On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 02:53:33 -0400, Craig Lalley
wrote:

>From: Brice Yokem
>Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 10:55:15 -0400
>

>>After doing a little math, I figurered if the asteroid
>>ere causes to move sideways by 1 inch a second,
>>after a year it would make a difference of about 500
>>miles. I do not know what kind of force would be
>>necessary to do this, but 500 miles is not much
>>compared to the diameter of the earth.

>Brice,
>
>I think there is a flaw in your logic. You are assuming a linear trajectory (I

am
>not sure if that is the correct terminology).
>
>Let me give you an example.
>
>If a rifle is fired at a object 1 mile away, and then defect the barrel1 inch

off
>target, the result is a large miss.
>
>That's not a great analogy, and I am sure others can up with better ones..
>
>The point is if, you can deflect the asteroid 1 inch and it is millions of miles
>away, that may be "good enough".
>
>-Craig

Craig -

Your analogy to the rifle is not the same. I am no astrophysicist, but
moving the barrel of a rifle one inch off target is not the same as
imparting a force on the bullet as it comes out of the barrel to make it
move 1 inch per second sideways.

The 1 inch per second would cause the asteroid to move slightly
closer to some celestial bodies and further away from others. The
gravitational effect of those objects could make a difference, but
unless they are close, there probably will not be much.

So, all I did was take the number of seconds in a year and turn that
into inches. Result - 500 miles or so.

Of course if the force imparted causes an ACCELLERATION of
1 inch/ Sec^2, that would make a big difference.