Can use 24pin ATX PS on 20pin MB? - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Can use 24pin ATX PS on 20pin MB? - Hewlett Packard ; I can use a 24 pin power supply on a 20 pin MB, right? Could there be any possible complications? I want to put the stock 24 pin PS from a Pavillion a1130n into a 20 pin Presario 6300US MB....

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Can use 24pin ATX PS on 20pin MB?

  1. Can use 24pin ATX PS on 20pin MB?

    I can use a 24 pin power supply on a 20 pin MB, right? Could there be
    any possible complications?

    I want to put the stock 24 pin PS from a Pavillion a1130n into a 20
    pin Presario 6300US MB.

  2. Re: Can use 24pin ATX PS on 20pin MB?

    Yes, just as long as you get the correct 20 pins plugged into the motherboard.
    Actually, the 24-pin connector is keyed in such a way that you can hardly go
    wrong. Many aftermarket 24-pin power supplies have a 24-pin connector with 4 of
    the pins separating from the other 20... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 21:54:53 -0700 (PDT), ShadowTek
    wrote:

    >I can use a 24 pin power supply on a 20 pin MB, right? Could there be
    >any possible complications?
    >
    >I want to put the stock 24 pin PS from a Pavillion a1130n into a 20
    >pin Presario 6300US MB.


  3. Re: Can use 24pin ATX PS on 20pin MB?

    Yeah, the new PS I got for the a1130n has the separate 4-piece
    connector. I knew that particular PS could be used in a 20 pin MB
    since the manual said so. I just wasn't absolutely certain if there
    was any difference between the PSs that don't have separate pieces.

    Thanks.

  4. Re: Can use 24pin ATX PS on 20pin MB?

    The connector pinouts are standard for the 24-pinner, whether or not there are
    separate 4-pin and 20-pin parts... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 05:43:43 -0700 (PDT), ShadowTek
    wrote:

    >Yeah, the new PS I got for the a1130n has the separate 4-piece
    >connector. I knew that particular PS could be used in a 20 pin MB
    >since the manual said so. I just wasn't absolutely certain if there
    >was any difference between the PSs that don't have separate pieces.
    >
    >Thanks.


  5. Re: Can use 24pin ATX PS on 20pin MB?

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 21:54:53 -0700 (PDT), ShadowTek wrote:

    >I can use a 24 pin power supply on a 20 pin MB, right? Could there be
    >any possible complications?


    None. Just hang the extra pins off the end.

    >I want to put the stock 24 pin PS from a Pavillion a1130n into a 20
    >pin Presario 6300US MB.


    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

  6. Re: Can use 24pin ATX PS on 20pin MB?

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 01:40:37 -0400, Ben Myers wrote:

    >Yes, just as long as you get the correct 20 pins plugged into the motherboard.
    >Actually, the 24-pin connector is keyed in such a way that you can hardly go
    >wrong. Many aftermarket 24-pin power supplies have a 24-pin connector with 4 of
    >the pins separating from the other 20... Ben Myers


    Yes, be sure to put it in the right place BELOW the text to which you are replying.

    See http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting for more information.

    >On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 21:54:53 -0700 (PDT), ShadowTek
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I can use a 24 pin power supply on a 20 pin MB, right? Could there be
    >>any possible complications?
    >>
    >>I want to put the stock 24 pin PS from a Pavillion a1130n into a 20
    >>pin Presario 6300US MB.


    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

  7. Re: Can use 24pin ATX PS on 20pin MB?

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 16:03:23 -0400, Ben Myers wrote:

    >The connector pinouts are standard for the 24-pinner, whether or not there are
    >separate 4-pin and 20-pin parts... Ben Myers


    However getting your reply in the proper place is important.

    See http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting for more information.

    >On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 05:43:43 -0700 (PDT), ShadowTek
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Yeah, the new PS I got for the a1130n has the separate 4-piece
    >>connector. I knew that particular PS could be used in a 20 pin MB
    >>since the manual said so. I just wasn't absolutely certain if there
    >>was any difference between the PSs that don't have separate pieces.
    >>
    >>Thanks.


    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

  8. Re: Can use 24pin ATX PS on 20pin MB?

    Are we not being redundant here, with three off-topic posts to the same thread?
    .... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 22:31:43 +1000, Barry OGrady
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 21:54:53 -0700 (PDT), ShadowTek wrote:
    >
    >>I can use a 24 pin power supply on a 20 pin MB, right? Could there be
    >>any possible complications?

    >
    >None. Just hang the extra pins off the end.
    >
    >>I want to put the stock 24 pin PS from a Pavillion a1130n into a 20
    >>pin Presario 6300US MB.

    >
    >Barry
    >=====
    >Home page
    >http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og


+ Reply to Thread