Re: OT: The first robin of spring and she's not happy - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: OT: The first robin of spring and she's not happy - Hewlett Packard ; Quoting dave@CLEARSKYSYSTEMS.COM : There does seem to be a proliferation of wild life that we just didn't see in town before. Raccoons, hawks and deer to mention a few. Coyotes seem to be getting more numerous in the country side ...

  1. Re: OT: The first robin of spring and she's not happy

    Quoting dave@CLEARSKYSYSTEMS.COM:

    There does seem to be a proliferation of wild life that we just didn't see
    in town before. Raccoons, hawks and deer to mention a few. Coyotes seem to
    be getting more numerous in the country side also.
    ----------
    I can attest to the increase in bird, raccoon and especially deer
    populations in my area, which is for tax purposes "rural, agricultural" and
    has been farmed since at least the 1940's. The overall immediate area around
    my house is probably 1,000 acres with some use changing to residential
    development outside that radius. Perhaps the residential development is
    causing the wildlife populations to relocate and become more dense.

    As far as the deer are concerned, it's a constant battle between me and the
    deer as to who gets my roses - they seem to delight in eating new leaf
    growth. I call them "mouths with hooves." Their "trimming" of new leaf
    growth sends the plant into shock, and has eventually killed more than a
    few.

    Once when putting out more seed for the birds, the little "messenger" was
    chirping up a storm on a branch near me, until it heard a couple of hawks
    make their call about 100' above us. The little fellow instantly stopped
    chirping, looked around, silently moved to another branch, decided he had to
    change position again and remained silent for at least 15 minutes while I
    was outside. It was interesting to note his reaction to another bird's
    communication.

  2. Re: OT: The first robin of spring and she's not happy

    We have a hawk that hunts our yard. It's amazing to see how quiet it gets
    when he/she is around. ALL activity ceases...absolutely every living
    creature smaller than a cat is hidden, except the crows. They dive bomb it
    and make a huge racket, and it eventually leaves.

    John Lee