hp 50g broken key hinges - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on hp 50g broken key hinges - Hewlett Packard ; I have had my hp50g for about a year now, and use it daily for calculus, physics, and chemistry. Recently, the row of keys above the number pad (ie the divide key, EEX key, and +/- key) have started to ...

  1. hp 50g broken key hinges

    I have had my hp50g for about a year now, and use it daily for
    calculus, physics, and chemistry. Recently, the row of keys above the
    number pad (ie the divide key, EEX key, and +/- key) have started to
    develop problems where the key can be pressed a little off center
    without the key clicking (and sometimes without the key registering a
    press). More recently, my 5 and enter key have started to develop this
    same problem. Has anyone else had similar problems? I thought the
    50g's keyboard was supposed to be fixed somehow.

    Prior to getting my 50g, I have had to 49g+s. The first one was an
    earlier model with really stiff keys that missed keystrokes regularly.
    Hp quickly replaced it under warranty without question and didn't ask
    for the old one back. My second 49g+ developed keyboard problems
    similar to my 50g, and eventually the keys became completely loose,
    "floating" in place and almost impossible to press. My second 49g+ was
    already out of warranty, but after a long time on the phone, hp
    replaced it as well and didn't ask for the old one back.

    Luckily, my 50g's keyboard has not broken to the point where the keys
    are "floating" in place, but I am almost completely sure that it will
    eventually become so, as my 49g+ did. I wonder how common problems
    with the 50g's keyboard are. I realize that I probably use my
    calculator more than most people, but there don't seem to be any
    complaints about the 50g's key hinges breaking. Would hp replace my
    calculator a third time, or am I out of luck?

    PS what change exactly was made to the 50g's keyboard? I remember
    reading somewhere that metal domes are used, but was the hinge design
    ever actually changed?

  2. Re: hp 50g broken key hinges

    On Apr 21, 9:40*pm, drela...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I have had my hp50g for about a year now, and use it daily for
    > calculus, physics, and chemistry. Recently, the row of keys above the
    > number pad (ie the divide key, EEX key, and +/- key) have started to
    > develop problems where the key can be pressed a little off center
    > without the key clicking (and sometimes without the key registering a
    > press). More recently, my 5 and enter key have started to develop this
    > same problem. Has anyone else had similar problems? I thought the
    > 50g's keyboard was supposed to be fixed somehow.

    I have had my 50g for about 15 months now and some of the keys are
    "mushy" - i.e. don't give that satisfying click. The keys along the
    bottom row (ON, 0, ., SPC, ENTER) sometimes do not register the
    keypress.

    > PS what change exactly was made to the 50g's keyboard? I remember
    > reading somewhere that metal domes are used, but was the hinge design
    > ever actually changed?

    I think HP reformulated the plastic used in the keys so that it is
    more flexible. Supposedly, this should increase the life of the keys.
    Over time though, the repeated bending of the plastic causes stress in
    the material and eventually it will break.

    S.C.

  3. Re: hp 50g broken key hinges

    drelac80@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I have had my hp50g for about a year now, and use it daily for
    > calculus, physics, and chemistry. Recently, the row of keys above the
    > number pad (ie the divide key, EEX key, and +/- key) have started to
    > develop problems where the key can be pressed a little off center
    > without the key clicking (and sometimes without the key registering a
    > press). More recently, my 5 and enter key have started to develop this
    > same problem. Has anyone else had similar problems? I thought the
    > 50g's keyboard was supposed to be fixed somehow.
    >
    > Prior to getting my 50g, I have had to 49g+s. The first one was an
    > earlier model with really stiff keys that missed keystrokes regularly.
    > Hp quickly replaced it under warranty without question and didn't ask
    > for the old one back. My second 49g+ developed keyboard problems
    > similar to my 50g, and eventually the keys became completely loose,
    > "floating" in place and almost impossible to press. My second 49g+ was
    > already out of warranty, but after a long time on the phone, hp
    > replaced it as well and didn't ask for the old one back.
    >
    > Luckily, my 50g's keyboard has not broken to the point where the keys
    > are "floating" in place, but I am almost completely sure that it will
    > eventually become so, as my 49g+ did. I wonder how common problems
    > with the 50g's keyboard are. I realize that I probably use my
    > calculator more than most people, but there don't seem to be any
    > complaints about the 50g's key hinges breaking. Would hp replace my
    > calculator a third time, or am I out of luck?
    >
    > PS what change exactly was made to the 50g's keyboard? I remember
    > reading somewhere that metal domes are used, but was the hinge design
    > ever actually changed?

    I'm still battling with HP to get a replacement calc for the obviously
    flawed 49g+. I didn't complain until after the warranty period thinking
    somehow HP would make good on it. If still under warranty get it replaced.

  4. Re: hp 50g broken key hinges

    On Apr 22, 6:09 pm, jobar wrote:
    > drela...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > I have had my hp50g for about a year now, and use it daily for
    > > calculus, physics, and chemistry. Recently, the row of keys above the
    > > number pad (ie the divide key, EEX key, and +/- key) have started to
    > > develop problems where the key can be pressed a little off center
    > > without the key clicking (and sometimes without the key registering a
    > > press). More recently, my 5 and enter key have started to develop this
    > > same problem. Has anyone else had similar problems? I thought the
    > > 50g's keyboard was supposed to be fixed somehow.

    > > Prior to getting my 50g, I have had to 49g+s. The first one was an
    > > earlier model with really stiff keys that missed keystrokes regularly.
    > > Hp quickly replaced it under warranty without question and didn't ask
    > > for the old one back. My second 49g+ developed keyboard problems
    > > similar to my 50g, and eventually the keys became completely loose,
    > > "floating" in place and almost impossible to press. My second 49g+ was
    > > already out of warranty, but after a long time on the phone, hp
    > > replaced it as well and didn't ask for the old one back.

    > > Luckily, my 50g's keyboard has not broken to the point where the keys
    > > are "floating" in place, but I am almost completely sure that it will
    > > eventually become so, as my 49g+ did. I wonder how common problems
    > > with the 50g's keyboard are. I realize that I probably use my
    > > calculator more than most people, but there don't seem to be any
    > > complaints about the 50g's key hinges breaking. Would hp replace my
    > > calculator a third time, or am I out of luck?

    > > PS what change exactly was made to the 50g's keyboard? I remember
    > > reading somewhere that metal domes are used, but was the hinge design
    > > ever actually changed?

    > I'm still battling with HP to get a replacement calc for the obviously
    > flawed 49g+. I didn't complain until after the warranty period thinking
    > somehow HP would make good on it. If still under warranty get it replaced.

    could this problem be due to heavy use? or just a bad one out of the
    batch?

  5. Re: hp 50g broken key hinges

    On Apr 22, 6:09 pm, jobar wrote:
    > drela...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > I have had my hp50g for about a year now, and use it daily for
    > > calculus, physics, and chemistry. Recently, the row of keys above the
    > > number pad (ie the divide key, EEX key, and +/- key) have started to
    > > develop problems where the key can be pressed a little off center
    > > without the key clicking (and sometimes without the key registering a
    > > press). More recently, my 5 and enter key have started to develop this
    > > same problem. Has anyone else had similar problems? I thought the
    > > 50g's keyboard was supposed to be fixed somehow.

    > > Prior to getting my 50g, I have had to 49g+s. The first one was an
    > > earlier model with really stiff keys that missed keystrokes regularly.
    > > Hp quickly replaced it under warranty without question and didn't ask
    > > for the old one back. My second 49g+ developed keyboard problems
    > > similar to my 50g, and eventually the keys became completely loose,
    > > "floating" in place and almost impossible to press. My second 49g+ was
    > > already out of warranty, but after a long time on the phone, hp
    > > replaced it as well and didn't ask for the old one back.

    > > Luckily, my 50g's keyboard has not broken to the point where the keys
    > > are "floating" in place, but I am almost completely sure that it will
    > > eventually become so, as my 49g+ did. I wonder how common problems
    > > with the 50g's keyboard are. I realize that I probably use my
    > > calculator more than most people, but there don't seem to be any
    > > complaints about the 50g's key hinges breaking. Would hp replace my
    > > calculator a third time, or am I out of luck?

    > > PS what change exactly was made to the 50g's keyboard? I remember
    > > reading somewhere that metal domes are used, but was the hinge design
    > > ever actually changed?

    > I'm still battling with HP to get a replacement calc for the obviously
    > flawed 49g+. I didn't complain until after the warranty period thinking
    > somehow HP would make good on it. If still under warranty get it replaced.

    could this problem be due to heavy use? or just a bad one out of the
    batch?

  6. Re: hp 50g broken key hinges

    On Apr 22, 6:09 pm, jobar wrote:
    > drela...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > I have had my hp50g for about a year now, and use it daily for
    > > calculus, physics, and chemistry. Recently, the row of keys above the
    > > number pad (ie the divide key, EEX key, and +/- key) have started to
    > > develop problems where the key can be pressed a little off center
    > > without the key clicking (and sometimes without the key registering a
    > > press). More recently, my 5 and enter key have started to develop this
    > > same problem. Has anyone else had similar problems? I thought the
    > > 50g's keyboard was supposed to be fixed somehow.

    > > Prior to getting my 50g, I have had to 49g+s. The first one was an
    > > earlier model with really stiff keys that missed keystrokes regularly.
    > > Hp quickly replaced it under warranty without question and didn't ask
    > > for the old one back. My second 49g+ developed keyboard problems
    > > similar to my 50g, and eventually the keys became completely loose,
    > > "floating" in place and almost impossible to press. My second 49g+ was
    > > already out of warranty, but after a long time on the phone, hp
    > > replaced it as well and didn't ask for the old one back.

    > > Luckily, my 50g's keyboard has not broken to the point where the keys
    > > are "floating" in place, but I am almost completely sure that it will
    > > eventually become so, as my 49g+ did. I wonder how common problems
    > > with the 50g's keyboard are. I realize that I probably use my
    > > calculator more than most people, but there don't seem to be any
    > > complaints about the 50g's key hinges breaking. Would hp replace my
    > > calculator a third time, or am I out of luck?

    > > PS what change exactly was made to the 50g's keyboard? I remember
    > > reading somewhere that metal domes are used, but was the hinge design
    > > ever actually changed?

    > I'm still battling with HP to get a replacement calc for the obviously
    > flawed 49g+. I didn't complain until after the warranty period thinking
    > somehow HP would make good on it. If still under warranty get it replaced.

    could this problem be due to heavy use? or just a bad one out of the
    batch?

  7. Re: hp 50g broken key hinges

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 22:49:38 -0500, J.Chen wrote:

    > could this problem be due to heavy use?

    Any use of a poor keyboard design is "heavy use," apparently.

    "Metal domes" addresses contact reliability, but apparently
    nothing addresses the stable positioning of the keys,
    once their flimsy binding to the original "matrix" tears off,
    which remains much as it was -- just delayed a bit
    by slightly better plastic.

    "A chain is only as strong as its weakest link"

    -[ ]-

  8. Re: hp 50g broken key hinges

    On Apr 22, 8:39 am, sc_use...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > On Apr 21, 9:40 pm, drela...@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    > > I have had my hp50g for about a year now, and use it daily for
    > > calculus, physics, and chemistry. Recently, the row of keys above the
    > > number pad (ie the divide key, EEX key, and +/- key) have started to
    > > develop problems where the key can be pressed a little off center
    > > without the key clicking (and sometimes without the key registering a
    > > press). More recently, my 5 and enter key have started to develop this
    > > same problem. Has anyone else had similar problems? I thought the
    > > 50g's keyboard was supposed to be fixed somehow.

    > I have had my 50g for about 15 months now and some of the keys are
    > "mushy" - i.e. don't give that satisfying click. The keys along the
    > bottom row (ON, 0, ., SPC, ENTER) sometimes do not register the
    > keypress.
    >

    > > PS what change exactly was made to the 50g's keyboard? I remember
    > > reading somewhere that metal domes are used, but was the hinge design
    > > ever actually changed?

    > I think HP reformulated the plastic used in the keys so that it is
    > more flexible. Supposedly, this should increase the life of the keys.
    > Over time though, the repeated bending of the plastic causes stress in
    > the material and eventually it will break.
    >
    > S.C.

    I am in the same situation. Zero and space are the iffiest. Arrgh.
    Irl

  9. Re: hp 50g broken key hinges

    On Apr 22, 11:40 am, drela...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I have had my hp50g for about a year now, and use it daily for
    > calculus, physics, and chemistry. Recently, the row of keys above the
    > number pad (ie the divide key, EEX key, and +/- key) have started to
    > develop problems where the key can be pressed a little off center
    > without the key clicking (and sometimes without the key registering a
    > press). More recently, my 5 and enter key have started to develop this
    > same problem. Has anyone else had similar problems? I thought the
    > 50g's keyboard was supposed to be fixed somehow.
    >
    > Prior to getting my 50g, I have had to 49g+s. The first one was an
    > earlier model with really stiff keys that missed keystrokes regularly.
    > Hp quickly replaced it under warranty without question and didn't ask
    > for the old one back. My second 49g+ developed keyboard problems
    > similar to my 50g, and eventually the keys became completely loose,
    > "floating" in place and almost impossible to press. My second 49g+ was
    > already out of warranty, but after a long time on the phone, hp
    > replaced it as well and didn't ask for the old one back.
    >
    > Luckily, my 50g's keyboard has not broken to the point where the keys
    > are "floating" in place, but I am almost completely sure that it will
    > eventually become so, as my 49g+ did. I wonder how common problems
    > with the 50g's keyboard are. I realize that I probably use my
    > calculator more than most people, but there don't seem to be any
    > complaints about the 50g's key hinges breaking. Would hp replace my
    > calculator a third time, or am I out of luck?
    >
    > PS what change exactly was made to the 50g's keyboard? I remember
    > reading somewhere that metal domes are used, but was the hinge design
    > ever actually changed?

    these days I got 2 HP48 (G+ and GX) in mint condition of ebay for less
    than what they were sold here in Australia when they were available

  10. Re: hp 50g broken key hinges

    On Apr 23, 4:34 am, reth wrote:
    > On Apr 22, 11:40 am, drela...@yahoo.com wrote:
    >

    > > I have had my hp50g for about a year now, and use it daily for
    > > calculus, physics, and chemistry. Recently, the row of keys above the
    > > number pad (ie the divide key, EEX key, and +/- key) have started to
    > > develop problems where the key can be pressed a little off center
    > > without the key clicking (and sometimes without the key registering a
    > > press). More recently, my 5 and enter key have started to develop this
    > > same problem. Has anyone else had similar problems? I thought the
    > > 50g's keyboard was supposed to be fixed somehow.

    > > Prior to getting my 50g, I have had to 49g+s. The first one was an
    > > earlier model with really stiff keys that missed keystrokes regularly.
    > > Hp quickly replaced it under warranty without question and didn't ask
    > > for the old one back. My second 49g+ developed keyboard problems
    > > similar to my 50g, and eventually the keys became completely loose,
    > > "floating" in place and almost impossible to press. My second 49g+ was
    > > already out of warranty, but after a long time on the phone, hp
    > > replaced it as well and didn't ask for the old one back.

    > > Luckily, my 50g's keyboard has not broken to the point where the keys
    > > are "floating" in place, but I am almost completely sure that it will
    > > eventually become so, as my 49g+ did. I wonder how common problems
    > > with the 50g's keyboard are. I realize that I probably use my
    > > calculator more than most people, but there don't seem to be any
    > > complaints about the 50g's key hinges breaking. Would hp replace my
    > > calculator a third time, or am I out of luck?

    > > PS what change exactly was made to the 50g's keyboard? I remember
    > > reading somewhere that metal domes are used, but was the hinge design
    > > ever actually changed?

    > these days I got 2 HP48 (G+ and GX) in mint condition of ebay for less
    > than what they were sold here in Australia when they were available

    it seems that calculators are disposable nowadays

  11. Re: hp 50g broken key hinges

    J.Chen wrote:
    > On Apr 22, 6:09 pm, jobar wrote:
    >> drela...@yahoo.com wrote:
    >>> I have had my hp50g for about a year now, and use it daily for
    >>> calculus, physics, and chemistry. Recently, the row of keys above the
    >>> number pad (ie the divide key, EEX key, and +/- key) have started to
    >>> develop problems where the key can be pressed a little off center
    >>> without the key clicking (and sometimes without the key registering a
    >>> press). More recently, my 5 and enter key have started to develop this
    >>> same problem. Has anyone else had similar problems? I thought the
    >>> 50g's keyboard was supposed to be fixed somehow.
    >>> Prior to getting my 50g, I have had to 49g+s. The first one was an
    >>> earlier model with really stiff keys that missed keystrokes regularly.
    >>> Hp quickly replaced it under warranty without question and didn't ask
    >>> for the old one back. My second 49g+ developed keyboard problems
    >>> similar to my 50g, and eventually the keys became completely loose,
    >>> "floating" in place and almost impossible to press. My second 49g+ was
    >>> already out of warranty, but after a long time on the phone, hp
    >>> replaced it as well and didn't ask for the old one back.
    >>> Luckily, my 50g's keyboard has not broken to the point where the keys
    >>> are "floating" in place, but I am almost completely sure that it will
    >>> eventually become so, as my 49g+ did. I wonder how common problems
    >>> with the 50g's keyboard are. I realize that I probably use my
    >>> calculator more than most people, but there don't seem to be any
    >>> complaints about the 50g's key hinges breaking. Would hp replace my
    >>> calculator a third time, or am I out of luck?
    >>> PS what change exactly was made to the 50g's keyboard? I remember
    >>> reading somewhere that metal domes are used, but was the hinge design
    >>> ever actually changed?

    >> I'm still battling with HP to get a replacement calc for the obviously
    >> flawed 49g+. I didn't complain until after the warranty period thinking
    >> somehow HP would make good on it. If still under warranty get it replaced.

    > could this problem be due to heavy use? or just a bad one out of the
    > batch?

    Exactly the opposite problem. The thing was babied to such a degree that
    the latent problem didn't manifest until the warranty expired. If I had
    treated it rough, it would have fallen apart and I would have had it
    replaced by HP's "award winning support team".

    Oh well. Let me tell you about my Fluke 87 or my Tek 453 scope both of
    which cost me < the HP 49g+ and actually work (after 30 years for the
    Tek).

  12. Re: hp 50g broken key hinges

    On Apr 23, 5:30*am, "John H Meyers" wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 22:49:38 -0500, J.Chen wrote:
    > > could this problem be due to heavy use?

    > Any use of a poor keyboard design is "heavy use," apparently.
    >
    > "Metal domes" addresses contact reliability, but apparently
    > nothing addresses the stable positioning of the keys,
    > once their flimsy binding to the original "matrix" tears off,
    > which remains much as it was -- just delayed a bit
    > by slightly better plastic.
    >
    > "A chain is only as strong as its weakest link"
    >
    > -[ ]-

    It seems the "click" of the 50G keyboard has only cosmetic value. With
    previous HP calculators the "click" was a guarantee of a registered
    keystroke. Now, with my 50G, success is determined by the pressure of
    the keystroke. The "click" is irrelevant and a misleading irritation.
    Typing has become hard work: both with having to press hard and to
    monitor whether the keystroke has registered. HP should correct their
    shoddy keyboards or buy them in from Cassio.

  13. Re: hp 50g broken key hinges

    On Apr 23, 5:54*pm, Nigel wrote:
    > It seems the "click" of the 50G keyboard has only cosmetic value. With
    > previous HP calculators the "click" was a guarantee of a registered
    > keystroke. Now, with my 50G, success is determined by the pressure of
    > the keystroke. The "click" is irrelevant and a misleading irritation.
    > Typing has become hard work: both with having to press hard and to
    > monitor whether the keystroke has registered. HP should correct their
    > shoddy keyboards or buy them in from Cassio.

    Yes, it is quite possible to make the keys on the 50g "click" without
    having them register. On older HP's (e.g. Pioneer series) this was
    impossible to do.

    Could it be that whatever causes the keys to click is not aligned with
    whatever causes the keys to register? Something with the inverting
    metal domes?

    And while they're at it, HP should rediscover their formula for the
    plastic in the keys. They had it right until the end of the HP48
    series when all quality started going downhill.

    S.C.

  14. Re: hp 50g broken key hinges

    wrote in message

    Yep, I mentioned it in an earlier thread. My +/- does not always
    register....grrrrrrr.

    Scott Chapin

+ Reply to Thread