HP 50g: Integration of EXP(-X^2) - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HP 50g: Integration of EXP(-X^2) - Hewlett Packard ; Hello, the Ti folks can integrate EXP(-X^2), e. g. from -infinity to infinity. If I try this on my 50G this way: * enter integral in equation editor, ENTER * EVAL it (X becomes Xt?!) * ->NUM .... it says ...

  1. HP 50g: Integration of EXP(-X^2)

    Hello,

    the Ti folks can integrate EXP(-X^2), e. g. from -infinity to
    infinity. If I try this on my 50G this way:

    * enter integral in equation editor, ENTER
    * EVAL it (X becomes Xt?!)
    * ->NUM

    .... it says "->NUM error: Overflow". With both borders real it works
    though. How could I work around this problem and calculate this
    integral with infinite borders?

    Regards,

    Björn

    --
    BOFH excuse #431:

    Borg implants are failing

  2. Re: HP 50g: Integration of EXP(-X^2)

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 06:36:25 -0500, Bjoern Schliessmann wrote:

    > the TI folks can integrate EXP(-X^2) from -infinity to infinity.

    '\.S(-\oo,\oo,EXP(-SQ(X)),X)' \->NUM

    Result: 1.7724538509

    Flags: { #7881A10201615FF1h #0 #5150410A214020h #0 }

    [r->] [OFF]

  3. Re: HP 50g: Integration of EXP(-X^2)

    John H Meyers wrote:
    > On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 06:36:25 -0500, Bjoern Schliessmann wrote:
    >
    >> the TI folks can integrate EXP(-X^2) from -infinity to infinity.

    > '\.S(-\oo,\oo,EXP(-SQ(X)),X)' \->NUM
    >
    > Result: 1.7724538509

    Thanks. Unfortunately, this gave me an overflow error just as
    before ...

    > Flags: { #7881A10201615FF1h #0 #5150410A214020h #0 }

    So some flags may be set wrongly -- how can I correlate the menu
    entries with those numbers?

    > [r->] [OFF]

    I'm sorry, I don't understand. What should be turned off, is it
    about base conversions?

    Regards,

    Björn

    --
    BOFH excuse #23:

    improperly oriented keyboard

  4. Re: HP 50g: Integration of EXP(-X^2)

    Bjoern Schliessmann WROTE:
    > John H Meyers wrote:

    >> [r->] [OFF]

    > I'm sorry, I don't understand. What should be turned off, is it
    > about base conversions?

    I vote for having this text on the next probe to outer space, who is
    with me?

    Thomas

    --

    All your base are belong to us

  5. Re: HP 50g: Integration of EXP(-X^2)

    On Apr 21, 6:14*pm, Bjoern Schliessmann mail-0306.20.chr0n...@spamgourmet.com> wrote:
    > John H Meyers wrote:
    > > On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 06:36:25 -0500, Bjoern Schliessmann wrote:

    > >> the TI folks can integrate EXP(-X^2) from -infinity to infinity.

    > > '\.S(-\oo,\oo,EXP(-SQ(X)),X)' \->NUM

    > > Result: 1.7724538509

    > Thanks. Unfortunately, this gave me an overflow error just as
    > before ...
    >
    > > Flags: { #7881A10201615FF1h #0 #5150410A214020h #0 }

    > So some flags may be set wrongly -- how can I correlate the menu
    > entries with those numbers?

    The easiest thing to do would be to set those flags as he had the,
    using STOF,
    and slowly change flags back to your preferred settings, trying the
    calculation after every few changes to find out where the problem is.

    > > [r->] [OFF]

    > I'm sorry, I don't understand. What should be turned off, is it
    > about base conversions?

    That is just one of John H Meyer's signature lines. It stands for the
    rightshift "OFF" (ON key) combination that turns the calculator off.
    As far as I can tell, that means he actually tested what he talked
    about on his calculator, and since he is done, he turns it off.

    > Regards,
    >
    > Björn
    >
    > --
    > BOFH excuse #23:
    >
    > improperly oriented keyboard

  6. Re: HP 50g: Integration of EXP(-X^2)

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 22:30:34 -0500:

    > That is just one of John H Meyers' signature lines. It stands for the
    > rightshift "OFF" (ON key) combination that turns the calculator off.
    > As far as I can tell, that means he actually tested what he talked
    > about on his calculator, and since he is done, he turns it off.

    Did anyone ever have a battery-operated "coffin" coin bank,
    which, when a coin was placed on a slot on top, would start rocking,
    then a lid would open and ghoulish hand would emerge, reach up,
    snatch the coin, and then retreat back into the "coffin,"
    thus closing the lid and turning itself off?

    That's [r->] [OFF]

    ---

    Everyone has a USB mouse, but who has a USB hamster?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9hnZX6eyTA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E157IlC_3o

    Intel vs. AMD (do not do this in-flight)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgOmMAasqto
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSALep8QZ84 [WMD?]
    (how about an overclocked 49G+/50G?)

    ..

  7. Re: HP 50g: Integration of EXP(-X^2)

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 17:14:08 -0500, Bjoern Schliessmann wrote:

    >> '\.S(-\oo,\oo,EXP(-SQ(X)),X)' \->NUM
    >> Result: 1.7724538509
    >> Flags: { #7881A10201615FF1h #0 #5150410A214020h #0 }

    > Unfortunately, this gave me an overflow error just as before ...

    You didn't first store the flag list (STOF command).

    It will suffice to first do the CASCFG command,
    also clear flags -20 and -21 (Underflow/Overflow).

    Of course, we already know that the answer is Sqrt(pi),
    but just want to get a "second opinion" from calculators
    that know more than we do

    [r->] [OFF]

  8. Re: HP 50g: Integration of EXP(-X^2)

    John H Meyers wrote:
    > On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 17:14:08 -0500, Bjoern Schliessmann wrote:

    >> Unfortunately, this gave me an overflow error just as before ...

    > You didn't first store the flag list (STOF command).

    Ah, ok!

    > It will suffice to first do the CASCFG command,
    > also clear flags -20 and -21 (Underflow/Overflow).

    Well, what do you know, that did it! Thank you very much.

    I already noticed the flag, but I didn't realize it could matter.

    > Of course, we already know that the answer is Sqrt(pi),
    > but just want to get a "second opinion" from calculators
    > that know more than we do

    Er, sure Just wanted to try a Ti-optimized textbook problem on a
    50g.

    > [r->] [OFF]

    (\me is a little bit embarassed)

    Regards,

    Björn

    --
    BOFH excuse #219:

    Recursivity. Call back if it happens again.

  9. Re: HP 50g: Integration of EXP(-X^2)

    Thomas Becker wrote:
    > Bjoern Schliessmann WROTE:
    >> John H Meyers wrote:

    >>> [r->] [OFF]

    >> I'm sorry, I don't understand. What should be turned off, is it
    >> about base conversions?

    > I vote for having this text on the next probe to outer space, who
    > is with me?

    Argl, please no The aliens will think all of us are /that/ slow
    on the uptake.

    OTOH, this could very well be a strategic advantage ...

    Anyway, thanks everyone!

    Regards,

    Björn

    --
    BOFH excuse #259:

    Someone's tie is caught in the printer, and if anything else gets
    printed, he'll be in it too.

  10. Re: HP 50g: Integration of EXP(-X^2)

    On Apr 22, 7:58*am, "John H Meyers" wrote:
    > On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 22:30:34 -0500:
    >
    > > That is just one of John H Meyers' signature lines. It stands for the
    > > rightshift "OFF" (ON key) combination that turns the calculator off.
    > > As far as I can tell, that means he actually tested what he talked
    > > about on his calculator, and since he is done, he turns it off.

    > Did anyone ever have a battery-operated "coffin" coin bank,
    > which, when a coin was placed on a slot on top, would start rocking,
    > then a lid would open and ghoulish hand would emerge, reach up,
    > snatch the coin, and then retreat back into the "coffin,"
    > thus closing the lid and turning itself off?
    >
    > That's [r->] [OFF]

    VISTA:
    You just equated a pictographic representation of the key presses used
    to turn a calculator off (a method of conserving energy) with a cool
    looking, but definitely not energy efficient coin storage device.
    Cancel or Allow?

+ Reply to Thread