Re: Disk Shuffle - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: Disk Shuffle - Hewlett Packard ; Wyell The directory option will preserve your current accounting structure. -----Original Message----- From: HP-3000 Systems Discussion [mailto:HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU]On Behalf Of Wyell Grunwald Sent: Friday, April 18, 2008 3:38 PM To: HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU Subject: Re: [HP3000-L] Disk Shuffle Matthew, Thanks so much for ...

  1. Re: Disk Shuffle

    Wyell

    The directory option will preserve your current accounting structure.

    -----Original Message-----
    From: HP-3000 Systems Discussion [mailto:HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU]On
    Behalf Of Wyell Grunwald
    Sent: Friday, April 18, 2008 3:38 PM
    To: HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU
    Subject: Re: [HP3000-L] Disk Shuffle

    Matthew,

    Thanks so much for your nuggets of wisdom !
    The comments on the CONFIG group files being on LDEV=1 are great !
    The primary path is not going to change (they are all SCSI connected, and I
    am swapping the SCSI id's when I swap the drives).
    One question, when I restore with the DIRECTORY option, does this make sure
    that the access rights, capabilities, limits, etc. are the same as before ?
    (That was why I was using BULDJOB1).

    Wyell Grunwald

    From: Matthew Perdue

    > To your store parameters I'd add:
    > PARTIALDB;ONVS=MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET
    > for your store tape set for the system volume set
    >
    > PARTIALDB;ONVS=EXTRA_EXTERNAL_VOLUME_SET
    > for your store tape set for the external volume set
    >
    > I'd make 2 store tape sets for each volume set and verify BOTH sets with
    > VSTORE
    >
    > I'd change the config in SYSGEN in the group CONFIG to be what you want
    > *after* your move process, as the changes won't take affect until your

    next
    > boot from the CONFIG group, which will be after you've moved discs. Unless

    > of course you boot between some of your steps, or issue a DOIONOW command
    > after you've changed the IO config, but you don't want to do that during
    > this move process anyway.
    >
    > Just be sure *all* the files in your config group you intend to use are on

    > LDEV 1 after the install, otherwise you'll end up with a box that boots on

    > one drive (yep, LDEV 1) possibly without any other drives, and a bunch of
    > directory problems.
    >
    > You don't need to purge all the accounts on the external volume set as the

    > VSCLOSE and SCRATCHVOL processes will do this for you (well, the

    SCRATCHVOL
    > is actually the command that will do the work, the VSCLOSE makes the
    > SCRATCHVOL possible as you can't scratch an open volume set).
    >
    > At #10 yes, change the SCSI id's.
    >
    > Before #15 change the primary path in stable storage to reflect the new
    > primary path you want to use. This prevents boot problems in the future

    when
    > it's possible to forget in haste that the primary path was changed when

    the
    > discs were changed.
    >
    > Step #26 not necessary.
    >
    > On the restore for the system volume set and external volume set specify

    the
    > DIRECTORY option, as well as the PROGRESS option set at 3 instead of 1 -

    an
    > update every 3 minutes is usually sufficient.
    >
    > When you do your restore and specify the DIRECTORY option you do not need

    > run the BULDJOB1 as the restore recreated the system directory for you.

    You
    > should run the BULDJOB2 to take care of the udc's, unless you restored the

    > COMMAND.PUB.SYS file which is where the udc assignments are kept.

    MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET
    > 9 Gb internal drive - LDEV 2 (all 9 Gb recognized) MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET

    > 1.9 Gb external drive - LDEV 523 EXTRA_EXTERNAL_VOLUME_SET
    > 1.9 Gb external drive - LDEV 524 EXTRA_EXTERNAL_VOLUME_SET
    > I would like to go through the nasty process of switching the LDEV 1 drive

    > with the LDEV 523 drive, so that I have use of the 4 Gb of space that is
    > unrecognized (no, I cannot go to MPE 7.5). All drives are SCSI connected.
    > Does this sound like I could do this ? Below is a sketching of the steps

    > do this - did I leave anything out ?
    > 1) Make sure that all the essential files can fit on 1.9 Gb (which I think

    > they will according the the OS installation manual)
    > 2) Run BULDACCT @
    > 3) Stop all jobs, background processes, network, etc.
    > 4) STORE @.@.@;*T;DIRECTORY;SHOW to 2 separate tapes
    > 5) Purge all ACCOUNTS on EXTRA_EXTERNAL_VOLUME_SET
    > 6) VSCLOSE EXTRA_EXTERNAL_VOLUME_SET
    > 7) VOLUTIL, SCRATCHVOL both disks in EXTRA_EXTERNAL_VOLUME_SET
    > 8) SYSGEN, IO, DDEV 523, DDEV 524, HO, E, KE, TAPE (make 2 SLT tapes), E
    > 9) ctrl-A SHUTDOWN, power off
    > 10) physically swap the LDEV 523 disk with the LDEV 1 disk
    > 11) swap the SCSI addresses on the disks in step 10 above ?
    > 12) disconnect SCSI cable for external drives
    > 13) boot the box from SLT tape created above in step 8
    > 14) INSTALL
    > 15) Reboot box from new LDEV 1 (primary path)
    > 16) ISL> START NORECOVERY NOSYSSTART CONFIG=CONFG9X8 (This is so that it
    > will not remember the old disk configuration)
    > 17) ctrl-A, SHUTDOWN
    > 18) re-attach SCSI cable for external drives
    > 19) Reboot box from primary path
    > 20) ISL> START NORECOVERY NOSYSTART
    > 21) SYSGEN, IO, add all paths, devices back in, HO, E, KE, E
    > 22) ctrl-A, SHUTDOWN
    > 23) Reboot box from primary path
    > 24) ISL> START NORECOVERY NOSYSSTART
    > 25) VOLUTIL, NEWSET command to re-create EXTRA_EXTERNAL_VOLUME_SET
    > 26) SHUTDOWN / Reboot neccessary ?
    > 27) From store tape created in step 4 above, RESTORE
    > *T;BULD@.PUB.SYS;SHOW;OLDDATE
    > 28) OPENQ LP, STREAMS 10, Stream BULDJOB1.PUB (To re-create all accounts,
    > users, groups)
    > 29) From store tape created in step 4 above, RESTORE
    > *T;@.@.@;SHOW;OLDDATE;KEEP;PROGRESS=1;CREATE
    > 30) STREAM BULDJOB2.PUB (To re-create all udc's)
    > 31) SHUTDOWN / Reboot WITH SYSSTART
    > What a monumental task. Please comment if I left something out !
    > Wyell Grunwald

    https://www.mailcontrol.com/sr/wQw0zmjPoHdJTZGyOCrrhg==
    slsDRt+7BL!7qk8DuIzVBW8xr7FDnd0701Q6O9SzTb9Cm8w9rI D4pHOM8uEZ6cYqdoUyXaJMBQvi
    ocSk!!v+vAFTBddCvT2dqsnhCHwhpRIxFJrIvH0HJapznixvO6 umAIiBln!rOs0IJHcWwCSABBQd
    I!WV3Xo5YN!S8X2ZFxrVhykbxl2
    Click on the link above to report this email as spam to BlackSpider.

    ***************************Disclaimer************* **************
    The contents of this e-mail and any file transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. The content may also contain legal, professional or other privileged information. If you received this e-mail in error, please destroy it immediately. You should not copy or use it for any purpose nor disclose its contents to any other person. The views stated herein do not necessarily represent the view of the Company. Please ensure you have adequate virus protection before you open or detach any documents from this transmission. The Company does not accept any liability for viruses.
    Premier Farnell plc
    150 Armley Road Leeds
    LS12 2QQ
    Telephone +44 (0) 870 129 8608
    Fax +44 (0) 870 129 8610
    Registered in England
    Company Number 876412
    Registered Office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE ************************************************** **********

  2. Re: Disk Shuffle

    On Apr 18, 3:42*pm, Bob Schlosser
    wrote:
    > Wyell
    >
    > The directory option will preserve your current accounting structure.

    Wyell,

    A couple of things. During a recent recovery, when I lost my system
    disc, I ran:

    :RESTORE *T;;DIRECTORY;CREATE=CREATOR;SHOW=OFFLINE

    and I KNOW my full backup has 'directory' in it, and it DID NOT
    restore my accounting structure correctly. (yes, I have the updated
    version, I'm on 6.5 as well). Everything was restored, but the group
    and account security was not restored correctly. I would run BULDACCT
    and create the BULDJOB's anyway just in case.

    Second, when you do run BULDACCT, check BULDJOB1 and make sure all of
    your accounts are there. It builds it alphabetically, so just do a
    search on "NEWACCT" and make sure your last account is there. I run my
    BULDACCT in my full backups and build the output files first. However,
    if you don't build the files big enough, BULDACCT does not give any
    kind of error, it just stops!
    I built my BULDJOB1 file at 200,000 records and it wasn't large
    enough. It built the job stream up to record 200000, which was about
    2/3 of what I needed (it only got to the M's) and then just stopped,
    no EOF warning or error, nothing, and then continued on with the
    backup.

    Good luck.

    Dan

+ Reply to Thread