of HP Laptops.

    >> > Every significant model roll seems to change the dc power plug specs,
    >> > but little else, so I have simply put new plugs or adapters on the
    >> > ends and used all my accessories without issue (a volt or two here or
    >> > there is likely within the specs of the power bricks...)

    >> > My new NC8430 has a power plug that could probably be used for arc
    >> > welding leads.

    >> > The AC power brick model is (pick one):

    >> > PA-1900-18H2
    >> > hp p/n 384-021
    >> > REPLACE WITH HP SPARE 391173-001

    >> > output:
    >> > 90 watts
    >> > 19 volts
    >> > 4.7 amps

    >> > Approximate physical specs:

    >> > OD - 7.40 mm
    >> > length - 12.5 mm
    >> > ID - 5.0 mm

    >> > I have searched all the local geek hardware shops, Fry's, etc. Ford
    >> > Electronics in Fullerton even took pity on my and has gone to all
    >> > their suppliers with a result of: nada, zip, nichts.

    >> > I am bewildered that I need to spend more than $150 to get a mobile
    >> > and additional power brick for this thing when I have a trunk full of
    >> > them.

    >> > Suggestions?

    >> > tx

    >> > pc

    >> Cut the AC adapter's DC side in the middle and use connectors you like, to
    >> reconnect it then swap that pigtail beween whatever mobile adapter when
    >> you need to.

    > Thank you for your reply --> I've been doing that kind of stuff for
    > over 40 years.
    >
    > The question is, where to find the damn plug.
    >
    > pc

    No clue where to get the connectors. I'm not sure why everybody but IBM
    has to change laptop power cables connectors every 3 minutes, and to
    always use weird connectors in the first place.

    It's possible they're from a company like hirose or stewart, but good luck
    trying to cross reference them or finding any place that will just sell
    you a few. You might try digikey.

+ Reply to Thread