From: Brice Yokem
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 10:55:15 -0400

>After doing a little math, I figurered if the asteroid
>ere causes to move sideways by 1 inch a second,
>after a year it would make a difference of about 500
>miles. I do not know what kind of force would be
>necessary to do this, but 500 miles is not much
>compared to the diameter of the earth.

Brice,

I think there is a flaw in your logic. You are assuming a linear trajectory (I am
not sure if that is the correct terminology).

Let me give you an example.

If a rifle is fired at a object 1 mile away, and then defect the barrel 1 inch off
target, the result is a large miss.

That's not a great analogy, and I am sure others can up with better ones.

The point is if, you can deflect the asteroid 1 inch and it is millions of miles
away, that may be "good enough".

-Craig