OT: WEB Pats (portals) - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on OT: WEB Pats (portals) - Hewlett Packard ; Hi all, I just got done reading how to do WEB Parts in ASP.NET (for my own edification), and I really feel as though this is a technology that's just not practical. The idea is that you can create a ...

  1. OT: WEB Pats (portals)

    Hi all,

    I just got done reading how to do WEB Parts in ASP.NET (for
    my own edification), and I really feel as though this is a technology
    that's just not practical. The idea is that you can create a WEB page
    that the user can modify to his/her liking, and then each time the page
    is revisited by that user, their custom page is presented rather than
    the default page.

    Modifying the WEB page by the user is not an intuitive
    process, and at a minimum, it would take some knowledge to learn to use
    the end-user portion of the WEB parts technology (which I'm sure is
    available to all on MSDN.COM).

    At any rate, It'd be interesting to hear if anyone out there
    has (or knows of) a WEB page that's deployed WEB parts?

    TIA,

    Raymond Shahan

    Information Systems
    REPUBLIC TITLE OF TEXAS, INC.
    2701 W Plano Parkway
    <http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ad...ay&csz=75075&c
    ountry=us&new=1&name=&qty=>
    Plano, TX 75075

    direct 214.556.0202
    main 972.578.8611
    fax 972.424.5621

    www.republictitle.com

    rshahan@republictitle.com

    Life is not a journey to the grave with the
    intention of arriving safely in a pretty and
    well preserved body, but rather to skid in
    broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out,
    and loudly proclaiming:

    -- WOW!!! What a Ride!!!

  2. Re: WEB Pats (portals)

    Try http://cm.my.yahoo.com/?rd=nux. There many other examples in use.

    Portals have been around for a years. In fact, Microsoft has had Shareplex
    for quite a few years. Portals are a proven technology. This new term "WEB
    Parts in ASP.NET" just sounds like a way for Microsoft to introduce the
    concept to organizations in a Microsoft-centric way. I wonder if it's a
    relabeling of Shareplex?

    At any rate, the "customization" aspect of Portals does not have to be
    dangerous. In fact, I have not seen it done in a dangerous fashion. The
    Portlets that the customer chooses are self-contained and self sufficient.

    One practical application that many on this list can relate to would be an
    Accounts Receivable application. Let's say for example, one of George's
    responsibilities is cash application. So rather than have an entire menu
    for all of the Accounts Receivable application, he removes all of the other
    menu choices that he does not use and leaves Cash Application and any others
    that concern him. This change in no way affects the integrity of the
    application any more than customizing you're my.yahoo page compromises that
    of yahoo.

    Charles Finley
    619-795-0720

  3. Re: OT: WEB Pats (portals)

    > At any rate, It'd be interesting to hear if anyone out there
    > has (or knows of) a WEB page that's deployed WEB parts?

    Microsoft's SharePoint services and SharePoint Portal is completely made up of
    web parts. The operative term here is "Mash Up" - let users create their own
    web pages with the information that interests them. Both Google and Yahoo have
    had this capability for a while. Google calls them gadgets, Java calls them
    Portlets and Microsoft calls them Web Parts.

    Thinking outside the web browser for a minute, the rise of Rich Internet
    Applications or RIAs (think iTunes) shows another target of using these web
    components. A software company could web enable each module and then let users
    have a dashboard of just of information that they need. To really make these
    components useful, they need to be able to communicate with each other. If you
    have an Open A/R web part and an Open Orders web part and you choose a new
    customer (via another web part) then the other components need to refresh.

    I think you'll be seeing more of this and the backend of these systems will
    use some kind of web service processing to bind it all together. Yes, it will
    take time for users to figure out how to manipulate them to their benefit but
    that's true for any technology.

    Mark W.