From: HP-3000 Systems Discussion [mailto:HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU] On
Behalf Of John Lee
Sent: Monday, April 21, 2008 1:18 PM
To: HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU
Subject: Re: [HP3000-L] OT: The first robin of spring and she's not
happy

We have a hawk that hunts our yard. It's amazing to see how quiet it
gets
when he/she is around. ALL activity ceases...absolutely every living
creature smaller than a cat is hidden, except the crows. They dive bomb
it
and make a huge racket, and it eventually leaves.

John Lee

At 12:32 PM 4/21/08 -0500, Matthew Perdue wrote:
>Quoting dave@CLEARSKYSYSTEMS.COM:
>
>There does seem to be a proliferation of wild life that we just didn't

see
>in town before. Raccoons, hawks and deer to mention a few. Coyotes seem

>be getting more numerous in the country side also.
>----------
>I can attest to the increase in bird, raccoon and especially deer
>populations in my area, which is for tax purposes "rural, agricultural"

and
>has been farmed since at least the 1940's. The overall immediate area

around
>my house is probably 1,000 acres with some use changing to residential
>development outside that radius. Perhaps the residential development is
>causing the wildlife populations to relocate and become more dense.
>
>As far as the deer are concerned, it's a constant battle between me and

the
>deer as to who gets my roses - they seem to delight in eating new leaf
>growth. I call them "mouths with hooves." Their "trimming" of new leaf
>growth sends the plant into shock, and has eventually killed more than

>few.
>
>Once when putting out more seed for the birds, the little "messenger"

was
>chirping up a storm on a branch near me, until it heard a couple of

hawks
>make their call about 100' above us. The little fellow instantly

stopped
>chirping, looked around, silently moved to another branch, decided he

had to
>change position again and remained silent for at least 15 minutes while

>was outside. It was interesting to note his reaction to another bird's
>communication.

>--

4/21/08